Keep Your Gas Tanks Full Keep Your Gas Tanks Full - Talk of The Villages Florida

Keep Your Gas Tanks Full

Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM
Flyers999's Avatar
Flyers999 Flyers999 is online now
Gold Member
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 659
Thanks: 803
Thanked 326 Times in 194 Posts
Default Keep Your Gas Tanks Full

My fellow Floridians. Please keep your gas tank at least ¾ filled until the hurricane season is over. Two years ago today, on October 5, 2024 Hurricane Milton hit the west coast of Florida and traveled completely through south Florida and exited on the Atlantic. An estimated six million Floridians were ordered to evacuate. The only problem was, to evacuate you need gasoline and when the southern evacuees got to this section of Florida, there was no gas to be bought! What the locals did was fill up on gasoline the night before! That’s too late.
Thanks for listening.

Last edited by Flyers999; Today at 02:24 PM.
  #2  
Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM
CarlR33 CarlR33 is online now
Gold Member
Join Date: Dec 2023
Location: Newell the place to be in the South
Posts: 1,866
Thanks: 803
Thanked 1,325 Times in 700 Posts
Default

I have electric (Tesla) now what?
__________________
I will say the things that others are probably thinking but afraid to say.
  #3  
Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM
tophcfa's Avatar
tophcfa tophcfa is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I happen to be.
Posts: 8,967
Thanks: 4,368
Thanked 12,706 Times in 4,174 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlR33 View Post
I have electric (Tesla) now what?
Hope you don’t have to evacuate and have to try to find a place to recharge it along with all the other EV’s in need of a recharge. I can leave with a full tank and bring along a few 5 gallon gas cans in the bed of our truck and drive around 1,000 miles before having to find a pump.
  #4  
Old Yesterday, 05:40 PM
Bill14564 Bill14564 is online now
Platinum member
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Village of Hillsborough
Posts: 9,769
Thanks: 3,329
Thanked 9,590 Times in 3,939 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers999 View Post
My fellow Floridians. Please keep you gas tank at least ¾ filled until the hurricane season is over. Two years ago today, on October 5, 2024 Hurricane Milton hit the west coast of Florida and traveled completely through south Florida and exited on the Atlantic. An estimated six million Floridians were ordered to evacuate. The only problem was, to evacuate you need gasoline and when the southern evacuees got to this section of Florida, there was no gas to be bought! What the locals did was fill up on gasoline the night before! That’s too late.
Thanks for listening.
Wasn't that the storm where the locals were topping off their tanks daily for about a week before the storm? Chances are, there will never be enough fuel in the area when 50,000+ residents all head to the station all in the same week to put two gallons in the car, two more in the cart, and five in the gas can.

Has this area ever been asked to evacuate? In my short time here there have been three times I have hosted my sister-in-law's family when they were told to evacuate. (and yeah, they had trouble finding enough gas to get here)
__________________
Why do people insist on making claims without looking them up first, do they really think no one will check? Proof by emphatic assertion rarely works.
Confirmation bias is real; I can find any number of articles that say so.


Victor, NY - Randallstown, MD - Yakima, WA - Stevensville, MD - Village of Hillsborough
  #5  
Old Yesterday, 05:52 PM
biker1 biker1 is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 4,222
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1,507 Times in 890 Posts
Default

