Lawn service payment in advance?

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Old 05-01-2021, 07:05 AM

read the post below about " Good Neighbor" lawn svc scamming people. Used to be Service Smart, but changed names several times to escape prosecution. DO NOT EVER pay in advance, I don't care what anyone says on here. They have just been lucky so far. I like to sleep at night.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:07 AM

While we were up north for the summer our lawn cutting person billed us at the end of each month but failed to show up to mow the lawn. Neighbors were sending us pictures of our long grass.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:16 AM

I am billed at the end of the month following a month a grass cutting.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgjudge View Post
Hi folks!

I just engaged a lawn service and he says he doesn't bill clients - but to just send the check for the month to his P.O. Box in advance. I thought this was odd as I used to having services rendered, being billed, and then paying for them. Is this payment arrangement peculiar to you, or is the customary in TV?

This person is being used by 2 different neighbors, so I reached out to him myself.
Find another lawn service. There are a lot of reputable companies that do no require payment up front.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:45 AM
Default Mowing

May I ask who your mower is?
Old 05-01-2021, 07:46 AM

May I ask who your mower is?
Old 05-01-2021, 07:49 AM

Check with the neighbors
Old 05-01-2021, 07:58 AM

We learned the hard way. Used a company for years and paid monthly in advance. Then he offered a discount for paying 3 months in advance. Within a few payments he took off. 3 months paid with no service. He was hired by half the homeowners on our street. We reported him to Crimes Against Seniors. Never found.
Now we pay after services rendered.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:59 AM
Platinum member

The person mowing our yard has been doing it for the seven years we have owned the house and a couple of years before we purchased. I have him set up as a monthly payment. It has been so long I don’t know if it is prepayment or in arrears. Either way if I change services tomorrow I am only out a few bucks.

In what can be a long termed arrangement, You have to show some trust sometimes. If it is a one time thing, for sure, pay after the work is completed.
Old 05-01-2021, 08:02 AM
Default A reputable company will not require advanced payment

I have learned my lesson not to pay for lawn service in advance especially for the year. A reputable company will not require you to do so. They may give you a discount but I would still not recommend. I have also used a company that 'does it all'. That didn't work out either. You may pay a little more when paying by the month but you will be glad you did.
Old 05-01-2021, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,080 Times in 2,311 Posts

We hired Massey for a few services and get a discount for paying in advance.

For our lawn and weed control we pay the guy the end of each month. Little guy we are happy with but no reason to pay in advance.
Old 05-01-2021, 08:26 AM

We pay 3 months in advance and have never had a problem.
Old 05-01-2021, 08:27 AM

We've been paying a month in advance to the same guy for 12 years...

Like the other guy said its 75 dollars.... not hundreds
Old 05-01-2021, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Hi folks!

I just engaged a lawn service and he says he doesn't bill clients - but to just send the check for the month to his P.O. Box in advance. I thought this was odd as I used to having services rendered, being billed, and then paying for them. Is this payment arrangement peculiar to you, or is the customary in TV?

This person is being used by 2 different neighbors, so I reached out to him myself.
I have it set up with my bank to send my lawn service a check for each month about mid-month. So half my mowing is paid in advance, half in arrears. I have done this for years.
Old 05-01-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Hi folks!

Personally, I wouldn’t do it again. I did it once. He lasted 4 months. He was going through a divorce, didn’t come. I felt bad for his situation, but……I had already paid him. I had to call HIM and beg him to come. Why should I have to beg anyone to take my money? If you decide to try out this person, pay by the month. When things aren’t going well….find someone who bills you.

Tags
service, lawn, advance, payment, reached

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.