Just curious.......

Closed Thread
Old 03-05-2017, 08:12 PM
Default Just curious.......

Whilst taking my after dinner walk this evening, I saw 2 Sumter County Deputy Sheriff cars pull into my Village (which shall remain nameless) at a relatively high rate of speed. It got me to wondering if our law enforcement officers use swipe cards to get through the gates or if they have to buzz in. Does anyone know the answer?
Old 03-05-2017, 09:53 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Buzz in. Seems ridiculous to me, especially that EMT's can't get in quickly.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-06-2017, 03:01 AM
Veteran member
Unhappy Our Useless Gates

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Buzz in. Seems ridiculous to me, especially that EMT's can't get in quickly.
You are 100% correct.

The gates are ridiculous, costly, serve no real purpose and slow down the egress and ingress of all vehicles, but mostly emergency vehicles.

One of these days someone will die because of the "slowing down" of the gates. I'd be willing to bet that has already happened.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
...The gates are ridiculous, costly, serve no real purpose...
Wrong in so many ways.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:39 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
You are 100% correct.

The gates are ridiculous, costly, serve no real purpose and slow down the egress and ingress of all vehicles, but mostly emergency vehicles.

One of these days someone will die because of the "slowing down" of the gates. I'd be willing to bet that has already happened.
I am going to guess that you are relatively knew to The Villages. I do agree and wish that we were a true gated community but we are not. However I suggest you watch an observe and you will discover that the gates have their place here

Personal Best Regards:
Old 03-06-2017, 06:18 AM
Sage

The most important function of the gates is traffic flow control. Without the gates, it would be dangerous for golf carts to cross at the Village entrances. When you see the gates down, you can safely cross.

Quote:
You are 100% correct.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
You are 100% correct.

Yep.

There area plethora of locations were the gates don't have any relation to golf carts crossing the road...yet they still exist.

They do however, give some people a false sense that they live in an actual 'gated community'...so will probably never be removed.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:54 AM
Veteran member

Since there are cameras at the gates, and one must slow down to go through the gates, to me that's a good thing.

Like others have said, gates also slow traffic.

The OP had a good question....and now we know the answer.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,914 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:
You are 100% correct.

Doubt it. Anyone who "dies" from a 10 or 15 second delay is not going to make it anyway.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:49 AM

A better question might be - why don't the EMT and police have a card? I want them here as fast as possible if we are hurt or my house is on fire or we are being robbed.
Taught physics and chemistry to teenagers for 37 years!! Started out in Rhinebeck,NY and ended up in Havre de Grace, MD-moved to Buttonwood full time and then moved to Labelle, but still go north to do some goose/deer hunting !!!!
Old 03-06-2017, 09:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
The most important function of the gates is traffic flow control. Without the gates, it would be dangerous for golf carts to cross at the Village entrances. When you see the gates down, you can safely cross.
Not true. With all of the gates I see knocked down, a cart driver really needs to still be aware of possible oncoming traffic in case someone decides to forego swiping their card, or has a "medical episode" and drives on thru the gate.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:15 PM
Sage

So you want to nitpick, fine. No matter what the state of the gate, you can still be killed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Not true. With all of the gates I see knocked down, a cart driver really needs to still be aware of possible oncoming traffic in case someone decides to forego swiping their card, or has a "medical episode" and drives on thru the gate.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:36 PM

My biggest concern is crossing Bonita at Morse because there are no gates to slow down the cars. That is the only crossing with a round-a- bout I know of on Morse or Buena Vista where there is no gate. I wonder why?
Old 03-06-2017, 11:46 PM
Veteran member
Cool No Gates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I am going to guess that you are relatively knew to The Villages. I do agree and wish that we were a true gated community but we are not. However I suggest you watch an observe and you will discover that the gates have their place here

Personal Best Regards:
No, I am not relatively "Knew" (sic). I have been here four years and see the confusion and problems our gates cause.

99% of residents never had a gate when they drove out of their previous community to a main street. Somehow -- they knew what to do. They either stopped or merged into traffic. And guess what? For the most part -- no accidents!

Personal Best Regards
Old 03-06-2017, 11:55 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Yep.

There area plethora of locations were the gates don't have any relation to golf carts crossing the road...yet they still exist.

They do however, give some people a false sense that they live in an actual 'gated community'...so will probably never be removed.
You are correct. The gates will never be removed. Want to know why? The Morses et al use the damn gates as a sales tool to make would-be buyers think TV is a grand, safe place to be.

What a joke. The gates are a waste of our hard earned $$$ and definitely do not make our community any safer.

Tags
law, officers, enforcement, wondering, speed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.