It's not the dog, it is the owner issue

Closed Thread
Old 11-23-2015, 03:37 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I'd call both animal control and Community Watch every time I saw the dog wandering with no owner in view. As I said, the dog is in true danger from wildlife. While this isn't as much of an issue while a neighborhood is being developed, it is very much so once it has quieted down and critters return. These people are lazy idjits IMO.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-23-2015, 04:57 PM
Veteran member

Sadly the type of neighbor you have will only respond to one thing, money or lack there of. He or she will not change till this dog costs them money. Call animal control and inform them this is an ongoing problem. They will, at some point, fine the neighbor. Then, and only then, will the message be received.

Also, if you’re around when the dog is on your property, take a video. Would not surprise me one bit if neighbor says it’s not their dog.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiring View Post
Sadly the type of neighbor you have will only respond to one thing, money or lack there of. He or she will not change till this dog costs them money. Call animal control and inform them this is an ongoing problem. They will, at some point, fine the neighbor. Then, and only then, will the message be received.

Also, if you’re around when the dog is on your property, take a video. Would not surprise me one bit if neighbor says it’s not their dog.
That is wonderful advice! Thanks for posting.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default I feel your pain!

Regarding turning on sprinklers.....Try motion-detector sprinklers...They work

!http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=C...owspinklers-20
Old 11-23-2015, 06:18 PM
Eternal Member

Maybe you could rub the owners nose in it.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by village dreamer View Post
if you mace the dog it wont hurt it ,but will train it in a hurry. get the stuff that mail men have.
Pepper spray will not do longterm damage to the dog's eyes, but it will have the same effect on the dog as it has on humans, and that is PLENTY OF PAIN for quite some time. Unless an animal is coming at you with intent to harm, macing him is inhumane.

Call Animal Control. Please don't hurt the dog. (I don't think OP would, by the way.)
Old 11-23-2015, 07:31 PM

I think I would tell the neighbor you've seen some rats running through your yard and advise them that you are starting to spread rat poison around.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:18 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
I think our covenants address this situation. Therefore, community standards can do something about it; fine them.
We also have "rules" about lawn ornaments. I know a number of people who have received a letter about removing their lawn ornaments. The owners haven't removed them and nothing further has been done.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:26 PM
Veteran member

I have a question... we have a dog that is very well trained. We let him out in our backyard to "do his business." We are out there with him. We do not allow him to go in the neighbor's yard. If we take him anywhere outside of our yard he is on a leash. (We don't let him do his business in anyone's yard. Plus we always clean up after him.) Is the covenant that our dog has to be on a leash even on our property... and even if we're with him?
Old 11-23-2015, 08:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
I have a question... we have a dog that is very well trained. We let him out in our backyard to "do his business." We are out there with him. We do not allow him to go in the neighbor's yard. If we take him anywhere outside of our yard he is on a leash. (We don't let him do his business in anyone's yard. Plus we always clean up after him.) Is the covenant that our dog has to be on a leash even on our property... and even if we're with him?
Same situation here. Never been a problem and I don't expect it to be...regardless of what strict interpretation of rules might be.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:53 PM
Location: Birmingham, AL, Destin, FL, St. Petersburg, FL, New Orleans, LA - Oct 2012 ~ Tamarind Grove
Default Leash Law

Quote:
It is not so much a Villages rule but actually a County ordinance. I do believe the leash law applies to anytime a dog is outside. If the dog should bolt suddenly for any reason and leave your property, that might open you up for liability. I am a dog walker and many times experience dogs bolting out of garages or off property and running up to me/the dog I am walking in the street. It's scary because dogs act differently when on leash and being charged by another dog and a dog fight could ensue, which is an ugly situation.

To be absolutely sure, please contact Sumter County Animal Services for their definition. I'm not exactly sure how the electric fence plays into this rule either. Your question now has me thinking so I will be contacting Sumter County as well for clarification.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan G View Post
It is not so much a Villages rule but actually a County ordinance. I do believe the leash law applies to any time a dog is outside. If the dog should bolt suddenly for any reason and leave your property, that might open you up for liability. I am a dog walker and many times experience dogs bolting out of garages or off property and running up to me/the dog I am walking in the street. It's scary because dogs act differently when on leash and being charged by another dog and a dog fight could ensue, which is an ugly situation.

To be absolutely sure, please contact Sumter County Animal Services for their definition. I'm not exactly sure how the electric fence plays into this rule either. Your question now has me thinking so I will be contacting Sumter County as well for clarification.
I looked it up. Here is the information from the Lake Sumter website:
What are the leash laws in Sumter County?
County Code 4-10 states that all dogs must be confined on owners property at all times or under direct control or on a leash when off the owners property.

Otherwise, a citation will be issued for the animal running free.
Based on this information.... I can have my dog off-leash if he is on my property. Once I'm off- property, the dog has to be on a leash.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:26 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
I haven't read your deed restrictions, but I have read mine.
From our Declaration of Restrictions, Section 2 Use of Property:
"2.16 Only one dog may be kept by any Owner; provided, however, that at all times said animal, when not within the confines of the Home, shall be restrained by a leash."

Old 11-23-2015, 10:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I think you will find the law requires you to have the dog under your control at all times. If your yard is fenced, no problem. If no fence, yes on a leash - even in your own yard. Not sure about Sumter County but suspect this is the law throughout most of the nation. The key word being “control.”
Old 11-23-2015, 10:37 PM
Veteran member

An invisible fence counts as a leash in Sumter
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, yard, leash, time, owners, unattended, control, called, told, neighbors, clean, made, back, summer, door, north, pay, day, days, nice, law, couple, continue, rules, weeks

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.