Is it just me, or...

Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2019, 08:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
If I hear them playing the Village People one more time I might smash my radio.
"It's fun to stay at the Y.M.C.A."
Old 03-30-2019, 12:06 AM
Veteran member

After seeing the HBO documentary about Wade Robson and Jimmy Safechuck, I could go the remainder of my life without hearing another MJ song. There are so many really good musical artists. My first rock n roll record was Rock Around the Clock. I never got into Elvis or Pat Boone but I saw Chuck Berry at a Rock n Roll show. The shows then weren't just one artist but rather 10 or 12. Chuck Berry sang Maybelline and the crowd went nuts. He sang one other and he was done, but I thought the balcony at the Syria Mosque in Pittsburgh , Pa was going to come down. My mother worked for KQV in PGH and the salesmen there would give her tickets for the rock n roll shows. We had front row seats. We saw all the musicians who were popular in the late 50s early 60s. I love rhythm and blues and Doo Wop but I enjoy a disco song or two and country western but not a steady diet.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Oh dear, I was sooo looking forwards to a little progressive rock... too.
Our time is coming.

Just as people in the "southern" Villages have to wait for full-grown trees in their yards, and stores they can take a golf cart to, we have to wait for our generation's musical turn on the turntable.

We are the Riders on the Storm. We are not Helpless, helpless, helpless. But we do have to Hold On, and get through the Roundabout before we too can become Comfortably Numb.

Old 03-30-2019, 08:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

10 Undeniable Facts About the Michael Jackson Sexual-Abuse Allegations | Vanity Fair

I saw some of that Michael Jackson documentary and it did change my idea of the man but his work is a different matter.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:29 AM
Default Oldies no more

Quote:
Not just Michael Jackson, but in general a sharp change in the type of music played in general on WVLG. We used to love to listen to WVLG because they played old music that brought back memories of when we were young and the only place we could hear that type of music was on WVLG. Lately they have been playing a lot of newer music, especially disco. WVLG now plays music we can hear on many other radio stations, without the endless loop of ad's for open houses with the Villages Property management, erectile disfunction products, and the like. If I hear them playing the Village People one more time I might smash my radio. I put disco right up there with rap as one of the types of music (calling it music is a major stretch) that I simply can not tolerate. WVLG is rapidly loosing it's spot on our radios speed dial. And to make matters worse, they are now playing the disco in FM, which the music simply doesn't deserve. I guess they are no longer catering to the generation of people who already own homes in the Villages and are reaching out to a younger generation of future home buyers. Not happy about it.
I agree that the oldies are being underplayed. I would like them back.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
For the most part they have been playing trash lately
For the last few years..
Old 03-30-2019, 11:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Haven’t listened to this Villages radio station yet, I noticed their tower is close to where I wanted to buy at first, but then I checked the EMF waves that were emitted. What genres do they play? Country, rock, classical, metal, pop, house etc? I guess it isn’t rap from your posts.

Just $8.89 and you'll be protected from all those EMF waves.
https://www.amazon.com/Archie-McPhee...a-459186360177
Old 03-30-2019, 11:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,017 Times in 1,743 Posts

Last edited by Velvet; 04-13-2019 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Everyone has to realize that as the "older population" of T.V. "disappears" the "new older generation" becomes the target market for both the radio station and the square's nightly entertainment. I was talking to someone a while ago at Starbucks who worked for T.V. Entertainment and they said they aim for -50 years from current. So that's around 1970. Those who are into 50's music will likely find it sliding up a decade or two around here. If one is in their 80's you better start covering your ears or dusting off your old 78's.

Edit: I'd love to see a current age distribution graph of the current population of The Villages. I'd guess the "top of the curve" would be in Mid 60's? Once you see that you'll be aware of what music is on the way to the squares. All the new growth over the last few years certainly are not those in their late 70's and up.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 03-30-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Older baby boomers probably heard the 50's rock'n first from their older siblings. Younger boomers probably heard the 60's the same way. The 70's is where the music appealed to the whole generation as teenagers or grown ups. And the 70's had quite of variety through the decade.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2019, 12:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

I'm kinda surprised at the negative comments regarding disco, as one would think that the number one song of us older folks around here would be...

Old 03-30-2019, 12:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,017 Times in 1,743 Posts

Last edited by Velvet; 04-13-2019 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:13 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Everyone has to realize that as the "older population" of T.V. "disappears" the "new older generation" becomes the target market for both the radio station and the square's nightly entertainment. I was talking to someone a while ago at Starbucks who worked for T.V. Entertainment and they said they aim for -50 years from current. So that's around 1970. Those who are into 50's music will likely find it sliding up a decade or two around here. If one is in their 80's you better start covering your ears or dusting off your old 78's.

Edit: I'd love to see a current age distribution graph of the current population of The Villages. I'd guess the "top of the curve" would be in Mid 60's? Once you see that you'll be aware of what music is on the way to the squares. All the new growth over the last few years certainly are not those in their late 70's and up.
In the paper the other day it noted the average age of villagers 68.7 years old.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:28 AM

Younger people are moving in (55+) and they are playing the music of their generation as they did when we moved here 15 years ago.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Not just Michael Jackson, but in general a sharp change in the type of music played in general on WVLG. We used to love to listen to WVLG because they played old music that brought back memories of when we were young and the only place we could hear that type of music was on WVLG. Lately they have been playing a lot of newer music, especially disco. WVLG now plays music we can hear on many other radio stations, without the endless loop of ad's for open houses with the Villages Property management, erectile disfunction products, and the like. If I hear them playing the Village People one more time I might smash my radio. I put disco right up there with rap as one of the types of music (calling it music is a major stretch) that I simply can not tolerate. WVLG is rapidly loosing it's spot on our radios speed dial. And to make matters worse, they are now playing the disco in FM, which the music simply doesn't deserve. I guess they are no longer catering to the generation of people who already own homes in the Villages and are reaching out to a younger generation of future home buyers. Not happy about it.
I think you nailed it.

Tags
songs, heard, documentary, controversy, hbo

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.