If the area was to be impacted by a hurricane, you would likely have at least 48 hours notice. The NHC storm track forecast are usually quite accurate at that time frame. In that case, you can charge to 100% and probably have 300 miles of range. If you decide to leave, that will get you well into GA and probably outside the influence of the hurricane. If you decide to stay, you will have 300 miles of range for any local travel even with a power outage. Regardless, I have not seen any power outages from the several hurricanes/tropical storms that have had an impact on our area in the last 12 years so charging would likely not be an issue. Even with Irma, whose center of circulation was about 50 miles or so to the west of us, we did not lose power. I have a Tesla and I am not concerned. Gas shortages may likely be more of an issue. I can "fill up" to 100% in my garage whenever I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlR33 View Post
I have electric (Tesla) now what?
  #6  
Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM
BrianL99 BrianL99 is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 5,508
Thanks: 325
Thanked 4,653 Times in 1,970 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Hope you don’t have to evacuate and have to try to find a place to recharge it along with all the other EV’s in need of a recharge. I can leave with a full tank and bring along a few 5 gallon gas cans in the bed of our truck and drive around 1,000 miles before having to find a pump.
Can you imagine if those 3500 cars & trucks got stuck on Rt. 128 during the Blizzard of '78, were all electric!
  #7  
Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM
Bill14564 Bill14564 is online now
Platinum member
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Village of Hillsborough
Posts: 9,769
Thanks: 3,329
Thanked 9,590 Times in 3,939 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Can you imagine if those 3500 cars & trucks got stuck on Rt. 128 during the Blizzard of '78, were all electric!
No need to imagine, you should be able to find articles about the January 2022 stranding on I95 in Virginia.

Sure, 3500 EVs will take longer to charge than it will take to fill 3500 gas tanks but if you are number 130 in line it’s going to be a problem either way.
__________________
Why do people insist on making claims without looking them up first, do they really think no one will check? Proof by emphatic assertion rarely works.
Confirmation bias is real; I can find any number of articles that say so.


Victor, NY - Randallstown, MD - Yakima, WA - Stevensville, MD - Village of Hillsborough
  #8  
Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM
tophcfa's Avatar
tophcfa tophcfa is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I happen to be.
Posts: 8,967
Thanks: 4,368
Thanked 12,706 Times in 4,174 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Can you imagine if those 3500 cars & trucks got stuck on Rt. 128 during the Blizzard of '78, were all electric!
A few winters ago there was a major snow/ice storm between Fredericksburg and Richmond Virginia during snowbird migration season that shut down I95 overnight on a very chilly/windy night because of jackknifed tractor trailers. Once the road finally reopened the next day traffic still couldn’t move because the road was clogged up with EV’s with dead batteries from running their heaters to start warm. It took hours to tow away all the dead EV’s so traffic could flow again.

We dodged a bullet, we were heading south during the storm and were planning on cutting across from Winchester VA to Fredericksburg, but after seeing the forecast we decided to stay on 81 and take 77 through Charlotte instead, avoiding the disaster on I95.
  #9  
Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM
LeRoySmith LeRoySmith is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: The Enclave
Posts: 1,071
Thanks: 204
Thanked 846 Times in 401 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Hope you don’t have to evacuate and have to try to find a place to recharge it along with all the other EV’s in need of a recharge. I can leave with a full tank and bring along a few 5 gallon gas cans in the bed of our truck and drive around 1,000 miles before having to find a pump.
I went 732 miles today between gas stops on a cross country trip, the light was on when I stopped but I still had a little left in the tank. F150 with the large capacity fuel tank. I think that will get us clear of the hurricane.
__________________
I've got a pool. I've got a pond. Pond's good for you...
  #10  
Old Yesterday, 07:09 PM
Bill14564 Bill14564 is online now
Platinum member
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Village of Hillsborough
Posts: 9,769
Thanks: 3,329
Thanked 9,590 Times in 3,939 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
A few winters ago there was a major snow/ice storm between Fredericksburg and Richmond Virginia during snowbird migration season that shut down I95 overnight on a very chilly/windy night because of jackknifed tractor trailers. Once the road finally reopened the next day traffic still couldn’t move because the road was clogged up with EV’s with dead batteries from running their heaters to start warm. It took hours to tow away all the dead EV’s so traffic could flow again.

We dodged a bullet, we were heading south during the storm and were planning on cutting across from Winchester VA to Fredericksburg, but after seeing the forecast we decided to stay on 81 and take 77 through Charlotte instead, avoiding the disaster on I95.
Can you provide a link to an article corroborating that? I’ e tried but can’t seem to find one.

