Lanai windows

Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2021, 06:47 AM
Default Lanai windows

Would you enclose lanai with single pane window at $10K or dual pane window at 18K?

Either way I assume I will need to install mini-split at another 5K.

Lanai has eastern exposure so no direct afternoon sun.

Suggestions/opinions?
Old 03-11-2021, 06:49 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Single pane - you'll never recoup the extra 8K in energy costs unless it starts snowing here a LOT!
Old 03-11-2021, 07:12 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,304 Times in 562 Posts

Are windows and mini-splits that expensive ?
Old 03-11-2021, 07:18 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Mini splits are incredibly cheap - well under $1000.

The AC companies routinely charge 400% of the price PLUS installation costs. Min Splits are also very simple to install. But, this is TV, so go figure

Here's where I've always bought my AC stuff.. this particular model is the smallest but still massive overkill for a lanai.

🔥 9k BTU 18 SEER MrCool Advantage Ductless Heat Pump Split System 3rd Generation - 230v - HA18427 • Ingrams Water & Air
Old 03-11-2021, 08:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

We converted our lanai to a Florida end of last year and put in double pain glass. We have a western exposure and thought the room would be unusable in the afternoon.

Will wait and see if we need to address A/C when the temp gets warmer.

Cost depends upon size of lanai but the price you threw out seems high unless it is huge.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,590 Times in 568 Posts

We have been looking at preowned homes lately. What I can tell you is when we walked into a lanai with single pane or a double pane there has been a huge difference. Some single pane glass and the noise factor from just outside noise was very noticeable.
When we looked at homes with double pane if they backed up to a road there was a huge difference with noise factor, I would’ve gone with double pane in a heartbeat.
Same thing if it was just backing up to a neighbor I would go with a double pane. It’s not about worrying about winterizing for snow, lanais are for noise factors and dirt when you enclose. Go to some open houses with enclosed lanai.
So sit in your lanai and choose what is important noise factor from people, pool noises or traffic, then decide if $8000 is worth it.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:27 AM
Default Single pane vs double pane and mini splits

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbettyl View Post
Would you enclose lanai with single pane window at $10K or dual pane window at 18K?

Suggestions/opinions?
Double pane, with argon gas, provides good insulation, easy window washing and hurricane wind resistance. Single pane generally has one screen, where our three door sliders have two - single screen makes it hard to wash the outside of the windows. Being west facing, we still needed a shade for afternoon glare. Sound deadening, which is very good, was not a key feature for our installation. We're very happy with Custom Window's double pane solution at roughly $600 per linear ft. (2019 prices).

We chose a mini split that included both heat and cooling. Set a temp level and leave it alone all year (we also chose to spend more for the flush mount ceiling unit). Yes, the Mitsubishi mini is very expensive but it's essential to our daily use of the lanai. Munn's did a great job with the installation.

Slightly off issue - there is no insulation above the lanai (or the garage) so if you're enclosing and cooling, that will need to be addressed. Solar Guys will blow in insulation for a reasonable cost.
Old 03-11-2021, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We chose the more expensive double pain thermal windows and I admit that I was skeptical that we could get by without air conditioning in that long room. We have a west facing lanai. But they did a stellar job keeping the heat out and the cold out. We have had it now for three years and have not felt that we needed to install a mini-split. We kept both sets of doors from the lanai to the house; sliders and French doors. We have one vent from the house through the newer pool bath which is connected now to the lanai.

I am very tight with money and it was hard for me to agree to paying more for something but this really was worth it.

We get protection from Hurricane strength wind from the heavier glass too.

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-11-2021 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-11-2021, 03:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

We did single with tinting for about $5000. Our lanai is small, 2 doubles and one triple with a new door. Cook aluminum did ours.
Old 03-11-2021, 05:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,743 Times in 5,255 Posts

I would definitely go with double pane windows for comfort, noise reduction, and to prevent condensation. The energy cost and payback calculation would not be a consideration to me.
Old 03-12-2021, 05:56 AM

Even though you have eastern exposure, you'll be happier with double pane windows. It gets hot here in the summer, even with eastern exposure, you'll have plenty of heat gain through single pane windows. Plus, double pane is much quieter. Worth the money IMHO.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:09 AM

We did single pane sliders(12x15) 4 sliders on each side. Upgraded fan and room stays comfortable. We do have sun most of the day.
Sliders custom windows, Fan Dans Fans
Old 03-12-2021, 06:12 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:

Suggestions/opinions?
With single pane you will never have to replace them like some double pane windows when the seal breaks and they fog up
Old 03-12-2021, 06:55 AM

I am selling my home in Amelia. I enclosed my lanai with double pane plus changed all windows in the Amarillo to double hung, double pane high E. Made a huge difference in the cost of air conditioning.
Old 03-12-2021, 07:07 AM

Quote:

Suggestions/opinions?
Well we paid half up front for our double pane windows from Custom Windows in early November and we’re supposed to be installed Feb 01 of this year. After many trips to Custom Windows I am being told due to Supply chain issues they have no idea when they will be in. I also spoke with their supplier and was told due to Covid it could be possibly anywhere from 16 to 24 weeks. In short I would not order double pane at the moment at least until the Virus is somewhat stable.
Closed Thread

Tags
lanai, window, pane, sun, afternoon

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.