Leesburg man loses hand while fishing

Old 03-14-2024, 12:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondboy View Post
I’m talking common sense laws not a total ban. Besides, guns meant to kill, cars are meant to be driven. And yes, accidents do happen, the deaths are not on purpose.
This sounds like the start of a long discussion that deserves its own thread.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-14-2024, 01:16 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
i feel for this guy, really, but who in their right mind fishes on the edge of a pond in Fl>? i would expect exactly that. poor gator was in his home, doing what gators do
Who ? In my opinion (as a Florida native who retired in Florida), I think MANY people in their right mind have no idea, or a very vague idea they may have picked up from movies (?) about exactly what danger an alligator poses to people and animals. If folks come from a midwest state, or plains, northern, etc. where there are no alligators, they have no idea, just as I would have no idea of the dangers posed by a moose, or buffalo (since the only ones I've ever been around were the ones raised by the Villages at one time...and, apparently deemed more dangerous than the alligators since many people sat their grandchildren ON the rails of the herd's pastures... or, perhaps the interest in and price of buffalo meat dropped. But either way, they disappeared. I believe the Florida wildlife department will still remove alligators if reported in place like the Villages, but perhaps no longer since I certainly see my share of them when playing golf. I don't like to be a "chicken little the sky is falling", but, I would hope people would let new comers know it is truly not a good idea to go looking for a ball you think landed very close to the edge of a large pond; DEFINITELY not along the right edge of #8 on Heron !
Old 03-14-2024, 01:28 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
There is a pond near our post office. I have seen gators and people fishing. The Villages should ban fishing!
Perhaps, but that would also open up quite a Pandora's Box. Among the things considered by The Villages administration might be, and not saying the things on this list are valid, but

1. Reluctant to advertise any hobby or leisure activity not encouraged, after all, many do not golf ?

2. Don't want to showcase any "dangers", even though they might exist ?

3. Time and expense incurred in trying to stop retired fishing enthusiasts from fishing near their own homes ?

4. IF it is banned, should not walking dogs on trails that include walking near water also be banned since that is a MAJOR attraction for gators ?

Just some random thoughts as to why The Villages might not do that.
Old 03-14-2024, 01:39 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Or just put up no fishing signs, problem solved.
& put up signs saying 'no walking near the pond' too!

On second thought, just don't go outside at all!!! Problem solved!
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Alligator at the door.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	103320  
Old 03-14-2024, 01:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

I saw that story on the CBS National news a few evenings ago.
Old 03-14-2024, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post

On second thought, just don't go outside at all!!! Problem solved!
He's been trying to contact you about your cars' warranty.
Old 03-14-2024, 02:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Who ? In my opinion (as a Florida native who retired in Florida), I think MANY people in their right mind have no idea, or a very vague idea they may have picked up from movies (?) about exactly what danger an alligator poses to people and animals. If folks come from a midwest state, or plains, northern, etc. where there are no alligators, they have no idea, just as I would have no idea of the dangers posed by a moose, or buffalo (since the only ones I've ever been around were the ones raised by the Villages at one time...and, apparently deemed more dangerous than the alligators since many people sat their grandchildren ON the rails of the herd's pastures... or, perhaps the interest in and price of buffalo meat dropped. But either way, they disappeared. I believe the Florida wildlife department will still remove alligators if reported in place like the Villages, but perhaps no longer since I certainly see my share of them when playing golf. I don't like to be a "chicken little the sky is falling", but, I would hope people would let new comers know it is truly not a good idea to go looking for a ball you think landed very close to the edge of a large pond; DEFINITELY not along the right edge of #8 on Heron !
Then, as a Florida native, you know it was highly unlikely this gator would have attacked this man if he didn't have a fish in his hand. Heck, I can make the case he didn't attack the man at all, he was grabbing the fish for a snack and the man's arm got in the way. Only the very largest gators will possibly attack a full grown man unless he is provoked, feeding him, or during mating/nesting season.
Old 03-14-2024, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Better to remove people who are worried about alligators. If you don't like snow, don't move to New Hampshire. Bothered by earthquakes? Stay out of California. Terrified by the movie Twister? No Kansas for you. Feel Florida is unsafe with all the alligators? There are a lot of states who will be glad to have you.
When you ban tourists, visiting family, and then suggest they go somewhere else, then come talk to me about moving away.

Otherwise, moving is not a solution.
Old 03-14-2024, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Over 6,000 pedestrians are killed each year. Removing vehicles from roadways would prevent those 6,000 deaths of which some were children.

An average of 28 people are killed by lightning each year. Enforcing a 100% curfew during a lightning storm could prevent those 28 deaths of which some were children

If we are going to demand 100% safety we are going to be forced to make some difficult choices. On the other hand, if we are willing to make tradeoffs, work to improve safety, and demand some level of personal responsibility then we can have our cake and usually get to eat some of it too.
Go solve those other problems. But that is off topic here. Don't hijack another thread.
Old 03-14-2024, 02:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maker View Post
When you ban tourists, visiting family, and then suggest they go somewhere else, then come talk to me about moving away.

Otherwise, moving is not a solution.
If you move then your visiting family will be visiting elsewhere and you can feel they are safe.

As for tourists, those that visit me like to see the alligators. I can’t speak for any others and suggest they may not appreciate you speaking for them either.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-14-2024, 02:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maker View Post
Go solve those other problems. But that is off topic here. Don't hijack another thread.
There is nothing to be solved.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-14-2024, 02:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
If you move then your visiting family will be visiting elsewhere and you can feel they are safe.

As for tourists, those that visit me like to see the alligators. I can’t speak for any others and suggest they may not appreciate you speaking for them either.
I recall some Japanese tourists at John Chestnut Park in Palm Harbor taking pictures of one another while standing a foot if that from a rather good sized gator. John Chestnut Park borders Lake Tarpon which has a very large number of alligators.
Old 03-14-2024, 02:56 PM

I'm far more afraid of 150,000 elderly and possibly drunk folks on golf carts than I am of alligators. I can steer clear of the alligators but dodging the old codgers is tough.
Old 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoySmith View Post
I'm far more afraid of 150,000 elderly and possibly drunk folks on golf carts than I am of alligators. I can steer clear of the alligators but dodging the old codgers is tough.
Good Point LeRoy.
Old 03-14-2024, 03:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
There is a pond near our post office. I have seen gators and people fishing. The Villages should ban fishing!
I seen gators on golf courses. Villages should ban golfing.

Tags
leesburg, hand, man, priest, fish

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.