Invisible sceens and mounting an art object on a stucco wall

Closed Thread
Old 12-22-2013, 12:07 PM
Default Invisible sceens and mounting an art object on a stucco wall

Okay now that I have your attention I actually have two questions. lol Anyone who has or has had one of those invisible screens how do you like or hate them? They SEEM a little flimsy to me but I never had one and am considering one.
Second question pertains to mounting an art object on a stucco wall. Any advice or just put a screw in it? Will I chip it if I drill a hole in it? I have never worked will a stucco wall before. Thanks for any handy man advice!
Old 12-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,173 Times in 441 Posts
Default not familiar with screen but...

you need an anchor screw for stucco wall....We were fortunate on a pre-own, all holes already in the correct place...
Old 12-22-2013, 02:37 PM

Most stucco walls are either concrete block or a poured concrete wall. The stucco is just a thin skim coat over it. So use any fastener that will work with concrete and you should be fine. A hammer drill and masonry bit will help, but isn't absolutely necessary. A regular bit and drill will work but it will dull or ruin the bit.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:52 PM
Default one answer down

No one on this forum has an invisible screen? Or no one has an opinion?
Old 12-22-2013, 05:02 PM
Sage

What exactly is an invisible screen?
Old 12-22-2013, 05:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,413 Times in 2,413 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by livsea2 View Post
Okay now that I have your attention I actually have two questions. lol Anyone who has or has had one of those invisible screens how do you like or hate them? They SEEM a little flimsy to me but I never had one and am considering one.
Second question pertains to mounting an art object on a stucco wall. Any advice or just put a screw in it? Will I chip it if I drill a hole in it? I have never worked will a stucco wall before. Thanks for any handy man advice!
Use TapCon screws for mounting on block. You may chip when drilling the pilot hole. As usual go slow and enjoy the moment..........................
Old 12-22-2013, 05:12 PM

We have two invisible screens. One on our front door and another on the door going to the garage. We have a rolling screen for our garage door. Makes for plenty of breeze in the house.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:14 PM
Default invisible screens

They are screens that "disappear" into the door jamb. They re very light weight and flexible and pull across the door opening when you want a screen then retract back into their "garage" when not in use. Popular here in the villages but not up north I guess because I have never seen them until I got here.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:16 PM

If you mean one of the roller type screen doors that retracts when not in use, I have one on my home. I don't use it however, because of the screen mesh color. Mine is a black mesh fabric and when I pull it across and open the front door, from the street you can see straight into the house. It looks like I've forgotten to close the door. If that is what you are referring to as an "invisible screen" I would HIGHLY recommend you choose a light color screen fabric - like white or a light beige. A light color stops your eye from seeing through a screen while a dark color allows you to see through the screen as if it wasn't there. You may also remember that when choosing a screen color for your lanai.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRE1 View Post
If you mean one of the roller type screen doors that retracts when not in use, I have one on my home. I don't use it however, because of the screen mesh color. Mine is a black mesh fabric and when I pull it across and open the front door, from the street you can see straight into the house. It looks like I've forgotten to close the door. If that is what you are referring to as an "invisible screen" I would HIGHLY recommend you choose a light color screen fabric - like white or a light beige. A light color stops your eye from seeing through a screen while a dark color allows you to see through the screen as if it wasn't there. You may also remember that when choosing a screen color for your lanai.
THANK YOU! This is the best advice I have heard I appreciate it!
Old 12-22-2013, 06:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,939 Times in 794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by livsea2 View Post
THANK YOU! This is the best advice I have heard I appreciate it!
We had one of these screens up north in Michigan, and we loved it. Our garage was tight, and this was the only way to have a screen door. Our only problem was that we (and the dog) kept walking into it. I finally painted some little x's on it.

I am lobbying for another one down here for our door into the garage.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.