Is or isn't it?

Closed Thread
Old 05-13-2018, 12:10 PM
Default Is or isn't it?

I was in my golf cart at the WALMART community store by Colony and went out the back to go to the SHELL station on the north side of 466A and was sitting at the light when someone stopped me and said I was not allowed to cross in my cart. There are no signs on the north bound side for "no carts beyond this point". I later checked the south bound side and it has the sign but I wonder if that sign was placed BEFORE 466A was finished. I also checked on-line maps and couldn't find any newer than 2015. The one listed here has hand drawn additions for south of 466A. So does anyone have a supported answer?
Old 05-13-2018, 12:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

No. You cannot cross 466A. You need to take the tunnel
Old 05-13-2018, 12:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

I bet the local sheriff would know.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:16 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

You cannot legally cross 466a in a golf cart. You must use the tunnel under 466a just west of the intersection you mentioned to cross.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:01 PM
Sage

ONLY "if" you have a registered, licensed street legal may you cross there! I've seen unregistered coming out of Bob Evans and crossing 2 lanes of traffic to go to the left-turn lane and that isn't legal neither. You all need to use the tunnel!!!!
Old 05-13-2018, 01:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajoe View Post
I was in my golf cart at the WALMART community store by Colony and went out the back to go to the SHELL station on the north side of 466A and was sitting at the light when someone stopped me and said I was not allowed to cross in my cart. There are no signs on the north bound side for "no carts beyond this point". I later checked the south bound side and it has the sign but I wonder if that sign was placed BEFORE 466A was finished. I also checked on-line maps and couldn't find any newer than 2015. The one listed here has hand drawn additions for south of 466A. So does anyone have a supported answer?
All Scheduled GOLF CART SAFTEY CLINIC Meetings - The VHA

Lots of good info. if you don't know.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
ONLY "if" you have a registered, licensed street legal may you cross there! I've seen unregistered coming out of Bob Evans and crossing 2 lanes of traffic to go to the left-turn lane and that isn't legal neither. You all need to use the tunnel!!!!
Can a street legal cart actually cross 466A? A golf cart that can exceed 20 ph is considered a low speed vehicle. As such it must be registered, licensed, insured to be street legal. As such it can not drive on a street with a speed limit greater than 35 mph. 466A has a speed limit of 45. So again I ask, since I do not know, can a street legal cart cross there?
Old 05-13-2018, 02:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Call the non emergency sumter county police and ask them directly, but it is my understanding that "street legal" golf carts cannot use or cross any road with a posted speed limit ABOVE 35 miles per hour.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:34 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
No. You cannot cross 466A. You need to take the tunnel
more information from VHA about golf cart rules ->Golf Cart and LSV Questions & Answers - Golf Cart Safety

and the exception of course

Last edited by twoplanekid; 05-13-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
more information from VHA about golf cart rules ->Golf Cart and LSV Questions & Answers - Golf Cart Safety
From the site that is shown:
A LSV is defined as a four-wheel electric vehicle whose top speed is greater than 20 mph, but less than 25 mph. LSVs may operate on streets where the posted limit is 35 mph or less. LSVs can also cross roads that have a speed limit greater than 35 mph.

Bottom line -- an LSV can cross 466A, but can not operate on 466A.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiebill View Post
Can a street legal cart actually cross 466A? A golf cart that can exceed 20 ph is considered a low speed vehicle. As such it must be registered, licensed, insured to be street legal. As such it can not drive on a street with a speed limit greater than 35 mph. 466A has a speed limit of 45. So again I ask, since I do not know, can a street legal cart cross there?
Yes they can cross at a controlled intersection. They cannot drive on any road that's posted at speeds OVER 35 mph. A "regular" golf-cart must stay on the MMP or diamond lanes and never cross these highways!! A cart that exceeds 20 mph NEEDS to be a registered/licensed street legal. There are "some" folks that think they're above the law and will fix their "regular" carts to go faster BUT they aren't street legal.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Yes they can cross at a controlled intersection.
That is incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post

and the exception of course
Since the OP said..."So does anyone have a supported answer?" ...I believe Twoplane's link (Q&A #11) meets that requirement.

