The Lady Lake meeting to discuss the Paradise Dr. Cart Access

Closed Thread
Old 08-18-2013, 06:48 PM
Gold member
Default The Lady Lake meeting to discuss the Paradise Dr. Cart Access

For those of you who plan to attend the meeting tomorrow evening regarding the Golf Cart Thoroughfare to/from Paradise Drive, below is my letter to Mayor Richards regarding my opinions on the matter.

I urge my fellow Stonecrest neighbors as well as other open minded neighbors to print this out and bring it to the meeting in an effort to ensure that these issues will be discussed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mayor Richards,

Attached please find a copy of the letter from Gary Moyer to Janet Tutt regarding the removal of the recently erected wall and recommending approval by the VCCDD to take ownership of the golf cart thoroughfare that was approved by the Town of Lady Lake in 1998. It further indicates that they intend to install an access gate on that thoroughfare that would restrict access to Villages Residents only.

I believe that regardless of whether or not ownership of that thoroughfare is transferred, the Town of Lady Lake must deny any request to install any such gate that will restrict access to only Villages residents, for the following reasons:

1. Resolution 98-106 requested approval for construction of a golf cart thoroughfare, not a restricted access gated entryway.
2. The approved engineering plans do not show any such gates.
3. Paradise Drive on the eastern end of that thoroughfare is a public access road and the property on the western side is a public access parking lot.
4. The proposed gate would provide access to medical, retail, and restaurant facilities by Villages resident seniors while at the same time denying access by Stonecrest and eventually Spruce Creek South resident seniors to similar facilities in Lady Lake and beyond. And it should be noted that some of these seniors do not own automobiles and this has been their only way to access those facilities (including the Lady Lake US Post Office) for many years now.
5. The VCCDD is a Community Development District that is a public non-profit unit of local government. As such, any roads, throughways, or multi-modal cart paths under its jurisdiction must be accessible to the public.
6. The multi-modal paths (not golf course paths) used by carts for transportation throughout TV are an integral part of the public access roadways within TV and are not private recreational facilities as some have suggested. They were built to provide golf cart access where travel on the regular roads by carts is prohibited due to safety concerns. Their primary function is transportation, not recreation. Furthermore, they were built with tax free municipal bond funds. And although they are maintained with VCCDD amenity funds, that does not empower the VCCDD to declare them private any more than a city or town with a local tax can declare some of their streets for resident use only.
7. Access through this cart thoroughfare by non TV residents does not in any way compromise the exclusivity of the numerous private recreational facilities in TV any more than access by automobile does.
8. This golf cart thoroughfare has been available as approved in an unrestricted manner for the better part of fifteen years now. If the intent was to create a TV resident only golf cart access to and from Paradise Drive, it should have been clearly stated as such in the 1998 resolution. But it wasn’t.

If the proposed change requires installation of a gate for security or safety reasons, it must not require an access card and any such addition should require submission and approval by the Town of Lady Lake.

Respectfully,

EdV
Stonecrest Resident, Summerfield Florida
Old 08-18-2013, 06:55 PM
Sage

Your point #6 is WRONG. The multi-modal trails are private property. Say what you want - it is a Constitutional right of yours - but the multi-modal trails are private property. END OF DISCUSSION.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:00 PM
Gold member

And some people just can't handle the truth!
Old 08-18-2013, 07:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
Your point #6 is WRONG. The multi-modal trails are private property. Say what you want - it is a Constitutional right of yours - but the multi-modal trails are private property. END OF DISCUSSION.
Interesting thought, but what's in question are cart lanes on public roads, and their access.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post

What is the difference between the paths. There are paths that run behind the houses and interconnect with Golf Cart Trails and there are paths that run parallel with the roads. Please define the official definition of each.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:09 PM

Ed - please provide us with the Moyer-Tutt letter. I do plan on attending tomorrow night and will use your post. This is not a case of us (TV) versus them (Stonecrest) which, unfortunately, it seems to have degenerated to. It is a case of a wall going up without a permit and in violation of a 1998 resolution. And yes, I live in TV and have for almost ten years.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:10 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve9930 View Post
What is the difference between the paths. There are paths that run behind the houses and interconnect with Golf Cart Trails and there are paths that run parallel with the roads. Please define the official definition of each.
Click on this link for a great interactive view of the multi-modal paths throughout the villages. They're not golf cart paths but the paths used for transportation throughout the entire area.

Carting The Villages -Home
Old 08-18-2013, 07:13 PM
Sage

EdV, why did you change your opinion about the path being blocked?

Your response from a previous thread about the closure: "But regarding access by Stonecrest residents, let me give you my thoughts. Stonecrest has around 2000 homes, but unlike TV where there are roughly 40,000 golf carts, Stonecrest has at most 500 carts. And of those, not many of them would be using that dusty cart path and the narrow golf cart bridge to Spanish Springs very often. The importance of Stonecrest in the golf cart path into TV has been grossly exaggerated.

"Clearly there is something else afoot and time will tell as we sort it out. But I haven’t seen this much excitement on TOTV in quite a while.

