Lamp post replacement

Closed Thread
Old 05-07-2021, 05:33 AM
Default Lamp post replacement

Hi
We just moved to the Villages and need to replace our delapidated lamp post before it falls over.

We have noticed that there are a large variety of different replacements online as well as driving around the villages.

Are there restrictions on style size etc?

Do we need permission or permits?

Thanks
Julie
Old 05-07-2021, 06:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

984 Old Mill Run
The Villages, FL 32162

Community Standards
Phone: 352-751-3912

A lot of other good information here:
Village Community Development Districts
Old 05-07-2021, 08:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliewaters View Post
Hi
We just moved to the Villages and need to replace our delapidated lamp post before it falls over.

We have noticed that there are a large variety of different replacements online as well as driving around the villages.

Thanks
Julie
As in post #2 I'm sure they can advise you. From what I see, some people have one bulb, usually an Edison base-the common mid sized screw in base. Other have 3 bulbs
usually candelabra base. We have three. They were tungsten bulbs that used to burn out fairly regularly. We replaced those with more efficient and far longer lasting LED bulbs. So far NOT one has blown and they have lasted about 8 years. Figure 9 hours a day for 3,000 days 27,000 hours and they use like 10% as much electricity. Advantage to one bulb is more light for the electricity used. Advantage of multiple bulbs, they will never all fail at the same time. If, one goes, I would replace all of them. The others will not go much longer than the one that blew first.

Opinion perhaps superstition. Since it is outdoors and likely made of aluminum in spite of the applied finish, I would, I did on mine, apply a no seize compound to screws and lamp sockets. Outside things have a habit of welding themselves in place. Mine has not YET failed but the sensor eyes do not last forever.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,933 Times in 2,456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliewaters View Post
Hi

Thanks
Julie

Unless it rusted out at bottom it maybe easier to firm up foundation. It you’re doing this yourself I hope you have general electrical knowledge? You have to turn power off ( and you want to verify with meter no power) disconnect the lamp socket, sensor, remove the pole. inspect wire harness.

Now that everything good and wrapped, feed wire up the pole, mount the pole, mount and re-wire the lamp socket and sensor, install bulb, turn electric back on check see if it works or you have power to socket with the sensor covered up so it thinks it dark out. Finish the lamp cover and paint pole it not white? And that’s if everything goes smoothly?
Old 05-07-2021, 10:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

A change in the light will require ARC approval so make you check with them. I assume they will want you to replace with the same style.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-08-2021, 05:35 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

After you contact ARC , which you should do for almost every outdoor improvement, I suggest that you install a 5 inch diameter piece of PVC around the bottom of your pole.. possibly 6 - 8 in high and color match it to your pole. This will give your pipe a little protection when the grass maintenance crew is turned loose on your lawn.. good luck ... LED soft white bulb(s) will have the longevity you are looking for
Old 05-08-2021, 10:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,153 Times in 2,250 Posts

All of the lamp posts I have seen so far were aluminum, these do not rust, they can corrode but not usually to the extent that the post fails. As noted above I would check the foundation. Be very careful where the wiring enters the post. I have seen 2 installations where there were notches cutout of the post with rough edges that caused electrical problems.

Tags
lamp, villages, post, replacements, online

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.