Keep dogs off your lawn remedy

Closed Thread
Old 05-01-2014, 08:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
Electric cow fence! There's an idea. It would work for solicitors as well.
Like the one that showed up at our door this afternoon selling lawn services... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzttttttttttt!
Old 05-01-2014, 11:32 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageshooter View Post
the. dogs. must wear a collar that will shock them! my wife has one for me when my dementia kicks in , keeps me in the yard, only problem is she doesnt like me peeing on her shrubs!
best i have found to keep dogs and owners out my yard is motion detection sprinkler head, it drenches the owner as well as fido! u can get the at amazon
Winner of best answer award!
Old 05-02-2014, 01:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth52 View Post
I stopped using retractable leashes years ago for this very reason. You cannot possibly have control of your dog on one of those things. Granted, I have big dogs, but even with a little dog, it can be a problem. Plus, it teaches your dog to pull on the leash when walking!
You are 100% correct!

There is no control with those retractable leashes.

This afternoon we had a gator in our area, taking an easy walk down the street. I didn't stay out long enough to see where he went.

Later on, when it was starting to get dark, I went to get our mail. I saw a couple walking down the street with their beagle on a retractable leash. They were walking and talking and the dog was about 15 or so feet behind them. I stopped to tell them about the gator so that they would be more aware as they were walking their dog. It would have been very easy for a gator to do one chomp in that kind of situation. They would have been very surprised had the gator been there, to see what they actually ended up walking!

Forewarned is forearmed.

Everyone should get rid of those retractable leashes and get a safe 6 ft. lead.
You will then have control of your dog
Old 05-02-2014, 09:41 AM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
You are 100% correct!

There is no control with those retractable leashes.

This afternoon we had a gator in our area, taking an easy walk down the street. I didn't stay out long enough to see where he went.

Later on, when it was starting to get dark, I went to get our mail. I saw a couple walking down the street with their beagle on a retractable leash. They were walking and talking and the dog was about 15 or so feet behind them. I stopped to tell them about the gator so that they would be more aware as they were walking their dog. It would have been very easy for a gator to do one chomp in that kind of situation. They would have been very surprised had the gator been there, to see what they actually ended up walking!

Forewarned is forearmed.

Everyone should get rid of those retractable leashes and get a safe 6 ft. lead.
You will then have control of your dog

Sorry can't agree. We use nothing but retractable leashes and have no problem whatsoever controlling our 2 dogs as a matter of fact I think it gives us more control. If you have arthritis or your reflexes aren't what they used to be I can see some would have a problem but like with anything it's not always for everyone.

Last edited by rdhdleo; 05-02-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:58 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Invisible fence heck install a low voltage electrical fence zap ouch zap ouch
Old 05-02-2014, 10:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhdleo View Post
Sorry can't agree. We use nothing but retractable leashes and have no problem whatsoever controlling our 2 dogs as a matter of fact I think it gives us more control. If you have arthritis or your relaxes aren't what they used to be I can see some would have a problem but like with anything it's not always for everyone.
I agree. No problem if you know how to use it and helps if your dog is trained. Our dog knows to "heel" and knows it's only ok to run ahead when given the OK command.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Invisible fence heck install a low voltage electrical fence zap ouch zap ouch

And they give a tone warning before the "zap ouch"
Old 05-03-2014, 10:27 AM

It amazes me when I see dogs on other peoples lawn - in fact, what really amazes me are those who live in a cyv that have rocks/stones in their yards - then they walk their dogs on the lawns with grass - not bad dogs - bad pet owners!
Old 05-03-2014, 11:02 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEWRDW View Post
It amazes me when I see dogs on other peoples lawn - in fact, what really amazes me are those who live in a cyv that have rocks/stones in their yards - then they walk their dogs on the lawns with grass - not bad dogs - bad pet owners!
Doesn't surprise me. Weathers crummy...raining. Folks are bored, sitting inside. Oh .....I have an idea, let's start bashing ALL the pet owners in TV. We know that they are all terrible owners. Let's just spend the rest of the day seeing how many people we can get to bash the dog owners. This has never been discussed before...so sounds like a good subject on a rainy Saturday....what fun!!!!
Old 05-03-2014, 11:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member

The ammonia smell does keep animals away but be cautious about putting it on your lawn. Ammonia is a nitrate and will burn your grass. The ammonia in a Pet's urine is what burns your grass.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:21 PM

Liquid Fence works fairly well. Dogs and deer don't like the smell. It comes in a pump bottle and is sold at most hardware stores. The active ingredient is capsaicin. Be sure to be upwind when spraying or you may find out how well it works.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:35 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to jalopy54

As long as the owner pickup up the poop I am fine with them.

Mickey
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.