Lanai windows

Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2021, 10:14 AM

Under no circumstance would I choose to use Custom Windows of Leesburg again. After many calls and revisits, they finally got everything 'correct'. YOU will be the ONLY person checking for Quality Control of their work and the product and if you do not check it you will be very sorry in what you get from them and how they installed it. Also, they delay due to Covid, which is understandable. However, even once the product is in their hands they will work on your house for 30 minutes and LEAVE to go to another job and do that over and over again. I know you didn't ask this question, but I hope you listen to me in case you are considering to use them. And, as to your question: Yes use double pane windows else the room will not be comfortable even with a mini split and you will need a mini split anyways.
Old 03-12-2021, 10:32 AM

If you plan to AC, Heat, and or decrease Noise I would do double pane. also you have to insulate above the ceiling. You might consider a floor also.
Old 03-12-2021, 10:39 AM

If you plan to AC, Heat, and or decrease Noise I would do double pane. also you have to insulate above the ceiling. You might consider a floor also.
Old 03-12-2021, 10:52 AM

We had large sliders onto our lanai. We enclosed the lanai, all the way around with sliding doors. This morning it is a little cool outside, so I have the outside sliders closed and the indoor sliders open. A little heat from the house keeps it warm as I work on my lanai with full view of outside. When it gets warmer, I may open the outside sliders and get fresh air onto the lanai. Warmer still, I may open all the sliders and have fresh air into the house. This is great on warm summer evenings when we have friends over. When it is very cold, I close all the sliders and stay inside.

You have to be people who like fresh air and are not worried about privacy for this to work.

Another thing to consider: If you make your lanai into another air conditioned room, you will probably have to pay more tax.

Here is the way I think about it. If you need another room in your house, trade your lanai. Would you put single pane glass in any other room in your house to save construction cost? If you want to keep your lanai, but make it more usable throughout the year, consider sliders all around. It is, by far, the most flexible option.
Old 03-12-2021, 10:52 AM

single pane. Install removable screens for cleaning.
Old 03-12-2021, 10:55 AM

Our preowned home has single pain sliders and a Mitsubishi AC/ HEAT unit with a Northern exposure making it usable year round.
Old 03-12-2021, 11:08 AM

As I owned an enclosure business in my other life, I’d recommend the acrylic windows as they are less expensive than glass, plus it isn’t taxed as an enclosed room. Also, they are more energy efficient than single pane glass.
Old 03-12-2021, 11:28 AM

Shop around
Old 03-12-2021, 12:22 PM

Assume nothing. You are only going to enclose the lanai once, do it right with dual pane window with UV protection. Depending on the size of your home, the lanai and heat pump you may not need to add a split HVAC unit. Our lanai is 12X24, we enclosed it with high quality windows and sliders and are comfortably able to maintain it temp by adding two ceiling vents and adequate insulation. The contractor that encloses your room should add the insulation.
Old 03-12-2021, 12:38 PM
Default High?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbettyl View Post
Would you enclose lanai with single pane window at $10K or dual pane window at 18K?

Either way I assume I will need to install mini-split at another 5K.

Lanai has eastern exposure so no direct afternoon sun.

Suggestions/opinions?
Seems high but depends on lanai size.

Hope you got multiple bids and researched each contractor.
Old 03-12-2021, 01:12 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,760 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmarkwald View Post
Single pane - you'll never recoup the extra 8K in energy costs unless it starts snowing here a LOT!
Second that one, would be very unlikely to save you enough to justify !
Old 03-12-2021, 01:45 PM

Do not waste your money on single pane. Double pane the way to go
Depending on size of linea, 18000 too .much money
Check out custom window showroom in Wildwood
Old 03-12-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbettyl View Post
Would you enclose lanai with single pane window at $10K or dual pane window at 18K?

Either way I assume I will need to install mini-split at another 5K.

Lanai has eastern exposure so no direct afternoon sun.

Suggestions/opinions?
Our lanai was glassed in by former owners with with double panes that are almost 4x8 feet each. Even though our windows face west and though we have no trees in our back yard, we don't need the extra HVAC unit.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:02 PM

Whether single pane or double, go with doors vs windows if you there is any chance you will want to add (walk out to) a birdcage.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haallred02@aol.com View Post
Well we paid half up front for our double pane windows from Custom Windows in early November and we’re supposed to be installed Feb 01 of this year. After many trips to Custom Windows I am being told due to Supply chain issues they have no idea when they will be in. I also spoke with their supplier and was told due to Covid it could be possibly anywhere from 16 to 24 weeks. In short I would not order double pane at the moment at least until the Virus is somewhat stable.
We did ours with Custom Windows and instead of about 6 weeks or so took over 14 but they did do a good job. Had a problem today and they are coming Monday to fix.

They asked us for 50% and we negotiated down to about 1/3. Suspect some people could not go forward in the past and they want to get their cost out of the parts.

We did use a CC just to be safe.
Closed Thread

Tags
lanai, window, pane, sun, afternoon

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.