It's not the dog, it is the owner issue

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2015, 07:06 AM

I am sure my neighbors also think their dog is well behaved/trained, which is why they continue to let their dog out off leash, unattended, however, I saw this same good dog barking agressively at my lawn guy, and when the owners finally came out to get the dog, the dog did not immediately stop, but continued to be aggressive. So, in my opinion, if the dog is even in your yard, and off leash, it takes only a split second for a dog to bolt away thereby your dog is truly not under your control if in your yard, unfenced or unleashed. I think also, the key phrase is, under control.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:09 AM
Location: Birmingham, AL, Destin, FL, St. Petersburg, FL, New Orleans, LA - Oct 2012 ~ Tamarind Grove
Default Still Confusing...

So from reading the responses. Covenant rules and Sumter County rules differ as it relates to a dog actually being "on leash" vs. "under control by owner."

It might be a good topic of discussion for a future RDOG meeting - if we could get representatives from TV as well as Sumter/Marion/Lake Counties to attend. I'll mention it to Dianne, the President of RDOG.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I think it has come to this;

Talking to the neighbors has either been done or not done enough or not done effectively enough.

Local ordinance and deed restrictions both does require for the dog to be on a leash off of his property.

Snap a picture of the dog off property. AND

OR report it to the Sumter County Sheriff's office.

Or copy this whole thread and give it to the neighbor.

The redistribution of the dog's feces is only venting, poor taste, not gonna work, and really get everyone so mad that no one gives a damn.

Old stubborn people rarely will change their ways or their minds. Living in a neighborhood with constant tension and aggravation is not my idea of a retirement I want.

The local ordinances have been breached and the deed restrictions as well. Call deed restrictions, NOT Community Watch. Call the sheriff if you can show proof with a photograph. Good luck.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
I haven't read your deed restrictions, but I have read mine.
From our Declaration of Restrictions, Section 2 Use of Property:
"2.16 Only one dog may be kept by any Owner; provided, however, that at all times said animal, when not within the confines of the Home, shall be restrained by a leash."
That is a very good and informative post.

If a neighbor violates a Deed Restriction, who can you call to report the violation?
Old 11-24-2015, 01:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think it has come to this;

Talking to the neighbors has either been done or not done enough or not done effectively enough.

Local ordinance and deed restrictions both does require for the dog to be on a leash off of his property.

Snap a picture of the dog off property. AND

OR report it to the Sumter County Sheriff's office.

Or copy this whole thread and give it to the neighbor.

The redistribution of the dog's feces is only venting, poor taste, not gonna work, and really get everyone so mad that no one gives a damn.

Old stubborn people rarely will change their ways or their minds. Living in a neighborhood with constant tension and aggravation is not my idea of a retirement I want.

The local ordinances have been breached and the deed restrictions as well. Call deed restrictions, NOT Community Watch. Call the sheriff if you can show proof with a photograph. Good luck.
AND, since you have to live with these people (or behind them, as it were...), taking such strong actions as throwing feces or causing their dog pain is going to make the rest of your retirement a bit more difficult than calling Animal Control. And it may even horrify the neighbors you do get like.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post

If a neighbor violates a Deed Restriction, who can you call to report the violation?
Be sure to read your own deed restrictions, as they are different for different areas. For instance, in our area two pets are allowed per household, no weight restrictions, and they both can be dogs. And you can bring as many down with you as you have when you buy. You just can't replace any over two in number.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:14 PM

Well, the dog finally came in our yard, so, I will contact animal control. We decided that since the dog was staying out of our yard, and that was our main issue, we were not going to report anything, but, guess we will report it now.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by j8384 View Post
Well, the dog finally came in our yard, so, I will contact animal control. We decided that since the dog was staying out of our yard, and that was our main issue, we were not going to report anything, but, guess we will report it now.
I am sorry that your neighbor is putting a defenseless pet,for whom you obviously have no ill will, in such a tough spot. I hope for a peaceful resolution to your problem. Best luck, j8384.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:37 PM
Veteran member

When we lived up north, we had the same problem. I bought a large can of finely ground black pepper and sprinkled it on the lawn. As dogs usually sniff before they go, I thought that it would work. It did! The dog began sneezing and ran home. Never came back.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
You are obviously caring people. It's a shame that you've been forced to call Animal Control for a second time.
I agree that it's something you need to do for your peace of mind.
And it's a much more humane alternative than some of the proposed solutions, like mace and bb guns!
Old 11-24-2015, 05:22 PM

Well, I decided not to call this time. The circumstances were different. The owner was out with the dog, off leash of course, but I am not calling because they didn't just open the door to let the dog out. Once she saw her dog in my yard, the look on her face when she was calling to return said a lot to me, plus it didn't potty. This one is forgiven, but, recorded. I am sure they would have called and reported me though.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Well, I decided not to call this time. The circumstances were different. The owner was out with the dog, off leash of course, but I am not calling because they didn't just open the door to let the dog out. Once she saw her dog in my yard, the look on her face when she was calling to return said a lot to me, plus it didn't potty. This one is forgiven, but, recorded. I am sure they would have called and reported me though.
You've taken the high road.
Hopefully your neighbor will do the same.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:04 PM
Default Maybe...

Quote:
Maybe and hopefully your rude neighbors have been reading this entire thread
Old 11-24-2015, 10:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Be sure to read your own deed restrictions, as they are different for different areas.
That is very good advice. Thanks.

We visited The Villages for a few days last month, and liked what we saw. We plan to try to sell our house in Virginia next year and then come to TV and rent for awhile and then decide where we would like to live.

Based on this discussion, we will certainly read the Deed Restrictions for any property we consider buying.

If you find that any of your neighbors are violating the Deed Restrictions in your neighborhood, where can you go to file a complaint?
Old 11-24-2015, 10:15 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post

VCDD Community Standards

984 Old Mill Run
The Villages, FL 32162

Community Standards
Phone: 352-751-3912
Fax: 352-751-6707

Closed Thread

Tags
dog, yard, leash, time, owners, unattended, control, called, told, neighbors, clean, made, back, summer, door, north, pay, day, days, nice, law, couple, continue, rules, weeks

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.