Latest On IRS Bond Issue

Closed Thread
Old 12-17-2012, 08:21 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdV View Post
Disconcerting. Really?

The only thing that separates Stonecrest from TV is a 3 foot high chain link fence. If the gloom and doom that some people fear would result from the IRS issue were to actually happen, it could affect me.

I enjoy all the wonderful public restaurants, retail stores , and medical facilities that this area provides. Anything that could have a negative effect on this would affect me.

And FWIW I'm no expert on the subject but I have followed it closely and tried to help members understand the issues.
If the property owners of The Villages are handed an assessment to pay the penalty and fine from the IRS, that would not effect people living in Stonecrest. If The Villages recreation facilities are cut back, that would not effect people living in Stonecrest.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:27 PM
Gold member

And for the last two years or so I have painstakingly explained to everyone why that will not happen. Yet a few of you (emphasis on the word few) insist on dismissing me without even taking the time to discuss the facts simply because I’m not a TV resident. But you’ll accept the fear mongering of an Orlando columnist who lives 50 miles from here. Go figure.

If you disagree with my stated opinions and postings on the IRS issue, why not address them specifically instead of shooting from the hip and dissing me just because I live next door.

But I do wish to thank those of you that have expressed appreciation for my posts on this subject even though you may not always agree or may continue to have some doubts.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:06 PM
TOTV Moderator

Please address the topic of the IRS bond issue and stop going after each other or the thread will be closed.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:59 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdV View Post
And for the last two years or so I have painstakingly explained to everyone why that will not happen. Yet a few of you (emphasis on the word few) insist on dismissing me without even taking the time to discuss the facts simply because I’m not a TV resident. But you’ll accept the fear mongering of an Orlando columnist who lives 50 miles from here. Go figure.

If you disagree with my stated opinions and postings on the IRS issue, why not address them specifically instead of shooting from the hip and dissing me just because I live next door.

But I do wish to thank those of you that have expressed appreciation for my posts on this subject even though you may not always agree or may continue to have some doubts.
EdV: In the interest of balanced reporting here I advance:

First, we are to ignore the comments of an investigative reporter, whom you believe has never had contact with the IRS but hang onto your every word.

Secondly, it should be clear by now that while there maybe a few of skeptics who address this thread there are more out there who just review and stay silent but wonder.

Given one and two then, it would behoove you to explain (and I am not being argumentative but seek information) why you are "the"authority here. Also dispite the fact that this is one of the most talked about topics in The Villages why people are still concerned but left with no definiitive answers. Because if there wasn't anything to concern us this topic would never appear here on TOTV or the POA Newsletter. It does because it is material to many residents

Your suggestion to me was then hire an attorney"" is instructive in that it makes clear we are all on our own here. So what happen to those taxes, fees etc residents have been paying to the Villages government?

The benfits of so called defensive optimisim is reality. I do not claim to be right but I claim the need for right things to advanced in support of residents

I suspect you are a very decent human being and I appreciate your input as it is akin to the type of open discussion usd in my business meetings but the nature of this dispute can't be reconciled with a "trust me"attitude some of us need more substanative fact.

Personal Best Regards:
Old 12-18-2012, 09:09 AM
Sage

I have read everything I can on Villages government, the IRS bond issue and attended the 6 week Resident Academy class. I am no expert but do try to stay informed.

There is a lot of confusion and misinformation in this thread and on this site about Villages governance. The issues are complex and the terms are often misused... Numbered CDDs vs central CDDs, infrastructure bonds vs recreation bonds, what are amenities and what are not.

The IRS bond issue is very complex and no one has a definitive answer on how it will play out. One positive outcome I hope to see is a more open and fair process in putting a value on the amenities and amenity contracts that are sold by the Developer to the central district.

FWIW, I find Ed V's posts to be very accurate and logical and thank him for his efforts to clarify and inform.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:13 AM
Sage

FWIW, I find Ed V's posts to be very accurate and logical and thank him for his efforts to clarify and inform.[/QUOTE]

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 12-18-2012, 09:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post
I have read everything I can on Villages government, the IRS bond issue and attended the 6 week Resident Academy class. I am no expert but do try to stay informed.

There is a lot of confusion and misinformation in this thread and on this site about Villages governance. The issues are complex and the terms are often misused... Numbered CDDs vs central CDDs, infrastructure bonds vs recreation bonds, what are amenities and what are not.

The IRS bond issue is very complex and no one has a definitive answer on how it will play out. One positive outcome I hope to see is a more open and fair process in putting a value on the amenities and amenity contracts that are sold by the Developer to the central district.

FWIW, I find Ed V's posts to be very accurate and logical and thank him for his efforts to clarify and inform.

Fine post.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post

First, we are to ignore the comments of an investigative reporter, whom you believe has never had contact with the IRS but hang onto your every word.

Secondly, it should be clear by now that while there maybe a few of skeptics who address this thread there are more out there who just review and stay silent but wonder.

