Lamp Post

Closed Thread
Old 03-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Default Lamp Post

We recently purchased in TV and currently are renting it to offset the purchase. The renters have informed me that the lamp post light does not work and they changed the bulb, any recommendation on a trouble shooting before I call in an electrician. Thank you in advance
Old 03-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&SCody View Post
We recently purchased in TV and currently are renting it to offset the purchase. The renters have informed me that the lamp post light does not work and they changed the bulb, any recommendation on a trouble shooting before I call in an electrician. Thank you in advance
Probably the light sensor or check the breaker switch.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

I had the same problem in my new home called Pike they came right out and changed the light sensor and checked the breaker in the panel under home warranty.Good luck
Old 03-08-2012, 07:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Probably the light sensor or check the breaker switch.

Bill
Old 03-08-2012, 09:07 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

It's usually the light sensor. Easy job for any semi-decent handyman.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Sage

To replace the light sensor:

Step 1: Shut off breaker

Step 2: Test for power at the lamp post to make sure that was the right one....................

Friend of ours went to replace his electric hot water heater some time back. He shut off the breaker labeled "Water Heater", started unwiring the old water heater........and promptly got knocked on his butt! Oops! Breaker labeled incorrectly! Dang - I HATE it when that happens. Lucky he didn't go up in smoke.

I think he's still cursing the electrician who wired their house (and labeled the panel) when the house was built.

Bill
Old 03-08-2012, 09:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
To replace the light sensor:

Step 1: Shut off breaker

Step 2: Test for power at the lamp post to make sure that was the right one....................

Friend of ours went to replace his electric hot water heater some time back. He shut off the breaker labeled "Water Heater", started unwiring the old water heater........and promptly got knocked on his butt! Oops! Breaker labeled incorrectly! Dang - I HATE it when that happens. Lucky he didn't go up in smoke.

I think he's still cursing the electrician who wired their house (and labeled the panel) when the house was built.

Bill
Never assume labeling is correct, always check for power with a DVM.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Veteran member

We had the same issue when we bought our home here. An alternative fix is to go to Walmart and buy a screw-in light socket with a sensor (I think I paid about $15 for ours--be sure to get an outdoor rated socket as opposed to the cheaper indoor rated socket). Screw the socket into the existing socket and put in a new bulb and chances are you are good to go--at least it worked for us (and i didn't have to call an electrician or do any wiring myself).

"Growing older but not up." J. Buffett

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages
Old 03-09-2012, 05:46 AM
Veteran member
Default GFI in garage

You may want to see if the GFI outlet in the garage has tripped. Tell them to push the test button and then the reset button. Put a piece of black tape or hold hand over the the electric eye for at least 3 minutes to see if light comes on, or wait until dark. Most of the newer homes are use the garage GFI to feed the post light.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappyjon431 View Post
We had the same issue when we bought our home here. An alternative fix is to go to Walmart and buy a screw-in light socket with a sensor (I think I paid about $15 for ours--be sure to get an outdoor rated socket as opposed to the cheaper indoor rated socket). Screw the socket into the existing socket and put in a new bulb and chances are you are good to go--at least it worked for us (and i didn't have to call an electrician or do any wiring myself).
Normally when the sensor fails, power isn't available to the socket as the hot wire goes to the sensor first, then to the socket. Your alternate fix then wouldn't work and the sensor would need to be replaced. FYI...it's also common for the sensor to fail in the opposite mode...that is not turning off at all.
If any landscaping has been done in the area recently, there's also a possibility that the feeder has been nicked. You can verify that power is available at the pole by checking the breaker in the garage, then by disconnecting the sensor and fixture and checking for 120V at the incoming wires with a meter.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnpat View Post
Normally when the sensor fails, power isn't available to the socket as the hot wire goes to the sensor first, then to the socket. Your alternate fix then wouldn't work and the sensor would need to be replaced. FYI...it's also common for the sensor to fail in the opposite mode...that is not turning off at all.
If any landscaping has been done in the area recently, there's also a possibility that the feeder has been nicked. You can verify that power is available at the pole by checking the breaker in the garage, then by disconnecting the sensor and fixture and checking for 120V at the incoming wires with a meter.
Good point...I should have mentioned that when we bought our home the sensor failed but when I replaced the bulb I had light constantly (the light did not turn off at all unless I turned off the switch at the front door). So I had a good power source, a good socket, but a bad sensor. I simply screwed in a socket equipped with a sensor and in my case it worked.

"Growing older but not up." J. Buffett

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages
Old 03-09-2012, 07:50 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Oldcrabs View Post
You may want to see if the GFI outlet in the garage has tripped. Tell them to push the test button and then the reset button. Put a piece of black tape or hold hand over the the electric eye for at least 3 minutes to see if light comes on, or wait until dark. Most of the newer homes are use the garage GFI to feed the post light.
Usually, the pole light and the garage doors are on the same circuit.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 03-13-2012, 09:46 AM

Thanks everyone. I will be down in 2 weeks to try and use some of the suggestions. They have since informed me the walkway lighting is also not working so it might be a breaker issue......
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.