just bought a new home who should i not trust to have work done?

Closed Thread
Old 05-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Avoid those that require ANY amount of money up front. The reputable ones will give you a quote, and expect to be paid on completion. Unfortunately there are more of the ones who want the money up front.

Have patience...and don't bite on the friendly persuasion.

btk
Hmmm.... that would exclude T&D Pool and Spa who seem to have a good reputation here but also required a deposit before starting work for us.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I think peeps should be careful about listing who not to use. I had an experience with a contractor who was giving me an estimate. He does a lot of advertising locally, so I called him. The appointment started off well, but when I asked for references, he started yelling at me. And then he threatened to sue me if I mentioned his name on TOTV. (After our appointment, I found out from others that he has a terrible reputation and supposedly he is dealing with some mental issues.) But he does a lot of advertising in The Villages.

So a list of people who've done a great job is probably the way to go.
Mr.K9 and I had a similar experience with a contractor. We gave a review on TOTV and he called twice and threatened bodily harm to Mr. K9 and was very abusive. We will never give a poor review again, only positive remarks.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
Mr.K9 and I had a similar experience with a contractor. We gave a review on TOTV and he called twice and threatened bodily harm to Mr. K9 and was very abusive. We will never give a poor review again, only positive remarks.
What country is this?
Old 05-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Veteran member

I disagree with people who do not think we should relay negative experiences with companies and individuals that we have used for various services in TV. This forum has been a very good source of information and I value the opinions of the members. I will continue to give kudos to companies and individuals that I have personal experience with and also not be afraid to mention the names of companies and individuals that I have had negative experiences with.

If someone threatened me for what I posted I would not hesitate to call and report them to the Sumter County Sheriff Department.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halle View Post
I disagree with people who do not think we should relay negative experiences with companies and individuals that we have used for various services in TV. This forum has been a very good source of information and I value the opinions of the members. I will continue to give kudos to companies and individuals that I have personal experience with and also not be afraid to mention the names of companies and individuals that I have had negative experiences with.

If someone threatened me for what I posted I would not hesitate to call and report them to the Sumter County Sheriff Department.
Good point.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:38 AM
Veteran member

I have had great success in calling the Warranty Department and asking for recommendations for a variety of jobs...they know who the good guys are
Old 05-03-2011, 12:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halle View Post
I disagree with people who do not think we should relay negative experiences with companies and individuals that we have used for various services in TV. If someone threatened me for what I posted I would not hesitate to call and report them to the Sumter County Sheriff Department.
Halle, I hear what you're saying. In principle I agree with you. However, in my humble opinion, it isn't worth posting a negative comment, and having someone with mental issues retaliate. Like K9, I've been threatened. The Sumter Sheriffs can't be around 24/7. There are times when someone threatens war, that it is best to just walk away whistling.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertoken View Post
Recently I just hired someone to do my floors, very popular company. They did a great job with the exception they stole my pain medication and left 2 in the bottle. I made a mistake of leaving my meds in the bathroom draw.They are on TV a lot and show a cartoon guy throwing a flloor down. Sadly one bad egg ruins it for the rest of them. I'm very pleased with the floor though, sadly I'm going to be hurting for a while.
What was the response from the owner of the company when you shared this with him/her??
Old 05-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
How did he know you were Mr.K9??
Old 05-03-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
And especially since bad actors disappear, then reappear under a different name.
Couldnt have said it better.....
Old 05-03-2011, 06:42 PM

Dans Fans is great, Hills is great for gutters and garage screen doors..good choices, Whites is great for enclosing lanai and birdcages etc......Advanced Construction on the other hand does very sub-standard work and will never own up to that fact or correct the problems
Old 05-04-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
What was the response from the owner of the company when you shared this with him/her??
They would notify me later and they have a special on rugs and floors. I had a couple more rooms to do, but I'll pass for now. I guess having someone believe this story may be in question, being an ex firefighter, Ive seen it all.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.