Given one and two then, it would behoove you to explain (and I am not being argumentative but seek information) why you are "the"authority here. Also dispite the fact that this is one of the most talked about topics in The Villages why people are still concerned but left with no definiitive answers. Because if there wasn't anything to concern us this topic would never appear here on TOTV or the POA Newsletter. It does because it is material to many residents

Your suggestion to me was then hire an attorney"" is instructive in that it makes clear we are all on our own here. So what happen to those taxes, fees etc residents have been paying to the Villages government?

The benfits of so called defensive optimisim is reality. I do not claim to be right but I claim the need for right things to advanced in support of residents

I suspect you are a very decent human being and I appreciate your input as it is akin to the type of open discussion usd in my business meetings but the nature of this dispute can't be reconciled with a "trust me"attitude. Some of us need more substantive fact.

Personal Best Regards:
An intelligent and well thought out post. Thank you.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post

I suspect you are a very decent human being and I appreciate your input as it is akin to the type of open discussion usd in my business meetings but the nature of this dispute can't be reconciled with a "trust me"attitude some of us need more substanative fact.

Personal Best Regards:
He has never stated he was "the authority" on the subject. He has, however, pointed out the facts and given his opinion. You must agree he is entitled to his opinion, as you give yours.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:23 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post

O7, thank you for your input on this subject and I remember from your previous posts that you have put much time and effort into understanding the IRS issue. I agree with you that EdV has also provided some very judicious thoughts regarding the IRS investigation. At this point, we will continue to enjoy our lives here with an eye on the IRS as it continues to investigate the The Villages bond issue. It's my understanding this isn't the only community in Florida which could be impacted by the final determination.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:34 AM
Gold member
Default New twist

It is being reported today in the Leesburg Daily Commercial that Gary Morse has hired a Washington lobbyist. A quote from the story: "Morse will pay Cardenas to represent him on tax issues, according to lobbying registration forms sent to both the House and the Senate with an effective date of Nov. 27. Specifically, The Villages said its lobbying issues will be "Community Development Districts and IRS interpretations".

Daily Commercial - <p>Morse hires lobbyist</p>
Old 12-19-2012, 09:58 AM
Sage

This issue can be drawn out for many years no matter which side prevails this time. If The Villages (Morse) prevails, the IRS could appeal. If the IRS prevails, Morse will appeal.

It is a battle of lawyers. Remember that Gary Morse (The Villages) can afford the best tax attorneys. The government has government attorneys who most likely would be working private practice if they were excellent lawyers.

Remember how the government attorneys were in high profile cases like the OJ Simpson trial and the Casey Anthony trial. Even though it sure looked like slam dunks for the government (prosecution) side, the defense (high priced private practice) attorneys won acquittals for their clients. Also, remember how the Morse family got into trouble about elk hunting on their own land in Wyoming and so many posters on this forum were sure they were going to do prison time. Hey, attorneys to the rescue and the Morse family prevailed (and in my opinion, justice was served).
Old 12-19-2012, 10:15 AM
Gold member

The IRS doesn't appeal. The IRS issues its final decision based on the information provided by its agents and the taxpayer (in this case the special CDDs). If it's a tax deficiency, the taxpayer may dispute the deficiency in the Tax Court before paying any disputed amount.

There should be little doubt that this is where this case will end up. So fasten your seat belts, it's going to be a bumpy ride.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Gold member
Default T

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
This issue can be drawn out for many years no matter which side prevails this time. If The Villages (Morse) prevails, the IRS could appeal. If the IRS prevails, Morse will appeal.

It is a battle of lawyers. Remember that Gary Morse (The Villages) can afford the best tax attorneys. The government has government attorneys who most likely would be working private practice if they were excellent lawyers.

Remember how the government attorneys were in high profile cases like the OJ Simpson trial and the Casey Anthony trial. Even though it sure looked like slam dunks for the government (prosecution) side, the defense (high priced private practice) attorneys won acquittals for their clients. Also, remember how the Morse family got into trouble about elk hunting on their own land in Wyoming and so many posters on this forum were sure they were going to do prison time. Hey, attorneys to the rescue and the Morse family prevailed (and in my opinion, justice was served).
At the risk of being repititious, it is not Gary Morse who is paying the attorneys in this case. It is, in essence, us. Our amenity fees are being used to defend transactions that resulted in huge profits to the Developer. If the IRS is correct, those profits were illegimately earned at the expense of the US taxpayers, who subsidized the bonds sold to pay the Developer those profits.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
At the risk of being repititious, it is not Gary Morse who is paying the attorneys in this case. It is, in essence, us. Our amenity fees are being used to defend transactions that resulted in huge profits to the Developer. If the IRS is correct, those profits were illegimately earned at the expense of the US taxpayers, who subsidized the bonds sold to pay the Developer those profits.
It is a corporation being used to pay the attorneys. As I stated earlier, the attorneys used by Gary Morse will be the top notch tax attorneys and I believe they are a lot better than government attorneys.

The Developer has made a wonderful place for us. Do not begrudge him the profits. It sounds on one hand that some posters here are of the mindset that the Developer should have done all the developing and making such a great place and not taken a profit. Very strange.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.