It's a nice place

Closed Thread
Old 12-20-2013, 06:59 AM
Gold member

What is the big deal with snow ----- nothing said about the 95 degree and 95 humidity "That I cant Take" --- oh how i remember (summers) the cool nights and clear days in the catskill mountain 70 degrees and little humidity
Old 12-20-2013, 07:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

If some said snow was white, a few posters would say it was black.

Gamby... I am sorry to hear of your confinement. I hope you have a sweet, nice, peaceful and NOT cold Christmas.

And a New Year filled with feeling better.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:55 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
If some said snow was white, a few posters would say it was black.

Gamby... I am sorry to hear of your confinement. I hope you have a sweet, nice, peaceful and NOT cold Christmas.

And a New Year filled with feeling better.
Some would say yellow

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 12-20-2013, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
Some would say yellow
Are you talking about my son when he was in the 7th grade, or my dog?

Gamby... peace and better health to you. I can understand your missing a house you lived in for 42 years. That has to be difficult to leave. I hope life is at least a bit easier for you in this climate.

As for 95 degrees and humidity, I personally can take that much better than two months of 40s followed by three months of 15-30 degrees and bitter wind, dirty snow, followed by 90 days of 40s (West MI). To each our own!
Old 12-20-2013, 09:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
Sorry to hear about your medical limitations and sincerely hope, you get better.

I just typed a long post about this subject and lost it, when I hit the wrong key.

I lived in Bridgeport, CT for 28 years and all I can say is that "CT, is a good state to be from?". Higher taxes, crime, etc. Voted, worst state to be retired in. Although, I enjoy the change of seasons, the winters are unacceptable, to my bones. Last winter with Sandy, and the three and a half feet of snow in one continous snowfall, was more than enough for me. Besides, most of my immediate family, has moved to Florida.

Basically, I will choose living in TV, because 98% of the ttime, one is in shorts and sandals, going around doing things, they really enjoy, in much warmer and beutiful weather. More fun in the sun for me.
What he said....

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 12-20-2013, 10:45 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Every place has a unique beauty if you look for it. My attitude has always been look for the best in any situation and your life will be more enjoyable. We have lived in several places as I moved around in my career and loved every place we lived. We lived for five years in Fargo, ND and found it to be one of the cleanest, safest, and friendliest places we have lived. When we moved to Fargo we heard all the horror stories about people dying during blizzards and forty below wind chill, and I laughed and said I was banking on global warming and soon Fargo would be tropical Because of the expectations we had heading into each winter, we were almost always pleasantly surprised, and actually learned to appreciate the winter, and spring, summer, and fall were magnificent. Now that I am retired and have lots more leisure time, I appreciate the warm winters of Florida which allow me to be outside staying active with things I love to do almost every day. Anyone who wastes their time wishing they were someplace they're not is missing out on a lot of great living.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:15 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default Seattle has 19 sunny days

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
'zactly. Months of gray really got me down.
We have 19 sunny days during the six months of Nov thru April. Not much snow at sea level but it's in the 40's most days. It is a little depressing. People here are all at the same stage of life, so we are finding them more outgoing and friendly than at home. Probably because in Seattle everybody else is working and we aren't, and we never made a group of social friends as we both worked a lot of hours. Also everybody here doesn't have a blue tooth stuck in their ear talking to air, so you can actually say hello. However it is awfully far from our son.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:16 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
Every place has a unique beauty if you look for it. My attitude has always been look for the best in any situation and your life will be more enjoyable. We have lived in several places as I moved around in my career and loved every place we lived. We lived for five years in Fargo, ND and found it to be one of the cleanest, safest, and friendliest places we have lived. When we moved to Fargo we heard all the horror stories about people dying during blizzards and forty below wind chill, and I laughed and said I was banking on global warming and soon Fargo would be tropical Because of the expectations we had heading into each winter, we were almost always pleasantly surprised, and actually learned to appreciate the winter, and spring, summer, and fall were magnificent. Now that I am retired and have lots more leisure time, I appreciate the warm winters of Florida which allow me to be outside staying active with things I love to do almost every day. Anyone who wastes their time wishing they were someplace they're not is missing out on a lot of great living.
very well said
Old 12-21-2013, 03:03 PM
Veteran member

I won't shovel snow anymore. Period. When one has shortness of breath and need to rest after 15 min. or so of shoveling, why take a chance. Yes, cosmopolitan Washington DC was wonderful but not the snow and dreary weather. I get depressed. Visiting London was great but having to live there for a few years and go through wet and low hanging cloud of a weather is another story. Yes, I haven't gone through a whole period of summer yet. I am praying I can survive it. Then all is well.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorio View Post
I won't shovel snow anymore. Period. When one has shortness of breath and need to rest after 15 min. or so of shoveling, why take a chance. Yes, cosmopolitan Washington DC was wonderful but not the snow and dreary weather. I get depressed. Visiting London was great but having to live there for a few years and go through wet and low hanging cloud of a weather is another story. Yes, I haven't gone through a whole period of summer yet. I am praying I can survive it. Then all is well.
I'm with you, Yorio. Dreary is a big problem, no matter what the weather. I think you will enjoy all the sunny summer skies and not mind the heat so much. I doubt it's much hotter/humid than D.C.

You can always go inside to the a/c if it gets too hot, but you can't make the sun come out if it's too glum.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:13 PM
Default snow and cold

The people here are just as nice as in New England.

bull ****, people here are ten times nicer than new england.I lived there 60 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamby View Post
I think everyone makes way to much about the Snow and cold; Sure It's really nice here but so was it in CT, I traveled all over the north east and It's just beautiful. Florida has it's own beauty and there are trade offs.
I gave up the snow and cold which I never minded to move here ;

The trades are the Hurricanes, sink holes, Tornado's, and heat. If it's cold outside you turn up the heat and stay inside in the north, If it's hot here you stay inside and turn on the air.

The people here are just as nice as in New England.
OH ! I think crime here is much higher, not in the villages but Florida in general.
The truth is , I like both places ; In general the cost is about half to live here .
Old 12-22-2013, 01:39 AM

dmorehome !

So many people here ARE FROM NEW ENGLAND! 4 on my street alone.

Re: your post, above.
--------------------------------------------------------------
2bnty !

I lived in P.T. Barnum village (Bridgeport CT) ! when I was young.
It was a rough place then, I can imagine it now.

Your remarks about CT are right , Taxs are high and you lived in a big city with the crime that develops in large cities. I lived in the country ; even so the cost of living was twice as much as here. I mentioned this in my post.

Connecticut is a beautiful State and the people are super nice, They only get cranky when they get old and move to the village. (Just kidding)

Last edited by gamby; 12-22-2013 at 01:42 AM. Reason: add on
Old 12-22-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
What he said....
We loved MN, and the snow was pretty. We love TV; the daily sunshine makes it all worthwhile.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:24 PM

I definitely agree...my home in MA overlooks salt water marshes that reflects the beautiful ever changing seasons. But....yes there is a "but", New England weather can be overcast for days....Florida's consistent sunshine and temperatures is such a mood booster! Looking forward to spending more time there.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.