Jump start dead golf cart battery?

Closed Thread
Old 11-18-2023, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
The diagram is showing you neutral.
But how do you know? How did YOU find out? I would never know this if it weren't for this forum!
Old 11-18-2023, 09:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,088 Times in 2,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLonzo View Post
This one ok (photo)?

One more dumb question: how do I tell if it's a 12 volt battery? Are most golf cart batteries 12 volt? There's no indication what the voltage is on the part of the battery I can see without removing it. Thanks.
If it’s a gas golf cart it’s going to be a 12 volt battery.
Old 11-18-2023, 10:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
and how is somebody supposed to know that? I looked through the entire user manual and couldn't find the word 'neutral'. https://golfcars.yamaha-owners-manua...9626-A0-05.pdf
They don’t want you to know cause they’re no neutral notch. Can easily jump into F or R if not careful due to vibration of engine running. I wouldn’t do it to charge the battery.
Old 11-18-2023, 10:31 AM
Default Yep

Quote:
My gas golf cart won't start. Battery is out of juice. My fault, I left the key in the 'on' position over night. Can I jump start it from my car?
It's Yamaha Drive 2 Quietech EFI.
Works fine done it at least twice. Hook it up get in cart and do you usual...be ready to go to neutral when it starts and keep foot on gas. Some one else will have to dis connect. The drive it for a while. Better if you have cigarette lighter jump use that much better and safer.
Old 11-18-2023, 10:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,380 Times in 2,520 Posts

Quote:
But how do you know? How did YOU find out? I would never know this if it weren't for this forum!
Because the car will not drive forward or backwards in that setting.
Old 11-18-2023, 10:53 AM
Default Lots of things to consider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
They didn’t have all those computer controls back then were small arc can burn out relays and resistors.
As this RP noted, it is very easy to "fry" the electronics in both the cart and the car. Before I used your car's battery to charge the cart's, I would remove both cables from the car's battery to be certain you do not damage the car's electronics. When you reinstall them, ALWAYS attach the positive (+) cable first. For the same reason, I would also remove both cables from the cart's battery. You may have to reset the clock and the radio stations in the car, but that is a small price to pay to avoid having a short circuit and many dollars in repairs.

It's a good idea to buy a cheap battery charger. They take up barely more space than a shoe box. You can buy one at Walmart or any auto parts store. Homes in the Mid-West or the North were rarely without one in the garage.

While you should have a charger, I'd be more concerned about the condition of your cart's battery and would consider a replacement. Both my wife and I have left the key in the on position on our Yamaha more times than I can count. Several times, this has been over a full weekend. Not once has this run down the battery. If the cart's headlights are off, there isn't much, if anything, on a Yamaha that can draw down the battery. If your headlights were off, I'd replace the battery out of fear that it's going to fail again, and at some place other than your home, leaving you stranded.
Old 11-18-2023, 11:09 AM
Veteran member

While you're at it, get a voltage meter. You can get a cheap one at a big box store or really cheap one at Harbor Freight. Check if your voltage after being fully charged is at least 12.4v, if it's not then it's time to replace your battery.
Old 11-18-2023, 11:21 AM

Why not just hook the battery to a battery charger?
Old 11-18-2023, 03:07 PM

My golf cart battery died on the next to last hole on Caroline. We jumped it by normal method other than I kept my foot on the break while we jumped the cart and pushed on the gas pedal the engine started, cables removed I sat let off the brake and drove off the course and back to my house(fortunately I was close to home), but you can't let the engine stop. So every time I stopped I had to keep the engine idle ing, but brake enough to stop. You have to have a lot of room in front of the cart as it drives off. the other thing you could do is get the rear wheels off the ground, jump the cart and let the wheels spin to charge the battery.
GGOD LUCK>
Old 11-18-2023, 04:42 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamley View Post
My golf cart battery died on the next to last hole on Caroline. We jumped it by normal method other than I kept my foot on the break while we jumped the cart and pushed on the gas pedal the engine started, cables removed I sat let off the brake and drove off the course and back to my house(fortunately I was close to home), but you can't let the engine stop. So every time I stopped I had to keep the engine idle ing, but brake enough to stop. You have to have a lot of room in front of the cart as it drives off. the other thing you could do is get the rear wheels off the ground, jump the cart and let the wheels spin to charge the battery.
GGOD LUCK>
That must have been a sight.
Did you do all that while the seat was tilted up to access the battery?
Old 11-27-2023, 09:44 AM

Food for thought. Last time I replaced my battery I bought a Sams marine (deep cycle) battery. Same size, same capacity and a better battery only $10 cheaper. And, built to handle discharges better. We are snowbirds. Go figure.
Closed Thread

Tags
start, jump, battery, cart, golf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.