Just in time for snowbirds arrival - a homeless encampment by Chitty Chatty Bridge

Closed Thread
Old 10-27-2022, 08:28 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,798 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I didn't think so. Looked up the definition........

en·camp·ment
/inˈkampmənt,enˈkampmənt/
Learn to pronounce
noun
noun: encampment; plural noun: encampments

a place with temporary accommodations consisting of huts or tents, typically for troops or nomads.
"a Bedouin encampment"

The definition implies more than one person.

Strange argument, here: An encampment is an abode such as a tent or unmovable structure, of one or more persons on public property or an accumulation of unmovable personal belongings that are present even when the individual is not.
Old 10-28-2022, 04:30 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevatorman View Post
Maybe someone could contact their church and ask for help. A shelter may be available for homeless in the area.
Just a side bar for those who may be newer residents. Many of us here have been involved with those who live in the Ocala national forest, many villages churches do many wonderful projects there, and people are probably appreciative. But, all of the charity organizations here have found the homeless to be VERY opposed to moving into traditional housing, even when some churches have offered them.

Additionally, the villages is probably pretty much like our entire country...homelessness, regardless of your empathy for, or disdain for that state of being, is just totally out of control in our country. Once considered primarily an inner city "problem".. no more !
Old 10-28-2022, 08:00 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

[QUOTE=Pairadocs;2152118]Just a side bar for those who may be newer residents. Many of us here have been involved with those who live in the Ocala national forest, many villages churches do many wonderful projects there, and people are probably appreciative. But, all of the charity organizations here have found the homeless to be VERY opposed to moving into traditional housing, even when some churches have offered them.

Additionally, the villages is probably pretty much like our entire country...homelessness, regardless of your empathy for, or disdain for that state of being, is just totally out of control in our country. Once considered primarily an inner city "problem".. no more...it's everywhere and the numbers are not going down.
Old 10-29-2022, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
with all the "help shortages" and help wanted signs that seem to be in abundance......

maybe they could get a job!
Coming from San Diego (downtown area) and a good friend who is a drug and rehab counselor you have to understand the majority of homeless people do not want our lifestyle. They are perfectly content existing without any responsibility. Many are mentally ill and although medication is available they do not like the numbing effect.

Sure there is a percentage who fell onto difficult times and want to recover but that is the minority. My friends doctoral thesis was a proposal to the County (San Diego) for a pilot program to develop a campus (far West County) with dorms, cafeteria, health support (psychology, dental, medical), vocational training, childcare, etc. All these services are free to the applicant and here’s where the City balked. The application cannot do any drugs (required testing), must attend daily (health support) appointments and vocational training. Unless on-site medical approved absence.

So tell me who’s really trying to help these people.
Old 10-29-2022, 09:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Yeah, but they gave it back in place of the "e" in "they". The also gave a bonus "l" to you in "word" (Glass houses, and all that)
Lol, good catch. At least my glass house is dual paned and beveled. I went with Pella over Home Depot windows
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current
Old 10-29-2022, 09:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I didn't think so. Looked up the definition........

en·camp·ment
/inˈkampmənt,enˈkampmənt/
Learn to pronounce
noun
noun: encampment; plural noun: encampments

a place with temporary accommodations consisting of huts or tents, typically for troops or nomads.
"a Bedouin encampment"

The definition implies more than one person.
Webster is outdated, in many ways. They now okay the pronunciation of the silent "T" in "often," and they accept "Chomping at the bit" instead of the traditional and correct "Champing at the bit" phrase. Likewise, the traditional term of encampment has been segued into more modern use referencing homeless. A single homeless person's large array of crap can be considered an encampment.

When an encampment is a single person and their stuff | Street Sense Media
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current
Old 10-29-2022, 11:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
Lol, good catch. At least my glass house is dual paned and beveled. I went with Pella over Home Depot windows
Pella or Andersen is the way to go!
Old 10-30-2022, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
If your character and record were beyond reproach, you wouldn't need expensive protection. Mother Teresa used to use the cheapest Dollar store windows.
Closed Thread

Tags
bridge, chatty, chitty, homeless, order

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.