Laminate floors crackling

Closed Thread
Old 08-15-2017, 06:39 AM
Default Laminate floors crackling

We just had laminate floors installed throughout our house. It crackles in many places around the perimeter and in some places 6 to 12 inches out from the baseboards. They took the baseboards off during installation and reinstalled them so there isn't any quarter round. The installers tell us it's normal. It sounds awful. For those of you who have laminate - is it normal?
Old 08-15-2017, 06:44 AM

No it's not
Old 08-15-2017, 06:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I suggest calling the manufacturer of the laminate and ask them the same question. You might get a different response than you did from the installers.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:30 AM
Sage

Sloppy installation we have 1/4 round no carpet in our house--did they put a plastic under lay?the boards are supposed to float
Old 08-15-2017, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,726 Times in 5,248 Posts

Quarter round molding is often confused with shoe molding. Most flooring installations use shoe molding. However, I don't think the molding or lack thereof has anything to do with the crackling floor.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Sloppy installation we have 1/4 round no carpet in our house--did they put a plastic under lay?the boards are supposed to float
Agree with the above. Don't be easy on the installer. They usually want to get by or get away.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:12 AM
Veteran member

I am an ex Shaw Floors employee. It has nothing to do with molding or lack thereof. If the floor is not perfectly level a floating floor like laminate often makes noise when stepped on. It is movement of the locking system. Believe it or not, we had this with the laminate installed at Shaw headquarters.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:18 AM
Veteran member

We have had laminate floor in the entire house for 3 years -- no noise whatsoever. Sounds like an installation problem on yours.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:30 AM

Thank you for all the responses. We just called the floor manufacturer - Nuvelle - and they are going to call us back. Every corner as well as most of the perimeter crackles. Your responses have really helped.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,153 Times in 2,250 Posts

If they did not install the foam isolation barrier, I can easily see you having a crackling sound. The concrete floor probably had some dust and debris, which is now trapped between 2 hard surfaces, and when you walk on it, it is either moving or crumbling, either will cause noise. Do you remember if the isolation barrier was installed? If this was installed, then quiz the flooring manufacturer to see if the correct barrier was installed. I installed these types of floors myself several times back up north, and as I recall the warranty was void if I did not use the correct barrier.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:40 AM

They did install a barrier. And they seemed to be careful about keeping the area clean by sweeping and vacuuming. According to the owner and the installers the crackling is normal around the baseboards. I didn't think it was and now I know it wasn't.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:58 PM
Default ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jejuca View Post
We just had laminate floors installed throughout our house. It crackles in many places around the perimeter and in some places 6 to 12 inches out from the baseboards. They took the baseboards off during installation and reinstalled them so there isn't any quarter round. The installers tell us it's normal. It sounds awful. For those of you who have laminate - is it normal?
May I ask where you purchased it? I am thinking of having it done so would like to avoid your problem.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:46 PM
Default Moisture in slab

A different problem with installing laminate flooring. The installer tested the concrete slab and said spots were too moist to lay the floor that day. Setup fans and AC to dry it up so it could be completed. Had to reschedule installation. Anyone have this problem?
Old 08-16-2017, 04:12 PM

Interesting about the concrete being wet. I don't think they tested the slab. How did they do it?
I don't want to identify them yet because according to the owner they will be fixing it to our satisfaction. We will see.
We have disputed the amount on our credit card and have been credited back the money so we now have that as leverage.
And, we will be getting a second professional opinion.
Also, thank you for the suggestion about calling the manufacturer. I have called twice - so far, no call back from the rep but I will keep pursuing that.
Thanks again for everyone's help.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:00 PM

Update - I got a call back from the manufacturer and they were very supportive. We sent a video of the crackling floor. They assured us it was normal and would contact the flooring company. The flooring company installers came today and as soon as they walked in prior to doing anything they said they knew what the problem was - sticky paint on the bottom of the molding. They removed some of the molding, sanded it again, and replaced it and lo and behold - no more squeaking.
So, we are happy campers - just wish contractors would just fix the problem rather than make excuses. Withholding a payment is not a pleasant experience for us.
Anyway, thank you all for your support - and suggestions.
Closed Thread

Tags
laminate, places, baseboards, normal, floors

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.