Lawn Irrigation - Schedule and Source of Water

Closed Thread
Old 02-28-2023, 11:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bark4me View Post
Based on my experience, the MP rotars due use less water, however to get the same amount of irrigation to your lawn, the system has to run longer. So now you pay more in electricity. I've changed out my MP heads to Pro pop up heads.
How is electricity used in your irrigation system? In mine it runs the clock and valves. Hard to believe that is a big draw of electricity.

Last edited by Bogie Shooter; 02-28-2023 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-28-2023, 11:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,786 Times in 1,248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bark4me View Post
Based on my experience, the MP rotars due use less water, however to get the same amount of irrigation to your lawn, the system has to run longer. So now you pay more in electricity. I've changed out my MP heads to Pro pop up heads.
You may save a few penny's running the valves a shorter time but likely waste dollars of water in runoff...
Old 02-28-2023, 11:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
The I am going to do” what I want when I want “ … and that apples to my lawn watering …. Easter is coming and most of our problems will vanish… we will be left with picking on our own
The rules don’t apply to me type, interesting, most don’t claim it.
Old 03-01-2023, 09:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,181 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsJayhawkers View Post
You most likely have Scotts ProVista St. Augustine turf as many of us south of 44. ProVista is fairly new to TV and a lot of homes are seeing "root rot" from too much watering and lack of drainage. The extension office is recommending ProVista turf only receive 3/4 inch of water per week. It is a VERY low maintenance grass but it does not do well when over-watered.

The average rainfall per week in May and Oct is 3/4 inch, in June is 2 inches, July is 2 inches, August and Sept is 1 1/4 inch. If this grass does not do well with over 3/4 inch a week you are in big trouble during our several months of rainy season and certainly would not be running your irrigation for your lawn at all those months.

Scott's [the grass company] says this about watering:

You should water your Scotts® ProVista™ turf in the same way you would for the relevant conventional varieties (e.g., St. Augustinegrass Floratam and Kentucky Bluegrass)Drought tolerance and water usage have not yet been fully tested for Scotts® ProVista™.

Given that ® ProVista™ was bred to deliver improved plant efficiency, we are actively testing the turf to quantify drought tolerance and reduced water usage.

I would have thought Scott would have established the water need of the grass it was selling before it was marketed. Interestingly it does say that during the summer this grass needs to be cut only 1/2 as often as other grass types and less fertilizer. That should save you on mowing costs as you don't need to have it done weekly.

Scotts® ProVista™ was developed to require half the mowing of the relevant, conventional turf varieties (e.g., St. Augustinegrass Floratam and Kentucky Bluegrass).

Further, given its dense and slow growth, Scotts® ProVista™ has a deep, green color, thrives in both sun and shade, and requires less fertilizer to stay healthy and green
Old 03-01-2023, 10:27 AM
Sage

Scotts(R) ProVista™–The Right Way to Water Sod

Aim to water 1½ inches per week. While your sod is actively growing you can either water ¾ of an inch twice a week, or the full 1½ inches once a week. If you receive that much in rainfall one week, plan to turn off your automatic sprinkler system during that time. Of course, always follow any guidelines for watering responsibly if your area is in a drought cycle.

And:

Watering a ProVista Lawn: 3 Big Tips

During the hottest summer months, water your lawn at least twice per week. Provide ¾” of water during each watering session, penetrating deeply and spread evenly out across the entire lawn. From late fall to early spring, watering may only be required once per week, in the same ¾” amount. Avoid watering during a period of rain or immediately after applying fertilizer.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	47C14232-3476-4361-BA5F-AEACD606607F.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	97151  

Last edited by Altavia; 03-01-2023 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-01-2023, 02:04 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,760 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
The I am going to do” what I want when I want “ … and that apples to my lawn watering …. Easter is coming and most of our problems will vanish… we will be left with picking on our own
LOL, we know there will be PLENTY of that. Kind of a pattern to those who never miss an opportunity to be sarcastic, even cruel and insulting, to an unsuspecting person asking a genuine question. People ? What ever happened to "mamma said if you don't have something nice, or kind, to say, don't say anything at all" ...LOL !

One more comment, Easter is the first noticeable change in crowds and traffic, but May always seems to be THE marker many of us live for. It always brings mixed emotions, we really miss our friends who only spend winters here in their Florida house, and we shudder to think what the expenses here would be if everyone ONLY paid amenity fees in the months they actually occupied their villages vacation home... so, it's a "mixed bag" as they say. But I LOVE those wonderful months when things are so calm, even fewer "intoxicated people behaving badly, and the amount of GLASS and various car parts strewn at every intersection and round about, is so obviously LOWER !

Done anyone know the average total population of 100% full time, versus the average total population (Air B&B, Property of the Villages, and private rentals included) in months like Jan, Feb, and March ? The observable changes are DRAMATIC !
Old 03-01-2023, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
You may save a few penny's running the valves a shorter time but likely waste dollars of water in runoff...
Have two start times on your watering days. For example, I start at 4:00 AM, then I run another program to start at 7:00 AM. You won’t get any run off as the water has time to be absorbed.

I’d also recommend ( if your not doing it already) measuring each zones output (coffee cup method).
Old 03-01-2023, 04:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondboy View Post
Have two start times on your watering days. For example, I start at 4:00 AM, then I run another program to start at 7:00 AM. You won’t get any run off as the water has time to be absorbed.

I’d also recommend ( if your not doing it already) measuring each zones output (coffee cup method).
Yep, very easy to do with one of the wifi controllers.
Old 03-01-2023, 05:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,022 Times in 1,748 Posts

Life is too short for me to micromanage the lawn. I have a rain gauge on the roof so when there is enough rain the irrigation doesn’t turn on. The rest of the time I look at the grass when I remember. If it’s brown I up the timing if it’s soggy I reduce the time. But I have xoysia, it came with the house. The bushes and plants let me know if I should adjust the sprinkler heads.
Old 03-01-2023, 06:56 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
How is electricity used in your irrigation system? In mine it runs the clock and valves. Hard to believe that is a big draw of electricity.
Had same thoughts. Appears writer might have thought they have a well/pump. Boxes are low voltage and probably use 12 volts and run 24/7
Closed Thread

Tags
water, irrigation, villages, ponds, retention

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.