Lawn service payment in advance?

Closed Thread
Old 05-01-2021, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

I leave cash under the mat once a month and when I’m away I pay for how long I am away . I think in all the years I’ve had lawn services I’ve lost out 2 or 3 months . I think most of these guys are honest some just fall behind and then they take off . I always give these guys a couple of hundred at Christmas most aren’t getting rich and I sometimes ask them for a little help, as far as the major pest and lawn companies I always pay them up front just like any other bill . I also think these guys would much prefer cash then any other type payment
Old 05-01-2021, 09:14 AM

We do pay in advance for our lawn service which we have had for 3 years and no problems!!! If they come recommended you should feel more comfortable!
Old 05-01-2021, 09:21 AM

We use Tony Landscaping. Carlos is professional, reasonable, timely and provides an excellent service. He serves my next door neighbor, my sister who is around the corner and my niece who is in St. James. I can’t say enough about him. His price is great! I pay as needed for bushes trees etc. He is just a hard working small business. I have even thought of backing my recommendation with a guarantee to reimburse for the first month if he doesnt do a good job as I hope he grows his business. I am a little afraid of someone taking advantage of something like that. I would suggest talking to Carlos and feel free to tell him i recommended him. His number is 352-470-2856. Any questions don’t hesitate to contact me.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:34 AM

We have paid Massey Services in advance, and it has worked. We also pay our lawn cutting service in advance on a monthly basis. No problems there either. I relied on
our neighbor, who vouched for them.
Old 05-01-2021, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,019 Times in 1,745 Posts

Depends on which service you use. I use the same person that 3 of my neighbors use. I pay one year in advance and our lawns are always cut at the same time, service is reliable. But they only work in select areas to make it worth their while.
Old 05-01-2021, 10:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,730 Times in 5,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Depends on which service you use. I use the same person that 3 of my neighbors use. I pay one year in advance and our lawns are always cut at the same time, service is reliable. But they only work in select areas to make it worth their while.
But, why does he need to be paid a year in advance? When I worked, I never got paid until after the end of the pay period. That is the way most people are paid for the work they do.
Old 05-01-2021, 11:00 AM

Isoms I use, they are great. Emails my invoice beginning of each month and I have the whole month to pay. I pay right away though. They do a great job and clean up.
Old 05-01-2021, 11:02 AM
Sage

We pay the lawn service three months in advance. They email the bill. They do seven adjoining (or across the street) yards with push mowers. Hasn't been a problem and, as others said, it is not a big gamble. But I wouldn't go beyond three months in advance.
Old 05-01-2021, 12:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgjudge View Post
Hi folks!

I just engaged a lawn service and he says he doesn't bill clients - but to just send the check for the month to his P.O. Box in advance. I thought this was odd as I used to having services rendered, being billed, and then paying for them. Is this payment arrangement peculiar to you, or is the customary in TV?

This person is being used by 2 different neighbors, so I reached out to him myself.
The posts seem to have evolved off the original question. We have been in the villages for 8 going on 9 years. We have always paid the last week of the previous month for the following month. So essentially they are one month ahead. Paid in advance.

Reliable? In eight years, the first guy decided he didn't want to do it anymore. He recommended a nice young guy all went smooth. After a couple of years he just disappeared. He, as we paid in advance STOLE three weeks from us. We hired another guy, recommended by neighbors. Family issues? He just stopped coming. He too was a nice guy. We liked him. Work quality not as good as the first two but, good enough for me. I phoned him and he gave us a refund. We now have a forth guy in eight or nine years. Also a nice guy. Work quality probably the worst yet.

It may not sound like it but I am an easy customer. Stuff left behind, I just rake it up and say nothing.

I do the weeding. The pruning. The chemistry-fertilizer-fungicide-insecticide. This is the first time in my life that I hired someone to edge and mow. Perhaps, it is time to start that again.
Old 05-01-2021, 12:25 PM

Had a bad experience with paying up front for lawn services. Myself and a few neighbors had the same person for a few years. Always paid 3 months in advance for services, one day at the start of the payment cycle he collected everyone’s money and was never heard from again. New service invoices mid way of the 3months, much better!
Old 05-01-2021, 12:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
But, why does he need to be paid a year in advance? When I worked, I never got paid until after the end of the pay period. That is the way most people are paid for the work they do.
My neighbors and the homeowner I bought from all used his system for years, I did the same as everyone else. So far it has worked out just fine. I just continued the previous contract.
Old 05-01-2021, 01:41 PM
Veteran member

Run, don't walk away from this guy. Never pay in advance!
Old 05-01-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgjudge View Post
Hi folks!

I just engaged a lawn service and he says he doesn't bill clients - but to just send the check for the month to his P.O. Box in advance. I thought this was odd as I used to having services rendered, being billed, and then paying for them. Is this payment arrangement peculiar to you, or is the customary in TV?

This person is being used by 2 different neighbors, so I reached out to him myself.
My previous lawn guy fired me because I had the gall to ask for an invoice so I knew when and how much to pay!
Old 05-01-2021, 03:18 PM
Sage

Well, my lawn person is a vet, and if he takes off with a year’s worth of lawn mowing money... I know, I know, but I’d have given it to him anyways. As I said before, I don’t like property tax increases that benefit others because that is enforced charity, but this guy I know and he seems worth it. That being said I am not recommending my way to other people.
Old 05-01-2021, 03:30 PM

Paying in advance. Hmmm... I did that once with a roofing contractor. I learned my lesson - NEVER PAY IN ADVANCE!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
service, lawn, advance, payment, reached

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.