Iris Lanai need opinion

Closed Thread
Old 09-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodgirl View Post
When I was in college I had to park out of doors. In just 2 years the pait was virtually ruined on my car. The Florida sun wreaks havoc on the paint, I'm afraid! certainly that has improved over the years, but I also found a snake inside once!
Today's paints used on cars and the same paints used on carts will hold up fine for many years in the sun.

Our carts are solar so we want them out during the day anyway

I will likely put my small car in and my pickup will stay in the driveway.

If you look at the cost of a golf cart garage at about $10,000 and because it makes the home about 8' wider you need a larger lot for an additional $10 plus thousand for over $20,000, pay more in taxes I guess, I'll pass.

I can buy several golf carts for that same money.

As for the snakes, you can get them in garage or lanai, they are harmless.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Sage

Pulling in the garage is also mighty nice when it's pouring outside.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:47 PM
Gold member

What do you think a hail storm will do to that paint job?
Old 09-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Sage

Nothing really, it can happen while driving or shopping.

Can't justify the need for that reason.

If severe you have insurance, still have $20K + to spend on other things.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Gold member
Location: Northfield IL, Tampa FL, Norway, Boynton Beach FL, Highland Park IL, Gilchrist soon!

Personally, for myself, the covered parking in inclement weather and the added storage warrant the additional cost. Plus perhaps not having to clean the car quite as often or worry about the condition of the car. For me, it's just my preference, as I currently have only a 1 1/2 car garage which houses an antique car. So when I carry in packages, come home late at night, it's raining or (horrors) snowing, I have to exit without that convenience. For some it doesn't really matter but for others it is a nice extra! I heard also that if you live on a golf coarse, that necessitates the GC garage if you have the space on the lot. Not sure of this however as I cannot remember where I heard or read it!

Wherever I am is where I'm supposed to be
Old 09-03-2012, 06:41 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljetmet View Post
Hi

We're building a Lantana and can go back 2 ft on our lot. We're actually going to extend the house two feet and keep the Lanai as per plan. We'll furnish the lanai with wicker chairs, sofa and a coffee table of some sort. Not sure what kind of table (for eating) if any at this point.

Hope someone with a standard Iris lanai answers you. You can always bump the thread say every couple of days. People just don't come on TOTV to view every day. Good luck!
Thank you for your response. My mind set I guess is still with alot of entertaining as we do now. I guess we just won't have a large dining area out there as we do now.....tough decision.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:51 PM
Default Lanai

Dont make the mistake of not picking a lot with no room to expand. I see too many resales because of poor lot selection.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missypie View Post
We have a hold on a lot and are allowed no expansions at all.

Do any Iris owners find that their standard Lanai is sufficient, size wise for you?
If you like to entertain, and the expense of a larger lot fits in your budget, you'd probably be happier splurging for the extended lanai. We have the standard lanai and it works for us, but we aren't big entertainers. The biggest negative to me on the lanai is the narrow end, if you don't extend it, the narrow end is kind of wasted space; can't really put anything down there but a chair or two.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:22 PM

For what it's worth, we just built a new Iris and were able to expand the lanai 4 ft and the garage 2ft. We love to entertain as well and the lanai is now perfect, however it was difficult to find a lot deep enough to do this. Budget was also a consideration for us so you have to do what you can do. We upgraded things that would be difficult to change such as the expansions, rounded corners, higher baseboards and additional outlets, ceramic tile and upgraded cabinets. We waited to upgrade appliances, put in our own ceiling fans and hired 48 hrs for blinds after closing. We don't live there yet but hope to be there by fall of next year. I am sure whateveryou decide will be lovely. Good luck.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.