Law Enforcement

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2012, 08:14 AM
Platinum member
Default Law Enforcement

I've been all over The Villages and I do not recall ever seeing any police labeled as The Villages Police. I've seen a few Sheriff vehicles, but no police security at the village squares, on the streets, in the stores, etc. Now, I'm sure they are there, so do you think that The Village Security is all plain clothes? For example if someone at a Town Square Dance gets drunk and starts a fight, I feel certain that there would be a response from law enforcement. My question is who, and how quickly? I'm just a curious boy!
Old 10-18-2012, 08:21 AM
Sage

John Law is represented by the Marion county Sherrif's office, Lady Lake police, lake County sherrif, Sumter county sherrif, Wildwood city police, and when the occasion warrants, Florida Highway Patrol. It all depends on where you are, and what's up. There is no "villages secret police".
Old 10-18-2012, 08:23 AM
Sage

I'm sure someone will fill everyone in on the ladies "Squirt Gun Posse", too......

Bill
Old 10-18-2012, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
I've been all over The Villages and I do not recall ever seeing any police labeled as The Villages Police. I've seen a few Sheriff vehicles, but no police security at the village squares, on the streets, in the stores, etc. Now, I'm sure they are there, so do you think that The Village Security is all plain clothes? For example if someone at a Town Square Dance gets drunk and starts a fight, I feel certain that there would be a response from law enforcement. My question is who, and how quickly? I'm just a curious boy!
The Spanish Springs Town Square has Lady Lake cops. Sumter Co. Sheriff would be at Lake Sumter Landing while Wildwood cops cover the new Paddock Square. They are quick when a lot of people are around. I have seen Marion County cops near the more northern stores along 27/441.

I would suppose on special occasions like political campaign visits there are undercover people out as well. They probably would not bother with a drunk though and stick with whatever detail they have.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:45 AM
Sage

For issues of a more social (or anti-social) nature, PM Gracie, and the girls squirt gun posse will rain down upon you.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:54 AM
Veteran member

I have been to brownwood three nights watching the entertainment and every night there have been two wildwood policemen .. The entertainment area is the only place there is a crowd of people so until it gets busier, i am sure that is where they will hang around.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:58 PM
Default Florida CDD Statue Sets Security Provisions

From Florida Statue 190:

190.012 Special powers; public improvements and community facilities.--

The district shall have, and the board may exercise, subject to the regulatory jurisdiction and permitting authority of all applicable governmental bodies, agencies, and special districts having authority with respect to any area included therein, any or all of the following special powers relating to public improvements and community facilities authorized by this act:

(d) Security, including, but not limited to, guardhouses, fences and gates, electronic intrusion-detection systems, and patrol cars, when authorized by proper governmental agencies; except that the district may not exercise any police power, but may contract with the appropriate local general-purpose government agencies for an increased level of such services within the district boundaries.

Plymouth (MA)
Lexington (MA)
Old 10-18-2012, 06:39 PM
Sage

no allowance for the squirt gun posse-----don't tell Gracie she's unemployed
Old 10-18-2012, 07:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I was at LSL last summer and a car stopped at the red light by the movie theater caught on fire, huge flames were coming out of the engine. Within 5 minutes a fire truck and two Sumter County police cars were there. It was a market night and a really big crowd was in the square. The band quit playing and everyone moved to the street from between City Fire and Johnny Rockets and a couple of more police cars came. Several hundred people were watching this car burn and it hadn't reached the gas tank yet. I was a little amazed how close some people got to the scene. Finally they got the fire out before the car really blew.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:49 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

As Golf-Tinker pointed out, Chapter 190 of Florida statutes allows Community Development Districts (CDDs) to perform a lot of government actions but specifically prohibits them from exercising police powers. TV does most of the 'security' part of the 190 statue through Community Watch and Special Events. We do have our own fire department but don't, and probably never will have, our own police department. The law enforcement part is done by various local agencies (city, county or state - depending on type and location within TV).
Old 10-19-2012, 07:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

TV does not have a police force!
It is covered by the local law enforcement of the county in which you live, work, shop, etc.

btk
Old 10-19-2012, 09:19 AM

Personally, I wish we had more police/sheriff presence in the Sumpter Square area. The parking situation in the small parking lot behind Red Sauce is really out of controll. People parking in areas that would hinder emergency vehicles to enter that area in case of a fire. I feel this a safety hazard and should be addressed asap.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.