Irrigation system solenoid and valve locations?

Old 05-06-2024, 09:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,988 Times in 2,492 Posts

I suspect it the rubber diaphragm? It you rotate the solenoid counter clockwise the zone should turn on manually. This should let know if it’s the diaphragm (zone does not come on) or solenoid zone comes on. When I had zone failure with Hunter 100 globe valves it was rubber diaphragm plugged up/deteriorated and not working.

Amazon.com

The white plastic (in picture) if I remember broke/deteriorated not letting diaphragm to work. I have square valves with 4 screws holding body together. But, I live in older section and maybe using the larger 6 housing screws in newer areas?
Old 05-06-2024, 09:54 AM
Default Solenoid location

Quote:
Originally Posted by CybrSage View Post
I am pretty sure the solenoid has failed for Zone 4 in my irrigation system but am having a heck of a time finding where it is located. I have a Moonstone, a patio villa. Does anyone know what the container looks like that houses the solenoids and valves? The solenoids and valves are not exposed - that would have made it very easy.

Thanks for any help on locating these. I will have a wire finder in a week or two and can trace it out, but with the heat and lack of rain, my grass is dying (which is how I found out the zone has failed).

Additional Info:
I am pretty sure it is a solenoid, though it could be block in the line (I have an endoscope and will survey it tomorrow) since the entire zone is not working. To verify it was not the controller, I moved the wire for zone 4 to zone 1 (which is working) and nothing happened. Putting zone 1 back in place showed zone 1 working just fine.
the solenoids are located on the side of the house near your A/C unit. They are in a box in the ground with a cover over it. its easy to find this inground box as it is next to the house and near your HVAC outside unit
Old 05-06-2024, 09:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,814 Times in 5,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashort View Post
the solenoids are located on the side of the house near your A/C unit. They are in a box in the ground with a cover over it. its easy to find this inground box as it is next to the house and near your HVAC outside unit
Mine is in the front yard, not near the HVAC unit.
Old 05-06-2024, 12:18 PM

Ugh, at this point I am just going to call for service. I dug out the stones and such and found the wire and piping. The wire leaves the house and turns towards the back of the house.

It leaves the stones and heads into grass. Florida grass is very strange, much harder to dig than northern grasses.

So far, I know it is 9 inches deep and about 22 inches from the house. Dug two more holes, one showed it still heading towards the back, the other I dug near the back and did not find the wire.

I have 20 some odd feet to search and my wire tracer is only good down to 3 inches. Manual digging in spots reqired.

If I get a sudden burst of strength coupled with desire, I will try another spot between them. Blah...why did they have to bury it out in the yard? They know it will need to be worked on.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 05-06-2024, 12:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,814 Times in 5,296 Posts

OP, most irrigation maintenance technicians use the solenoid valves every time they visit to operate the system manually. Obviously, you don't have a maintenance service. Normally, I wouldn't have a service either, but Massey checks my system quarterly for $40 per visit. When I have a broken sprinkler or a leak, they respond quickly and their cost is very nominal, or sometimes there is no charge. If you don't have a service, you may have a problem scheduling someone to come out, and they may charge you a few hundred dollars.
Old 05-06-2024, 01:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,988 Times in 2,492 Posts

Somebody they lives in patio villa should be able to tell where the irrigation zone box location? I would suspect they are in same locations if house there in around same age as you’re.
Old 05-06-2024, 01:58 PM

Use caution if you look inside the sprinkler valve box to attempt the work yourself. I took the lid off mine recently just to remove sand/silt that accumulates with time & startled the snake living there.
Old 05-06-2024, 02:01 PM

I will see if I can get a regular service setup for trsting and maintenance. Good idea.

My AC unit is on the opposite side of the house from where the irrigation control box is located.

Going to try two most spots then surrender.
Old 05-10-2024, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashort View Post
Turns out they are near the AC unit. The box has a purple lid, which was buried under dirt with stines on top. The box was filled with sand as well.

Easy replacement of the failed solenoid.

Thabks everyone for all the help!

Tags
zone, solenoid, working, system, solenoids

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.