Killing with Kindness

Closed Thread
Old 06-07-2015, 05:55 AM
Email Reported As Spam

I had developed the habit of utilizing markers when driving on unmarked country roads or in parking lots. Hint : just don't select a marker that moves
Old 06-07-2015, 07:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

My son was driving once and was waiting to to make a left hand turn onto a street where he did not have the right of way. Like in your example, a car stopped and flashed his lights to allow him to exit. As he moved toward the middle of the intersection, a car behind the one that stopped to let him go, went around the stopped car and collided with my son's car. Thankfully, no one injured, but my son was cited for failing to yield. His insurance company had to pay up.

Nothing wrong with being polite, but when driving, whether a car, golf cart or bicycle, everyone needs to be aware of everything and everyone around them.

I talked to my son after this incident and asked if he was looking for a car coming from his left as he was making the turn. He responded no, because the first car had waved him through. I told him that you always have to be looking out for other vehicles and expect the unexpected.

I was going around a round about a few weeks ago. I was in the left hand lane in order to take the second exit. A woman was in the right hand lane next to me as I entered the round about and stayed there as we approached the second exit. I was watching here and as I started to take the exit, she kept going around to the third exit. I stopped and avoided the collision. She kept going completely unaware of what she had done. Now, she was completely in the wrong, but because I was aware that she was there, I avoided a collision.

I see way too many people driving as if they have blinders on. They stare straight ahead and seldom look in their mirrors. When you're driving, your head should be on a swivel and your eyes should constantly be going from the road in front of you t you left hand mirror, your center mirror and your right hand mirror. You're not taking your eyes off the road. You'll see whats in front of you in your peripheral vision at all times, but you need to keep your eyes and head moving.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:29 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
My son was driving once and was waiting to to make a left hand turn onto a street where he did not have the right of way. Like in your example, a car stopped and flashed his lights to allow him to exit. As he moved toward the middle of the intersection, a car behind the one that stopped to let him go, went around the stopped car and collided with my son's car. Thankfully, no one injured, but my son was cited for failing to yield. His insurance company had to pay up.

Nothing wrong with being polite, but when driving, whether a car, golf cart or bicycle, everyone needs to be aware of everything and everyone around them.

I talked to my son after this incident and asked if he was looking for a car coming from his left as he was making the turn. He responded no, because the first car had waved him through. I told him that you always have to be looking out for other vehicles and expect the unexpected.

I was going around a round about a few weeks ago. I was in the left hand lane in order to take the second exit. A woman was in the right hand lane next to me as I entered the round about and stayed there as we approached the second exit. I was watching here and as I started to take the exit, she kept going around to the third exit. I stopped and avoided the collision. She kept going completely unaware of what she had done. Now, she was completely in the wrong, but because I was aware that she was there, I avoided a collision.

I see way too many people driving as if they have blinders on. They stare straight ahead and seldom look in their mirrors. When you're driving, your head should be on a swivel and your eyes should constantly be going from the road in front of you t you left hand mirror, your center mirror and your right hand mirror. You're not taking your eyes off the road. You'll see whats in front of you in your peripheral vision at all times, but you need to keep your eyes and head moving.
Hi doc: My career was in insurance and the scenario you present regarding your son is so common place. In fact my daughter also got caught up in that same manner as your son, despite the number of times I warned her (my children) about this trap. she got hit and she got fined because some guy waved her through.

Being in an occupation for a period of time makes one prescient. For example a producer inspector wrote that inspecting imported fruit before it entered the United Stats made him quite aware that snakes or deadly insect lurked about.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,160 Times in 2,252 Posts

Just had the opportunity to have a driver in a blue Mazda STOP on Pinellas Place to let golf carts cross, NOTE: they were already stopped waiting for us to pass. I was able to stop behind this nincompoop but I could easily see others who would not be able.... result two cars and 1 or 2 golf carts involved in the collision. Need I say more.

Tags
golf, kindness, cart, car, reason, apply, vehicles, carts, top, driver, vehicle, road, rules, traveling, actions, consequences, clear, vertical, located, stopped, portion, proceed, bikes, drivers, hazard

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.