Laser pointed to the sky

Closed Thread
Old 09-19-2021, 05:33 AM
Default Laser pointed to the sky

About 6:18 am, I was out on my lanai and saw a green laser pointed to the sky. It was somewhere between Longleaf #4 and the lanai on Gordon Path (west side). A few minutes later, I saw the green laser again but not pointed to the sky. In between these episodes, I observed a Community Watch truck turning onto Gordon Path. While I didn't see a plane in the area, I am concerned that this could impair someone's vision in the cockpit and lasers can travel. Who do you report these incidents to? TIA
Old 09-19-2021, 06:33 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

It's not illegal to own or operate a laser. To 'report' it is the same as sharing your concerns that a neighbor might be a bank robber because they own a firearm.

If you see a plane being actively targeted call 911.

If a plane has been hit by a laser the pilot will report it to the air traffic controller. If the perp is foolish to point the laser at a military plane the pilot will report the exact coordinates to the ATC which will get law enforcement involved.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
It's not illegal to own or operate a laser. To 'report' it is the same as sharing your concerns that a neighbor might be a bank robber because they own a firearm.

If you see a plane being actively targeted call 911.

If a plane has been hit by a laser the pilot will report it to the air traffic controller. If the perp is foolish to point the laser at a military plane the pilot will report the exact coordinates to the ATC which will get law enforcement involved.
I called Community Watch. It is a 3rd degree felony to point a laser at a law officer or aircraft flight path. It's a 2nd degree felony if it results in injury. (Chapter 784 Section 062 - 2011 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate).

I think this individual is sitting on the lanai (not much happening here in the morning). This laser was actively pointed at the sky and well over my house. This was not simple ownership (like your firearm analogy). It was a strong light; however I couldn't see aircraft in the area but I don't know how far the laser could travel.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:03 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

I don't understand why anyone would buy a laser in the first place.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:21 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSSunshine View Post
I called Community Watch. It is a 3rd degree felony to point a laser at a law officer or aircraft flight path. It's a 2nd degree felony if it results in injury.
This laser was actively pointed at the sky and well over my house. This was not simple ownership (like your firearm analogy). It was a strong light; however I couldn't see aircraft in the area but I don't know how far the laser could travel.
Let me rephrase this for you: it is legal to point a laser in the sky UNLESS it is pointed in a aircraft flight path. It IS NOT a third or second degree felony or a crime of any kind to do so.

So yes my analogy is perfect and appropriate. Perhaps you do not understand aviation

The 'sky' is vast and the entire 'sky' is not a aviation flight path. In fact there are designated flight paths. To draw a analogy the entire dry earth (which is far smaller than the 'sky') is not a roadway.

Last edited by Toymeister; 09-19-2021 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,277 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I had one, years ago, when I was regularly giving lectures... It's still around here, somewhere...

Plus, they are hours of entertainment if you have a cat (and sometimes a dog...)

-Tom Petty
Old 09-19-2021, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Lasers are a great choice for a non lethal weapon, like having a taser or pepper spray. Most lasers sold in the U.S.A. are 5mw. When you get above that, they get really expensive, really fast.
Old 09-19-2021, 12:56 PM

Quote:
While on a small ship cruise in the Galapagos islands, one of the crew members used a green laser to point out southern constellations.

And we have had cats that love them.
Old 09-20-2021, 05:08 AM

Quote:
I called Community Watch. It is a 3rd degree felony to point a laser at a law officer or aircraft flight path. It's a 2nd degree felony if it results in injury. (Chapter 784 Section 062 - 2011 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate).

I think this individual is sitting on the lanai (not much happening here in the morning). This laser was actively pointed at the sky and well over my house. This was not simple ownership (like your firearm analogy). It was a strong light; however I couldn't see aircraft in the area but I don't know how far the laser could travel.
Green lasers are also used (not just to commit crimes, down aircraft and blind people) to point out stars and things of interest in the night sky to fellow watchers.
The laser can NOT travel to airplanes that are out of sight.
Old 09-20-2021, 05:35 AM
Default Really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Let me rephrase this for you: it is legal to point a laser in the sky UNLESS it is pointed in a aircraft flight path. It IS NOT a third or second degree felony or a crime of any kind to do so.

So yes my analogy is perfect and appropriate. Perhaps you do not understand aviation

The 'sky' is vast and the entire 'sky' is not a aviation flight path. In fact there are designated flight paths. To draw a analogy the entire dry earth (which is far smaller than the 'sky') is not a roadway.
How do you know what’s a flight path and what isn’t? The person pointing the laser at the sky might well be within a plane’s flight path
Old 09-20-2021, 06:20 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miriam2940 View Post
How do you know what’s a flight path and what isn’t? The person pointing the laser at the sky might well be within a plane’s flight path
Continuing the analogies:

How do you know if a neighbor, who owns a firearm, is not a bank robber as she (he) might well have used it for exactly that purpose?

Well you would SEE her (or him) robbing the bank!

A laser operating with no plane in sight, is not pointing the laser in a flight path.

Again, consider exactly how vast the 'sky' is. Controlled air space surrounds you, it starts at 600 feet and extends to 18,000 feet. In the extremely vast area of just the United States there are just 5,000 (average) planes in the air. Controlled air space is not synonymous with flight path.

At present, in this country, you are innocent until proven otherwise, you are not guilty because a neighbor thinks that you are.

Continuing:. You don't see a neighbor pointing a laser at a plane, you don't hear one, and no aircraft has contacted air traffic controller about targeting by lasers (this part isn't your concern) there is NOTHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT.

Last edited by Toymeister; 09-20-2021 at 06:46 AM.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:20 AM
Veteran member

I have a couple that my cats love to chase.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:40 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
About 6:18 am, I was out on my lanai and saw a green laser pointed to the sky. It was somewhere between Longleaf #4 and the lanai on Gordon Path (west side). A few minutes later, I saw the green laser again but not pointed to the sky. In between these episodes, I observed a Community Watch truck turning onto Gordon Path. While I didn't see a plane in the area, I am concerned that this could impair someone's vision in the cockpit and lasers can travel. Who do you report these incidents to? TIA
Yes, it can impair a pilot. Just like a gun can kill people, an axe can be used to chop up people, a match can be used to burn down a house. So? Its not illegal to own any of this stuff. And if its aimed at a pilot, he can pinpoint the location better than you. Dont waste a phone call to report something that “might” cause a problem if used in correctly. And I fail to see how the community watch truck fits into this tale.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:42 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to BlueHeronFan

Don't laugh.
Saw an episode on tv where the person was pointing a laser into the sky to try to signal UFOs.
Who knows, maybe trying it.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:48 AM

It kinda sounds like fun to have one.....
Closed Thread

Tags
laser, sky, pointed, path, gordon

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.