Kitchen Island set incorrectly

Closed Thread
Old 01-26-2021, 11:42 PM
Question Kitchen Island set incorrectly

I am new to the villages, I purchased an existing home built in 2014. There is an island in the kitchen which I am pretty sure was set facing the wrong direction. The island has electricity running through it and I was wondering how/if I could get the builders of the villages to take a look at it and maybe set it correctly? Is this at all possible? The island is really in the wrong position, making me crazy... Help!
Old 01-27-2021, 12:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINFISH View Post
I am new to the villages, I purchased an existing home built in 2014. There is an island in the kitchen which I am pretty sure was set facing the wrong direction. The island has electricity running through it and I was wondering how/if I could get the builders of the villages to take a look at it and maybe set it correctly? Is this at all possible? The island is really in the wrong position, making me crazy... Help!
At this point I'd say you bought it, you own it. That might be the way the previous owners, or whoever built the house wanted the island.

Even with power running through it I can't imagine a competent contractor couldn't reposition it the way you'd like. I wouldn't hold your breath on the developer doing anything on a re-sold 7 year old home.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 01-27-2021, 04:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
At this point I'd say you bought it, you own it. That might be the way the previous owners, or whoever built the house wanted the island.

Even with power running through it I can't imagine a competent contractor couldn't reposition it the way you'd like. I wouldn't hold your breath on the developer doing anything on a re-sold 7 year old home.
I agree. It is way too late to expect The Villages to do anything. I would try calling handyman Aloha Larry, 561-239-0797. But, any contractor or cabinet company can fix it. The electrical part is easy.
Old 01-27-2021, 05:40 AM

Who was your Home inspector? The good part is if you want it spun, I am sure a good handyman can take care of it. may I suggest if you don't use the electric outlet have the electric capped and put casters on your island..
Old 01-27-2021, 08:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

How an island is set up is the owners choice. It’s not a warranty issue. If you are not a fan have it moved. House we looked at, I didn’t like the island at all, would have removed it, and capped the outlet
Old 01-27-2021, 11:22 AM

Thanks, a handyman or a contractor was my next step. A friend said I should try getting in touch with the villages 1st, but I’m not sure how to do that..... I guess I will ask him!
Old 01-27-2021, 11:25 AM

Not worried about it at all, was just asking..... And I am sure I can have it changed, I like my island, just need it swung around.... But thanks anyway!
Old 01-27-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post

Thanks, that was helpful.... are you always this friendly... I kind of figured that out myself, just thought a friendly person my know different... stranger things have been know to happen
Old 01-27-2021, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaunchyRich View Post
Who was your Home inspector? The good part is if you want it spun, I am sure a good handyman can take care of it. may I suggest if you don't use the electric outlet have the electric capped and put casters on your island..
Thanks, a handyman or a contractor was my next step. A friend said I should try getting in touch with the villages 1st, but I’m not sure how to do that..... I guess I will ask him!
Old 01-27-2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
How an island is set up is the owners choice. It’s not a warranty issue. If you are not a fan have it moved. House we looked at, I didn’t like the island at all, would have removed it, and capped the outlet
Not worried about it at all, was just asking..... And I am sure I can have it changed, I like my island, just need it swung around.... But thanks anyway!
Old 01-27-2021, 01:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

OP, if your island is set on top of the tile, this should be relatively easy, if the island was set and then the tile was installed you may be in for a very nasty surprise, especially if matching tile is not available. Proceed carefully so that you can reverse what ever you do. My first step would be to carefully remove the trim at the bottom of the island an see if the tile goes under the island. My next step would be to buy or borrow a borescope type camera and have a look at the actual flooring under the cabinet. This information will let you know how easy the island can be moved or relocated. Hope this helps and good luck with your project.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

~~~
Old 01-27-2021, 01:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHVIN View Post
Thanks, that was helpful.... are you always this friendly... I kind of figured that out myself, just thought a friendly person my know different... stranger things have been know to happen
Sometimes I'm even more friendly..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 01-28-2021, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINFISH View Post
1) W didn’t you have the owners fix it before you bought it)
2) if they didn’t want to fix it, why did you buy the house.
3) once you did buy it The Villages had nothing to do with it.
I think if you want it fixed you are going to have to absorb the costs.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:47 AM
Default Just a suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHVIN View Post
Hi,
Another thing you may want to consider. If you flip the island around, it may have a different footprint which may leave the concrete exposed if the flooring was installed after cabinet install.
Then you have to find flooring to match. And after 7 years...it won’t be easy.
Closed Thread

Tags
island, set, kitchen, wrong, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.