Quote:
Golf carts may not cross over or drive on Highway 27/441, CR 466, CR 466A, Griffin Avenue or any other road with a posted speed limit of 35 mph or higher.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Call the non emergency sumter county police and ask them directly, but it is my understanding that "street legal" golf carts cannot use or cross any road with a posted speed limit ABOVE 35 miles per hour.
Wrong. A street legal cart can cross roads with speed limits of 45. For example 466A
Golf Cart Requirements | The Villages Florida

Last edited by photo1902; 05-13-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:20 PM
Gold member

I cross 441 in a regular cart all the time, to get to my Spruce Creek rentals.
This 175th St crossing was approved by FDOT and Marion County.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
I bet the local sheriff would know.

He does and (technically) you can. Our club had a a talk and the info was checked it for us.

The law states as long as there is a controlled intersection - a light (and a golf cart permitted path) you can cross.

Some of the deputies aren't aware of the actual law but here is the relevant laws (I decided to redact our club name and other non-pertinent names).

This refers to BOTH street-legal and NON-street legal with different rules so read the entire post.

Quote:
At the most recent meeting of the xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx club stated that street-legal golf carts could not cross highways where the speed limit was greater than 45 MPH. We did not believe that to be true, and sent xxxx what we believed were the relevant Florida statutes. We asked him to confirm with Lt. xxxxxxx. we received the following e-mail today:

" Xxxxxxxx, I finally got your answer from Lt. xxxxxxx. Yes, it was determined that there was confusion within all Law Enforcement agencies in The Villages over LSV 45 mph crossings but it stemmed from an amendment put out several years ago. Bottom-line is LSVs can cross a major roadway at a controlled crossing point, such as an intersection."

So the answer is yes, street-legal carts can cross a highway, regardless of the posted speed limit on that highway, so long as there is a street-legal road available to you after you have crossed the highway. Carts that are not street-legal cannot cross highways unless there is an "official traffic control device" at that crossing, and even then, the maximum speed for the crossing highway cannot exceed 45 MPH.
For your information, here are the pertinent Florida statutes:
316.2126 Authorized use of golf carts, low-speed vehicles, and utility vehicles.—
(1) In addition to the powers granted by ss. 316.212 and 316.2125, municipalities are authorized to use golf carts and utility vehicles, as defined in s. 320.01, upon any state, county, or municipal roads located within the corporate limits of such municipalities, subject to the following conditions:
(a) Golf carts and utility vehicles must comply with the operational and safety requirements in ss. 316.212 and 316.2125, and with any more restrictive ordinances enacted by the local governmental entity pursuant to s. 316.212(8), and shall be operated only by municipal employees for municipal purposes, including, but not limited to, police patrol, traffic enforcement, and inspection of public facilities.
(b) In addition to the safety equipment required in s. 316.212(6) and any more restrictive safety equipment required by the local governmental entity pursuant to s. 316.212(8), such golf carts and utility vehicles must be equipped with sufficient lighting and turn signal equipment.
(c) Golf carts and utility vehicles may be operated only on state roads that have a posted speed limit of 30 miles per hour or less.
(d) Golf carts and utility vehicles may cross a portion of the State Highway System which has a posted speed limit of 45 miles per hour or less only at an intersection with an official traffic control device.
(e) Golf carts and utility vehicles may operate on sidewalks adjacent to state highways only if such golf carts and utility vehicles yield to pedestrians and if the sidewalks are at least 5 feet wide.

316.2122 Operation of a low-speed vehicle or mini truck on certain roadways.—The operation of a low-speed vehicle as defined in s. 320.01 or a mini truck as defined in s. 320.01 on any road is authorized with the following restrictions:
(1) A low-speed vehicle or mini truck may be operated only on streets where the posted speed limit is 35 miles per hour or less. This does not prohibit a low-speed vehicle or mini truck from crossing a road or street at an intersection where the road or street has a posted speed limit of more than 35 miles per hour.
(2) A low-speed vehicle must be equipped with headlamps, stop lamps, turn signal lamps, taillamps, reflex reflectors, parking brakes, rearview mirrors, windshields, seat belts, and vehicle identification numbers.
(3) A low-speed vehicle or mini truck must be registered and insured in accordance with s. 320.02 and titled pursuant to chapter 319.
(4) Any person operating a low-speed vehicle or mini truck must have in his or her possession a valid driver license.
(5) A county or municipality may prohibit the operation of low-speed vehicles or mini trucks on any road under its jurisdiction if the governing body of the county or municipality determines that such prohibition is necessary in the interest of safety.
(6) The Department of Transportation may prohibit the operation of low-speed vehicles or mini trucks on any road under its jurisdiction if it determines that such prohibition is necessary in the interest of safety.

Closed Thread

Tags
466a, side, north, checked, bound

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.