I lived in that area for most of 35 years. My first winter there I was astounded to see cars abandoned on the shoulder and even in the driving lane when it snowed as little as three inches! (And that was 1986, well before EVs). There is no doubt there were many vehicles to be towed after that incident but I would be very surprised if they were all (or even mostly) dead EVs.
__________________
Why do people insist on making claims without looking them up first, do they really think no one will check? Proof by emphatic assertion rarely works.
Confirmation bias is real; I can find any number of articles that say so.


Victor, NY - Randallstown, MD - Yakima, WA - Stevensville, MD - Village of Hillsborough

Last edited by Bill14564; Yesterday at 07:28 PM.
  #11  
Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 55,566
Thanks: 14,622
Thanked 5,049 Times in 3,095 Posts
Default

My Dad ended up in his career as the Catastrophy Manager for a major insurance company. He liked it right here in the Villages. There are deadly tornadoes here on occasion but there's not a whole lot of preparation for them here. And they seem rare. Minneapolis had sirens, for example, for tornadoes coming there.
  #12  
Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM
BrianL99 BrianL99 is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 5,508
Thanks: 325
Thanked 4,653 Times in 1,970 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
A few winters ago there was a major snow/ice storm between Fredericksburg and Richmond Virginia during snowbird migration season that shut down I95 overnight on a very chilly/windy night because of jackknifed tractor trailers. Once the road finally reopened the next day traffic still couldn’t move because the road was clogged up with EV’s with dead batteries from running their heaters to start warm. It took hours to tow away all the dead EV’s so traffic could flow again.

We dodged a bullet, we were heading south during the storm and were planning on cutting across from Winchester VA to Fredericksburg, but after seeing the forecast we decided to stay on 81 and take 77 through Charlotte instead, avoiding the disaster on I95.
I was there, but I always take 81 & 77. On my way to TV to close on my house, Woke up in VA & it was about 12 degees. January, 2022. Snow on the ground, from NH to NC.
  #13  
Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM
Blackie's Avatar
Blackie Blackie is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 301
Thanks: 167
Thanked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
A few winters ago there was a major snow/ice storm between Fredericksburg and Richmond Virginia during snowbird migration season that shut down I95 overnight on a very chilly/windy night because of jackknifed tractor trailers. Once the road finally reopened the next day traffic still couldn’t move because the road was clogged up with EV’s with dead batteries from running their heaters to start warm. It took hours to tow away all the dead EV’s so traffic could flow again.

We dodged a bullet, we were heading south during the storm and were planning on cutting across from Winchester VA to Fredericksburg, but after seeing the forecast we decided to stay on 81 and take 77 through Charlotte instead, avoiding the disaster on I95.

Here is an ACTUAL account from someone who was in that chaos in a Tesla.

“I'''m Grateful That I Was Driving My EV When I Got Stuck On I-95” - ZETA
  #14  
Old Today, 06:54 AM
Rocksnap Rocksnap is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Jun 2024
Posts: 788
Thanks: 1,449
Thanked 668 Times in 336 Posts
Default

Yet another reason while I won’t own an EV as an only car, which is my case.
Until Toyota comes out with their NEW battery with a 600 mile range and a 40 year life span.
Imagine being able to swap your battery from car to car every X many years.
  #15  
Old Today, 06:56 AM
Driller703 Driller703 is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: ME, FL, MS, TX, CA, VA (since 1979)
Posts: 274
Thanks: 217
Thanked 91 Times in 50 Posts
Default Chaos in a Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
Here is an ACTUAL account from someone who was in that chaos in a Tesla.

“I'''m Grateful That I Was Driving My EV When I Got Stuck On I-95” - ZETA
It’s too bad that the other drivers of all the dead Teslas that littered the highway weren’t as smart or as lucky as you apparently are.
__________________
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting some hard battle.
Reply

Tags
gas, florida, gasoline, hurricane, floridians


You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 PM.