Joggers have the Right-of-Way?

Closed Thread
Old 01-03-2014, 05:04 PM
Cool

Another serious runner here, having run all around the Villages area for the past three years. Being a reasonable man, I agree that everyone should be mindful and courteous to others using the streets around here. As stated above, and to those who don't believe it, see what happens when you strike a pedestrian. I was hit about two years ago and like the police sergeant told the motorist, who was adamant that I was at fault, "I'll tell you this just once - bicyclists and pedestrians have the right of way and are not required to carry insurance. Your insurance takes care of this". Now I know what a lot of you are thinking, "bicyclists and pedestrians (don't) always have the right of way" and I won't argue this point with you.
What I do take offense to is the comment about "runners" feeling that they are of the utmost importance out there and everyone should yield to them. I can easily say the same about virtually hundreds (yes hundreds) of golf cart drivers whom apparently feel that the rules of the road do not apply to them. Everyday when I run, I can ALWAYS count numbers and numbers of golf carts rolling right through stop signs without even slowing down. Stop signs are optional for many cart drivers.
The comments regarding having to stop fast if a cart driver comes upon a runner in the cart lane "would cause a rear end pile up" tells me that many of you aren't driving properly. Rear end collisions are ALWAYS a result of following too closely. I could ask the cart drivers - where are YOU going in such a hurry?
I don't believe I have ever run on a cart path along a highway here, where there isn't ample room for a cart to pass an oncoming runner and remain in the golf cart lane, if the cart operator slows to a prudent speed. A human body (especially a runner) is only a couple of feet wide.
Use your heads, use caution, be courteous, slow down, enjoy life, nice matters.
Happy New Year!
Old 01-03-2014, 05:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X View Post
Another serious runner here, having run all around the Villages area for the past three years. Being a reasonable man, I agree that everyone should be mindful and courteous to others using the streets around here. As stated above, and to those who don't believe it, see what happens when you strike a pedestrian. I was hit about two years ago and like the police sergeant told the motorist, who was adamant that I was at fault, "I'll tell you this just once - bicyclists and pedestrians have the right of way and are not required to carry insurance. Your insurance takes care of this". Now I know what a lot of you are thinking, "bicyclists and pedestrians (don't) always have the right of way" and I won't argue this point with you.
What I do take offense to is the comment about "runners" feeling that they are of the utmost importance out there and everyone should yield to them. I can easily say the same about virtually hundreds (yes hundreds) of golf cart drivers whom apparently feel that the rules of the road do not apply to them. Everyday when I run, I can ALWAYS count numbers and numbers of golf carts rolling right through stop signs without even slowing down. Stop signs are optional for many cart drivers.
The comments regarding having to stop fast if a cart driver comes upon a runner in the cart lane "would cause a rear end pile up" tells me that many of you aren't driving properly. Rear end collisions are ALWAYS a result of following too closely. I could ask the cart drivers - where are YOU going in such a hurry?
I don't believe I have ever run on a cart path along a highway here, where there isn't ample room for a cart to pass an oncoming runner and remain in the golf cart lane, if the cart operator slows to a prudent speed. A human body (especially a runner) is only a couple of feet wide.
Happy New Year!
Well said.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:23 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
Is there a statute stating that, or is that your opinion?

In any event, I understand the stress that concrete sidewalks put on one's knees. My runner friends all prefer to run on the asphalt as it is easier on their bodies. if a runner doesn't move over when I come upon them in my cart, I just use my mirrors to check the traffic, and move out into traffic to go around the jogger when it is appropriate. I have never found it to be a big deal. In fact, I can't remember the last time I had to go around a jogger, I encounter them so rarely. It isn't like there are thousands of them clogging up our streets and recreational trails.
Hi mickey 100 Yes, however, without even having to look it up can anyone believe that a county would construct a diamond lane for use by pedestrians, crosswalks yes, but diamond lanes .

My point is that too many people including LOE's will automatically defer to the pedestrians having the ROW ALWAYS. Yet in a court of law that is not ALWAYS.

Personal Best Regards
Old 01-03-2014, 05:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X View Post
Happy New Year!
I don't know who that cop was, but he gave wrong information. Cyclists must follow the driving laws and can definitely be at fault. they can hit a pedestrian or car or cause an accident by running a stop sign, etc., and be at fault. If a kid/walker/jogger/oblivious person cuts across the street or darts out into the street and you hit him with your car, you will not be at fault.

Maybe your circumstances were different, but his statement is incorrect. And I'm glad you're okay.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I don't know who that cop was, but he gave wrong information. Cyclists must follow the driving laws and can definitely be at fault. they can hit a pedestrian or car or cause an accident by running a stop sign, etc., and be at fault. If a kid/walker/jogger/oblivious person cuts across the street or darts out into the street and you hit him with your car, you will not be at fault.

Maybe your circumstances were different, but his statement is incorrect. And I'm glad you're okay.
You are, of course, correct. It is always possible that any person, in a vehicle, or on foot, could be at fault. Perhaps the sergeant was referring to his practical experience with the results of such accidents in a court situation. He may be suggesting that the driver will usually lose.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:09 PM

I also have been running for over 30 years and do about 30 miles a week. I would never give a cart or car driver the opportunity to hit me. I am long out of the way before they are near me. Maybe the driver is drunk... Never know... I happy to wait until they pass - my stride is regained quickly.
Just saying...
Old 01-04-2014, 03:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microcodeboy View Post
I also have been running for over 30 years and do about 30 miles a week. I would never give a cart or car driver the opportunity to hit me. I am long out of the way before they are near me. Maybe the driver is drunk... Never know... I happy to wait until they pass - my stride is regained quickly.
Just saying...
Good point! It could be a distracted driver, too. I think you point out the reasoning behind giving a little to gain a lot. If everyone just stayed concerned with their own and the other's safety rather than who's in the right, these issues would go away.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:45 PM

As a longtime runner I've learned to never take anything for granted. Today, while out running I had another incident with a car coming out from a side street onto a main road. I was running up O'Dell and this vehicle was taking a right onto O'Dell from Stillwater Trail. The driver looked left and hit the gas to turn right without looking right and was shocked to see me there.

This is very common. People DO NOT LOOK RIGHT when they take these turns. They look left and turn right WITHOUT looking a great majority of the time. As I come upon these situations I always always peer into the car to see the driver's face to make sure they see me before they turn. Today the guy was quite shocked and apologetic knowing exactly what he had done. I've never had this with the carts that I can recall.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.