Leaving TV in disgust

Closed Thread
Old 04-04-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
must be more than whats being said. there are top shelf facilities all within an
afternoon drive.
Four months ago a friend of mine went to doctor in the Villages for a bladder problem. Doctor told him it was a bladder infection. He knew it was more. Went to Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville. Long story short. He was operated on yesterday for Bladder and Prostrate cancer. All removed and internal bladder installed. He is now recouperating.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:14 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
I've been going to endocrinologist, Dr Hamilton Fish, for about 10 years for my thyroid. He's located on Radio Road in Leesburg right across from the Lake Square Mall, which is about 20 miles from TV.
I also go to Dr. Fish ! He sure knows his business !
Old 04-04-2012, 06:19 PM
Sage

Barb,
I am saddened about your medical needs and hope you get better treatment and results back in Mass. I hope too that you have an excellent network of loving support from family and friends back home. Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Hugs,
P
Old 04-04-2012, 06:51 PM

There is a community health center clinic in Leesburg that is terrific. the care is high quality and affordable. It is not fancy but the the quality is superb
Old 04-04-2012, 07:21 PM
Veteran member

Barb, I'm so sorry to hear you are having problems getting the good health care. It is sad to know that you love TV but are feeling forced to make a move back north just to get the necessary health care you need.

I'm not in TV yet, but finding health care is a concern of mine too. Not living there yet makes it difficult for me to know whether or not I will be able to find physicians that I trust and feel comfortable with. I've heard good and bad.

I agree with others who have recommended Shands, Mayo, and others, though I know it is not easy for some to make the drive to those. We have traveled hours to use those facilities in the past and wouldn't hesitate to do so when we move to TV.

Ideally, I hope the health care in TV area will continue to improve so that it doesn't have to be a concern. Wouldn't that be wonderful!
Old 04-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Sage

I'm sorry you are leaving, I know how l much you love The Villages. I wish you luck.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
I also go to Dr. Fish ! He sure knows his business !
Another vote for Dr. Hamilton Fish for endocrinology.

"Pturner

Barb,
I am saddened about your medical needs and hope you get better treatment and results back in Mass. I hope too that you have an excellent network of loving support from family and friends back home. Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Hugs,
P quote"

I second the thought and triple the hugs.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:57 PM

I will be a full time resident in TV in two weeks after completing 16 years as a RN working for USF in cardiovascular medicine. The Doctors are wonderful there,mainly because it is a teaching facility and busy research center . It is worth the drive and worth waiting longer in a waiting room to get the best and the brightest.No where is perfect but I will drive into Tampa for any medical appoinments until I can not drive anymore. It will be interesting to see the talent? USF Health brings into TV.Sorry some are leaving in advance to them arriving...Good luck to them in the cold north..
Old 04-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Platinum member

Well, at least you'll be back in Boston in time for Opening Day ... or, will you?
Old 04-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Gold member
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsyarbie View Post
I will be a full time resident in TV in two weeks after completing 16 years as a RN working for USF in cardiovascular medicine. The Doctors are wonderful there,mainly because it is a teaching facility and busy research center . It is worth the drive and worth waiting longer in a waiting room to get the best and the brightest.No where is perfect but I will drive into Tampa for any medical appoinments until I can not drive anymore. It will be interesting to see the talent? USF Health brings into TV.Sorry some are leaving in advance to them arriving...Good luck to them in the cold north..
One of our concerns moving here. Good to hear about USF in Tampa. I would think that with TV population we would see more out clinics and better Dr's come to practice? I will need a good Endocrinologists.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:33 PM
Dancing Thyme

Barb,,, I'm so sorry you're having to resort to this. I know you were having problems with medical care a while back but I thought you were feeling more confident about your care lately. I will miss you and Bill and I do hope you will keep in touch with us. Love you guys very much and wish you well.
Kath

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 04-04-2012, 08:36 PM

Just my opinion but I dont think its fair to blame The Villages for your choice of doctors and medical care. We are free to change to whatever facilities and doctors we choose. I have had good and bad doctors in Fargo,ND Tallahassee ,Fl and here in Atlanta my doctor is known as Dr. Hollywood and is a joke but I wont be changing as we will be in The Villages by fall. I am sure there are good doctors in the area or else there is over 100,000 people in trouble.I have been in the Dental Field for 35 years and I can tell you stories about bad dentists from the North and South. Sometimes its easier to reminisce about back home as being better but not always true in present day realities as we get older. Best wishes to you and hope it all works our for you.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuys View Post
One of our concerns moving here. Good to hear about USF in Tampa. I would think that with TV population we would see more out clinics and better Dr's come to practice? I will need a good Endocrinologists.
No problem. Dr. Fish in Leesburg !
Old 04-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Barb,
I am saddened about your medical needs and hope you get better treatment and results back in Mass. I hope too that you have an excellent network of loving support from family and friends back home. Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing. Hugs, P
I've known Barb and her husband since 2007. She was one of the original "founding members" of TOTV. She is a very sensible and focused woman.

Barb, your post saddens me. I am so sorry to see you go, and I echo Pturner's thoughts. I wish you happiness and success in your quest for better medical care. As we all go through our golden years, good medical care becomes of paramount importance. Best of luck to you both.

Love Bare
Old 04-04-2012, 09:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Exclamation Don't Understand

I don't understand the need to relocate for your desired medical attention. I believe we have a great "Urgent Care" at Lake Sumter, we have teriffic facilities at Mayo in Jacksonville, Moffitt in Tampa and if there are serious Cancer problems MD Anderson in Houston. Of course there is Lahey Clinic in Arlington, Mass but it is not any better than Mayo or Moffitt. Have spent 4 months for treatments at Lahey, Have been to Mayo in Jacksonville to compare and they are the same. Just used Moffitt and it was great with the state of the art patient care. Honestly, not that impressed with MD Anderson although it has consistently been rated #1 for Cancer? Also, have been with
relatives treated at Sloan Kettering. Since the main ones are teaching hospitals there is little difference between them.
Back to The Villages. For general medical maintenance there are good Dr's in The Villages. If there are serious problems I am not sure which of the major
hospitals/Dr's I would chose regardless where I lived. I would not move to a location to be near a Dr. since if there are serious problems I would go to the best regardless where they were located. Dr Tran is very good for skin cancer. Have used some of the Dr's for general review but when one mentions a potential more serious problem have/willl go to the best for diagonisis, treatment. Had been impressed with Mayo and was truly surprised to see how good Moffitt was in Tampa. After all of the personal family medical needs I have concluded the Dr's in The Villages are, in the main able to handle the initial medical review. If there are serious concerns then regardless where you live it is only right to go to the best in the field. What is interesting is The Villages are closer to a number of major medical locations and a great central point.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.