Leave refrigerator on or off?

Closed Thread
Old 04-17-2021, 09:38 AM

If you decide to leave the refrigerator turned on, and you turn the main water valve to the house off, you should be aware that if your ice maker uses an electronic ice level detector, (no wire over the ice) It is important the electronic switch is in the OFF position. The switch usually located next to the ice bin. Leaving the ice maker switch on with no water flowing to it, could destroy the ice maker. Your owner's manual should discuss this information.

Last edited by worahm; 04-17-2021 at 09:38 AM. Reason: spell check
Old 04-17-2021, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,763 Times in 5,266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Thanks for the link. Although, it is not from the source mentioned in Post No. 35.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:57 AM

fridge off, door open, T-stat set to 82, hot water circuit breaker off
Old 04-17-2021, 11:00 AM

The reference to document FCS3154 Closing Your Seasonal Home, to preparing a house for extended vacation or northern travel is very complete. It is for Floridians, so the info is meant for us locals.
Never ask people on this forum what to do because most speak out of ignorance or laziness and don’t bother to read things like this , the manuals, or knowledgable professional technicians.
The key highlights:
Give away food and shut down refrigerator. The comments about having stuff ready when they arrive, really?
Set A/C to recommended setting in the above reference. DO NOT SHUT OFF.
Turn off water heater at breaker. Unnecessary use of electricity.
Turn off water at entrance to house. Anything that leaks will just leave a few drops and will not siphon out the system. All our water is supplied from underneath and won’t be able to be siphoned.
Unplug anything that can get fried in case there is a surge. [SECO can install a whole house surge protector]. Unplug all other low voltage items that can get fried because of the cable connections. The whole house surge protector doesn’t protect that. Just turning off electrical equipment doesn’t mean it is protected. Experience says a surge can jump a switch and whack what is on the other side, such as a microwave oven. It can turn it on and let it run for months.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,763 Times in 5,266 Posts

FYI, my Whirlpool refrigerator manual doesn't recommend turning off the refrigerator. It says that you can turn it off or leave it on, whichever you prefer. If you turn it off, you may save about 5 dollars per month in electricity. For that minimal cost, I would prefer to leave it on.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:40 PM

Why fill with water bottles?
Old 04-17-2021, 12:57 PM

Leave it off.
I can turn mine off at the breaker box or you can just unplug.
Empty and clean refrigerator, leave doors open for both refrigerator and freezer.
I also turn breaker off for hot water heater and any other appliances not going to be in use and unplug anything else not being used.
No sense in paying for electricity you're not using.
If I'm going to be gone for a couple months in winter, I turn AC off at breaker, too. No issues.
Wouldn't turn AC off if I traveled any other time of year.
Old 04-17-2021, 01:56 PM

We turn ours to power saver, empty and turn off the ice maker. We set our A/C to 82.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:29 PM

90% of the time this is best suggestion! Turn it to clean then turn off ice maker. Store as many items in freezer that will freeze and not stress freezer to cool empty space. Turn refrigerator temp up after emptying and cleaning. Running allows oils to lubricate compressor. Shorter periods away might change how you prep refrigerator. Bob's House Watch Service.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:41 PM

90% of the time this is best suggestion! Turn it to clean then turn off ice maker. Store as many items in freezer that will freeze, such as water bottles or containers of water, and not stress freezer to cool empty space. Turn refrigerator temp up after emptying and cleaning. Running allows oils to lubricate compressor. Shorter periods away might change how you prep refrigerator. Bob's House Watch Service.

Last edited by rlsjks1987@gmail.com; 04-17-2021 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,311 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsjks1987@gmail.com View Post
90% of the time this is best suggestion! Turn it to clean then turn off ice maker. Store as many items in freezer that will freeze and not stress freezer to cool empty space. Turn refrigerator temp up after emptying and cleaning. Running allows oils to lubricate compressor. Shorter periods away might change how you prep refrigerator. Bob's House Watch Service.
I disagree with this. If you want to leave it on then remove all perishable food from the freezer. If fridge fails or loss of power for extended period of time (like after a hurricane) the food will thaw. It will leak and ruin the insulation and you will have the worst stench imaginable. I also don't subscribe to the lubricate the compressor theory. How long was it not plugged in after it was manufactured and someone purchased it. That could be a couple years in some cases. I have had a vacation home for forty years and unplug the fridge every winter. Never lost one yet due to lack of compressor lubrication. Leaving it on also subjects you to brownouts which is more likely to kill a compressor. Again don't forget we live where there are hurricanes = loss of power.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,963 Times in 2,470 Posts

It it was me I would empty and turn it off leaving door open. Why let it set there and run for nothing. Plus best way to get good defrost. Way build refrigerator ‘s now day’s you’re running on borrowed time anyway. Now it was the old entry level cheap ones with no ice or water in door then who cares?
Old 04-17-2021, 02:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,963 Times in 2,470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
I disagree with this. If you want to leave it on then remove all perishable food from the freezer. If fridge fails or loss of power for extended period of time (like after a hurricane) the food will thaw. It will leak and ruin the insulation and you will have the worst stench imaginable. I also don't subscribe to the lubricate the compressor theory. How long was it not plugged in after it was manufactured and someone purchased it. That could be a couple years in some cases. I have had a vacation home for forty years and unplug the fridge every winter. Never lost one yet due to lack of compressor lubrication. Leaving it on also subjects you to brownouts which is more likely to kill a compressor. Again don't forget we live where there are hurricanes = loss of power.
I agree, why let is set there and run for months?

Lub compressor theory? only if you lay it down, you have let it stand up so oil will run back where it supposed be before you fire it back up.
Old 04-17-2021, 03:10 PM

I misquoted the source. It is University Of Florida IFAS Extension. Http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu. I have followed their recommendations for 22 years as a snowbird and never had a problem yet.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:58 PM

On, with A/C on 82, water and water heater turned off.
Closed Thread

Tags
leave, refrigerator, receiving, information, conflicting

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.