Financing and Closing

Closed Thread
Old 04-15-2015, 08:39 PM
Default Financing and Closing

We are looking at new construction in TV. Can anyone tell me if you must use TV for financing and/or closing? I am pre-qualified for a VA loan with Quicken. If you don't have to use TV for closing, can anyone recommend a closing attorney. TV closing costs seem kind of high.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

We did not finance through TV and while they tried to scare us that our choice would not be able to meet their 30 day requirement we went to Wells Fargo anyway. We did use TV attorney's because they did make it easier and the difference in closing costs in the whole scheme of things was insignificant.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-16-2015, 07:50 AM

I have been told that TV does not allow VA loans for new construction. Can anyone confirm that?
Old 04-16-2015, 08:02 AM
Veteran member

They do not accept VA financing. Also note that they do not accept any contingencies at all, no financing or any other contingencies.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:03 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

VA loans are pretty much a nightmare for all sellers of new construction. Not just in The Villages.

Between costs, appraisals, and lag times it isn't worth the effort. It ends up costing sellers considerable time and money.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoltz View Post
We are looking at new construction in TV. Can anyone tell me if you must use TV for financing and/or closing? I am pre-qualified for a VA loan with Quicken. If you don't have to use TV for closing, can anyone recommend a closing attorney. TV closing costs seem kind of high.
I was a community banker in Md and Va for 40 years. We have bought two homes in TV and both times we used Citizens and the Developers attys.

In my 40 years of experience in financing I have never seen a smother or more transparent process. I was not concerned about minor differences about charges and never felt threatened in making the choice. The banks that I worked for and ultimately ran could not have handeled the transactions any better. " Those who make a decisions based on price alone, deserve what they get'.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

The Developer has a right to not use VA or FHA on selling new construction.

If you use another lender and fail to be ready for closing when THEY set closing, you will be fined $250. That is what they require. You don't have to buy here and you don't have to use Citizens. It is your choice.

VA Loans for new home purchase

New Homes can't close FHA
Old 04-16-2015, 09:58 AM
Default Need Extra Days for Closing?

Just an FYI, if you concerned you can't close in 30 days you can "buy" extra days at the rate of $ 50.00 a day. Very reasonable if you think of daily interest costs to them. Takes the pressure off if you use your own financing or have any other reasons you may need more time and don't want to be under the gun to close in 30 days. Only caveat is you have to buy these days in advance at time of Contract. There are also limits on how many days you can buy, I believe it's capped at 60 extra days beyond the initial 30.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake82 View Post
Just an FYI, if you concerned you can't close in 30 days you can "buy" extra days at the rate of $ 50.00 a day. Very reasonable if you think of daily interest costs to them. Takes the pressure off if you use your own financing or have any other reasons you may need more time and don't want to be under the gun to close in 30 days. Only caveat is you have to buy these days in advance at time of Contract. There are also limits on how many days you can buy, I believe it's capped at 60 extra days beyond the initial 30.
Also that is why Citizens is best choice if you aren't partial to another source. Since they have, as I understand it, a very close relationship with the Developer they always make it within 30 days and no hassle.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-16-2015, 10:51 AM
Location: The Villages (previous: Kittery & Eliot Maine, Portsmouth & Barrington NH, Uncasville CT)

I agree with Challenger. I also worked for a bank when we moved down here....in the lending department. Citizens made the whole process so easy and the costs were reasonable. I did not have faith in the bank I worked for to deliver in 30 days.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:02 PM
Veteran member

One more vote for Citizens. We closed from Georgia by FedEx and wired the funds to an account we opened at Citizens the day we signed the contract. On the appointed morning we got a phone call from The Villages Closing Department saying "Congratulations, your home is closed". Could not have been smoother.

This was in the summer of 2013 and The Villages needed to extend the 30 day closing time by a couple of weeks because they could not keep up with sales.

Having just sold a house to complete my mother's estate in New Jersey that had THREE contracts fall through before closing before the forth one closed I know about closing hassles big time.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:13 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingoFlo View Post
I agree with Challenger. I also worked for a bank when we moved down here....in the lending department. Citizens made the whole process so easy and the costs were reasonable. I did not have faith in the bank I worked for to deliver in 30 days.
I have to disagree - my closing costs were over $3000 cheaper using Quicken loans than they would have been with Citizens... Sorry -my villages home was number 9 for me, and a few refis too... the Closing costs at Citizens were the highest I have seen EVER BY FAR... I would steer clear.

Also, Quicken loans was a bit slow (it was over the holidays) but they got me closed on time. The people at the closing office said a few days late is not a big deal and there would not have been any extra fees as long as you were not holding things up intentionally....

Ed
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 04-17-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
The people at the closing office said a few days late is not a big deal and there would not have been any extra fees as long as you were not holding things up intentionally....
I'm surprised by this. The document we signed when we purchased was very explicit about additional charges if we missed the closing date. They even told us about them and made sure we understood the consequences. Granted, it was only $50.00 a day, but they seemed pretty strict about it. We went through Citizens and closed on time, so it was not an issue. I'm just surprised to hear they aren't as strict as they led us to believe they would be.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
I have to disagree - my closing costs were over $3000 cheaper using Quicken loans than they would have been with Citizens... Sorry -my villages home was number 9 for me, and a few refis too... the Closing costs at Citizens were the highest I have seen EVER BY FAR... I would steer clear.

Also, Quicken loans was a bit slow (it was over the holidays) but they got me closed on time. The people at the closing office said a few days late is not a big deal and there would not have been any extra fees as long as you were not holding things up intentionally....

Ed
$3000 more is quite a difference. That's amazing . Can you itemize the main differences. I'm very shocked and have never heard uch a large dicrepency
Old 04-17-2015, 07:52 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,781 Times in 3,647 Posts

Citizens is/was easy, but there is a price for that.

Other financial institutions can provide cheaper rates (fully loaded) than Citizens.

TV Closing process is very quick, simple and easy...........tough to beat.......very friendly too.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.