Just curious

Closed Thread
Old 12-04-2022, 08:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

I don't understand why people don't thank all of my posts all of the time.
Old 12-04-2022, 09:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't understand why people don't thank all of my posts all of the time.
I just did.
Old 12-04-2022, 09:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I just did.
Thanks!
Old 12-04-2022, 10:07 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
When I first joined the forum there was no “like” button and I preferred it that way. The “like” probably came about as a popular item on other forums, Facebook etc. I refused to use it for a whole year. Then I started to see that hitting “like” can mean agreeing with a post or thanking other posters for considering and often helping you in your situation. So I started to use it myself. The reason you may see thousands of “thank you” for one poster, is because if one writes a post many people agree with, that post can get 20 “likes”. Ten such post, 200 likes/thank you.

I’ve kept tabs on my count occasionally, and it has always been accurate. You get a feeling for most posters from what they write, how consistent they are, etc to recognize them. You also get a feeling for trolls after you’ve been on the forum enough.

Some people never say “like” because they are not used to it, like I was initially. They may actually not like the “like” function. So we are different. It’s all good.
Blame me. I posted the absence of the like button, it appeared a few weeks later.
Old 12-05-2022, 05:01 AM

Does a click on the thumbs up/ like button result in giving a poster a thanked statistic? I assume yes as I don’t see a specific “thank” button but thought I’d check to see if I’m missing something.
Old 12-05-2022, 06:10 AM

We’ll bless Your Heart
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
John Stuart Mill
Old 12-05-2022, 06:23 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,139 Times in 882 Posts

I do use the thumbs up 'like' icon and/or reply my thanks/like on the thread. I personally am curious whether people agree or disagree with my opinions, so I do look to see if I got 'likes' or replied to with various opinions.
I wish I could see which people 'liked' my opinions though. I can't seem to find that info in my statistic page.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
When I first joined the forum there was no “like” button and I preferred it that way. The “like” probably came about as a popular item on other forums, Facebook etc. I refused to use it for a whole year. Then I started to see that hitting “like” can mean agreeing with a post or thanking other posters for considering and often helping you in your situation. So I started to use it myself. The reason you may see thousands of “thank you” for one poster, is because if one writes a post many people agree with, that post can get 20 “likes”. Ten such post, 200 likes/thank you.

I’ve kept tabs on my count occasionally, and it has always been accurate. You get a feeling for most posters from what they write, how consistent they are, etc to recognize them. You also get a feeling for trolls after you’ve been on the forum enough.

Some people never say “like” because they are not used to it, like I was initially. They may actually not like the “like” function. So we are different. It’s all good.
I did not know the thumbs up button was the thanks button. I am just finding this out in this post. Thank you for letting me know. I had no idea that it existed before.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:43 AM
Veteran member
Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I think the statistics are accurate. I wonder about the posters who often criticize threads, but they have never actually started a thread themselves.
I've never started a thread; how do you go about that?
Also, I'm curious, I will open the site sometimes as soon as it comes in and there are dozens of responses already listed.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I do use the thumbs up 'like' icon and/or reply my thanks/like on the thread. I personally am curious whether people agree or disagree with my opinions, so I do look to see if I got 'likes' or replied to with various opinions.
I wish I could see which people 'liked' my opinions though. I can't seem to find that info in my statistic page.
In your profile, you will find a category titled “Total Thanks” in the statistics. I have just found this feature myself.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird45 View Post
I've never started a thread; how do you go about that?
Also, I'm curious, I will open the site sometimes as soon as it comes in and there are dozens of responses already listed.
Click on a forum title, like "computer questions" or "landscape talk". Then, scroll down and click on "post new thread".
Old 12-05-2022, 07:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
When you see a plus sign (+) under your post, click on it and it will tell you the ID of the "thanks" or thumbs up that you have on that comment.
Old 12-05-2022, 08:08 AM

I think, I thought, I sorta-kinda knew what the Thumbs-Up button was there for, now I do not know. As with most things on the internet today. The new language of today is not too easy to understand. Now I understand how my parents felt as they did not understand setting the VCR etc, back in the day. For instance what does "Post Quick Reply" actually mean? What kind of statement is that? Sometimes, I have to wonder.... is it just me? I truly don't think so. Thank You for your time/ Have a wonderful day!
Old 12-05-2022, 08:09 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Over the years of using TOTV, I've never paid much attention to "statistics", mine or anyone else's. But recently, due to a comment someone made on a very different subject, but called attention to the "statistics" of the person who made the comment, I noticed them for the first time really. I was surprised to find those who have made literally thousands of posts and been "thanked" thousands of times, but have never (0) thanked anyone ever for a their comment, helpful tip, or post. Could that really be accurate ? Just seemed a bit hard to believe that people on here that many times have never found anything helpful or worth a "thanks" ?? Have no idea, just struck me as very curious was all ! I thought....LOL... are these actually "bots", LOL, so they don't "thank" others, like human beings...LOL ! ? In all seriousness, just seemed strange and never noticed in all the years since they first started this over at Crisper's on Fridays ! BTW, I miss Crisper's...but apparently I'm in the minority for sure...LOL !
Yes, you are correct. Some people simply never hit the like button. I “like” posts that I find thoughtful, interesting, or helpful. That doesn’t usually include one sentence responses. I don’t “like” posts just because I agree. I like posts by, say, the guys who know how to fix things and explain how to do it. I like posts by people who recommend excellent businesses or people.

If I write something here, usually I think about it and try to write something worth reading, helpful, substantial. (Note: if you respond EARLY, the day before something reaches the e-mail version, it will be seen by more people and perhaps get liked more. But I never get around to doing that.) I’ve noticed that I may spend a half hour writing a useful response with links and photos, yet no one likes it. But if I write something in line with one of our many local prejudices or peeves, I might get several likes. Ten likes on one post? Never on mine, so far as I can remember.
Old 12-05-2022, 08:12 AM
Veteran member
Default OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Over the years of using TOTV, I've never paid much attention to "statistics", mine or anyone else's. But recently, due to a comment someone made on a very different subject, but called attention to the "statistics" of the person who made the comment, I noticed them for the first time really. I was surprised to find those who have made literally thousands of posts and been "thanked" thousands of times, but have never (0) thanked anyone ever for a their comment, helpful tip, or post. Could that really be accurate ? Just seemed a bit hard to believe that people on here that many times have never found anything helpful or worth a "thanks" ?? Have no idea, just struck me as very curious was all ! I thought....LOL... are these actually "bots", LOL, so they don't "thank" others, like human beings...LOL ! ? In all seriousness, just seemed strange and never noticed in all the years since they first started this over at Crisper's on Fridays ! BTW, I miss Crisper's...but apparently I'm in the minority for sure...LOL !
Thanks I never noticed

Tags
lol, made, comment, thousands, thanked

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.