New Purchase Inspection Questions

Closed Thread
Old 06-24-2011, 09:19 AM
Default New Purchase Inspection Questions

Trying to figure out if most buyers have a home inspection before close or wait and do during the 1st year and the warranty is in effect. Any upside in waiting even thou you lose the leverage if done before purchasing? Also we are from a heavy Radon area. Is that an issue in Fla and did you have it checked out?

Thanks for the help Bob Del
Old 06-24-2011, 09:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdel View Post
Trying to figure out if most buyers have a home inspection before close or wait and do during the 1st year and the warranty is in effect. Any upside in waiting even thou you lose the leverage if done before purchasing? Also we are from a heavy Radon area. Is that an issue in Fla and did you have it checked out?

Thanks for the help Bob Del
Can't have inspection before closing on new homes, but that is not bad really, you will see. Anything that needs fixed at the end of the year is fixed and is fixed immediately. It is amazing!

I thought radon gases were only issues in below ground areas, like basements and we certainly have NO basements in TV.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:42 AM
Veteran member
Default Radon check

Radon levels should be checked. It can seep through the pours of the concrete slab.

Had my two homes in CT checked and when we moved to the burbs of Memphis, also checked. (they had no idea what I was talking about 11 years ago)

From past TOTV threads, Radon should be checked. The issue is ,if they find levels that are too high, it's a problem because in a basement you can vent it out from there. Not sure what you would do in a slab home. Anyone care to comment. I'd be interested as well.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:04 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljetmet View Post
Radon levels should be checked. It can seep through the pours of the concrete slab.

Had my two homes in CT checked and when we moved to the burbs of Memphis, also checked. (they had no idea what I was talking about 11 years ago)

From past TOTV threads, Radon should be checked. The issue is ,if they find levels that are too high, it's a problem because in a basement you can vent it out from there. Not sure what you would do in a slab home. Anyone care to comment. I'd be interested as well.
You might be interested in what you'll find at this site by scrolling down (?) to "Basement and Slab-on-Grade Homes."

http://www.epa.gov/radon/pubs/consgu...oundationtypes
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 06-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member

[QUOTE

From past TOTV threads, Radon should be checked. The issue is ,if they find levels that are too high, it's a problem because in a basement you can vent it out from there. Not sure what you would do in a slab home. Anyone care to comment. I'd be interested as well.[/QUOTE]

Unless there is some history on Radon exposure in this area , I would think that there is no need for a Radon test on the home. We live in an area of Maryland where the possibility of Radon in homes is alledged to be a problem(mostly voiced by Radon testers). Much of the literature now points out that much of the scare is marketing hype by those who hope to profit from the "discovery " of Radon in your basement. Maybe some other posters can comment on ligit reports of Radon contamination in this area.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
[QUOTE

Unless there is some history on Radon exposure in this area , I would think that there is no need for a Radon test on the home. We live in an area of Maryland where the possibility of Radon in homes is alledged to be a problem(mostly voiced by Radon testers). Much of the literature now points out that much of the scare is marketing hype by those who hope to profit from the "discovery " of Radon in your basement. Maybe some other posters can comment on ligit reports of Radon contamination in this area.[/QUOTE]

If you listed to every ad on television from all those doom and gloom ambulance chasing lawyers, we should all be dead by now .How did we ever survive all these years without the assistance of these greedy self -righteous tv lawyers?
Old 06-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Veteran member
Default Radon

So maybe I should just worry about sinkholes or hurricanes...or

Improving my golf score!
Old 06-24-2011, 03:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentucky blue View Post
... We live in an area of Maryland where the possibility of Radon in homes is alledged to be a problem (mostly voiced by Radon testers). Much of the literature now points out that much of the scare is marketing hype by those who hope to profit from the "discovery " of Radon in your basement. Maybe some other posters can comment on ligit reports of Radon contamination in this area.
Our home near Baltimore was sold in May and as part of the buyer's inspection they ran a randon test. We purchased the home new in 1998 and had never tested for randon. Our basement came up with a randon level of .22 and they said anything above .04 is high. So we had to have a PVC pipe installed into the basement floor through the sump pump and then it exits through the exterior wall and then up halfway the side of the house. The pipe is about 5" thick until it gets outside then widens so that a small fan motor is installed inside. The system runs 24/7 and cost us $865 to install.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:29 PM
nkrifats

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Our home near Baltimore was sold in May and as part of the buyer's inspection they ran a randon test. We purchased the home new in 1998 and had never tested for randon. Our basement came up with a randon level of .22 and they said anything above .04 is high. So we had to have a PVC pipe installed into the basement floor through the sump pump and then it exits through the exterior wall and then up halfway the side of the house. The pipe is about 5" thick until it gets outside then widens so that a small fan motor is installed inside. The system runs 24/7 and cost us $865 to install.
Same here for home I am selling in RI.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:35 PM
Platinum member

We were able to inspect our home before closing. (Just check for unlocked doors) We then placed blue painters tape where we found issue. On the morning of the walk through all items were fixed and not a word from the builder. During the first year we called home warranty if we had an issue. ( Home warranty folks are great.) Just before the end of our first year we hired an inspector. He sent his findings to home warranty and with in three days all of the minor issues were resolved. Good luck on your new home.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljetmet View Post
So maybe I should just worry about sinkholes or hurricanes...or

Improving my golf score!
Don't lose any sleep over radon,sinkholes, or hurricanes, but work on your golf game.There are 3 ways to improve your game,take lessons,practice constantly, and my favorite ,start cheating.It would also help if you wore a compass in place of your watch.The hardest thing about playing with my girlfriend , is saying,"great shot,honey"..........154 times!!!!
Old 06-24-2011, 09:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
You might be interested in what you'll find at this site by scrolling down (?) to "Basement and Slab-on-Grade Homes."

http://www.epa.gov/radon/pubs/consgu...oundationtypes
VERY interesting read. THANK YOU for posting this SKYGUY79

Last edited by mrfixit; 06-24-2011 at 09:39 PM. Reason: .
Old 06-25-2011, 09:25 AM
Veteran member

If you are buying a re-sale home, definitely get a certified home inspector before closing and make sure all items are corrected before closing.

In a new home, the one year warranty inspection works out good.

Don't know about radon down in Florida but I would doubt it. I think it is the wrong kind of soil/mineral makeup in the ground.

I had to have my house tested for radon in Maryland before selling. No problem with mine but lots of radon in Maryland.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:22 AM

I'm assuming you are purchasing a new home and if that's correct, don't worry about a walk-thru prior to closing because you have a one year warranty ( from date of closing ). Just after closing you will meet with the builder in your home and he will do a walk-around with you and go over some of the basics.

We closed in January and although I found a few items on my punch list to be corrected, I'm going to wait until December to have them corrected.

One of the best lessons I learned from a post on TOTV is to hire a home inspector prior to the expiration to go through your house to identify items that should be fixed while still under warranty. In my case, I'm going to use an inspector my neighbor used and schedule him for December. My neighbor thought he had identified all the items that needed to be fixed, but the inspector found a number more. IMHO, this is money well spent.

Dan
Natick, MA
Village of Buttonwood 1/12/11
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.