"Buckle Up as Bettie Davis once said."
Old 08-18-2013, 07:19 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
EdV, why did you change your opinion about the path being blocked?
I never have changed my opinion. It's wrong.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdV View Post
I never have changed my opinion. It's wrong.
You know what I meant. I am not being confrontational with you. I was hoping to gain insight into your thinking and I was hoping your answer would be informational to me.

EDIT: And for the record, I meant your opinion about the impact to Stonecrest residents.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:21 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitakk View Post
Ed - please provide us with the Moyer-Tutt letter. I do plan on attending tomorrow night and will use your post. This is not a case of us (TV) versus them (Stonecrest) which, unfortunately, it seems to have degenerated to. It is a case of a wall going up without a permit and in violation of a 1998 resolution. And yes, I live in TV and have for almost ten years.
Here you are.

Moyer-Tutt letter.

I wish I could be there but I on top of a mountain with a busted kneecap.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:31 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
You know what I meant. I am not being confrontational with you. I was hoping to gain insight into your thinking and I was hoping your answer would be informational to me.

EDIT: And for the record, I meant your opinion about the impact to Stonecrest residents.
Honestly BK I'm not sure what you meant. But it is getting late and my neighbors up here insisted that I join them for a happy hour gathering so please understand, I'm a bit fuzzy at this point.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Honestly BK I'm not sure what you meant. But it is getting late and my neighbors up here insisted that I join them for a happy hour gathering so please understand, I'm a bit fuzzy at this point.
Well, have fun. Be safe. Don't get eaten by a bear. Heal quickly. I love those beautiful Smoky Mountains.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:35 PM

EdV, have you gotten a legal and professional opinion from a local lawyer on this issue, or are your posts your own personal opinion? I am just curious as to where you got your facts which seem like they are somewhat legal sounding.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:39 PM
Gold member

Quote:
For those of you who plan to attend the meeting tomorrow evening regarding the Golf Cart Thoroughfare to/from Paradise Drive, below is my letter to Mayor Richards regarding my opinions on the matter.

I urge my fellow Stonecrest neighbors as well as other open minded neighbors to print this out and bring it to the meeting in an effort to ensure that these issues will be discussed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mayor Richards,

Attached please find a copy of the letter from Gary Moyer to Janet Tutt regarding the removal of the recently erected wall and recommending approval by the VCCDD to take ownership of the golf cart thoroughfare that was approved by the Town of Lady Lake in 1998. It further indicates that they intend to install an access gate on that thoroughfare that would restrict access to Villages Residents only.

I believe that regardless of whether or not ownership of that thoroughfare is transferred, the Town of Lady Lake must deny any request to install any such gate that will restrict access to only Villages residents, for the following reasons:

1. Resolution 98-106 requested approval for construction of a golf cart thoroughfare, not a restricted access gated entryway.
2. The approved engineering plans do not show any such gates.
3. Paradise Drive on the eastern end of that thoroughfare is a public access road and the property on the western side is a public access parking lot.
4. The proposed gate would provide access to medical, retail, and restaurant facilities by Villages resident seniors while at the same time denying access by Stonecrest and eventually Spruce Creek South resident seniors to similar facilities in Lady Lake and beyond. And it should be noted that some of these seniors do not own automobiles and this has been their only way to access those facilities (including the Lady Lake US Post Office) for many years now.
5. The VCCDD is a Community Development District that is a public non-profit unit of local government. As such, any roads, throughways, or multi-modal cart paths under its jurisdiction must be accessible to the public.
6. The multi-modal paths (not golf course paths) used by carts for transportation throughout TV are an integral part of the public access roadways within TV and are not private recreational facilities as some have suggested. They were built to provide golf cart access where travel on the regular roads by carts is prohibited due to safety concerns. Their primary function is transportation, not recreation. Furthermore, they were built with tax free municipal bond funds. And although they are maintained with VCCDD amenity funds, that does not empower the VCCDD to declare them private any more than a city or town with a local tax can declare some of their streets for resident use only.
7. Access through this cart thoroughfare by non TV residents does not in any way compromise the exclusivity of the numerous private recreational facilities in TV any more than access by automobile does.
8. This golf cart thoroughfare has been available as approved in an unrestricted manner for the better part of fifteen years now. If the intent was to create a TV resident only golf cart access to and from Paradise Drive, it should have been clearly stated as such in the 1998 resolution. But it wasn’t.

If the proposed change requires installation of a gate for security or safety reasons, it must not require an access card and any such addition should require submission and approval by the Town of Lady Lake.

Respectfully,

EdV
Stonecrest Resident, Summerfield Florida

EdV, why don't you explain to The Villages residents how a determination in favor of Stonecresters using The Villages private golf cart paths by the powers that be, sets a new precedent for accessing The Villages.

If this access that Stonecrest is insisting upon is allowed in The Villages, more lawsuits would most likely ensue from abutting properties claiming entitlement to public access to anywhere in The Villages on Village private cart paths.

Villagers, that sucking sound you would be hearing is lost value of your property. Public access to your private cart paths through our neighborhoods by surrounding communities such as Stonecrest, Wildwood, Spruce Creek, perhaps Fruitland Park would devastate The Villages as our community was never meant to handle the volume of traffic from neighboring golf carts.

I stated earlier that you can't un-ring a bell and EdV, I think you're very aware that a ruling in your favor could not be upheld for Stonecresters only.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.