Legal advice

Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2015, 08:34 AM
Default Legal advice

I am a 5 year full time resident of the villages.
My son, in new york, and i need legal advice / help. My son was disabled while performing his job related duties. The corporate offices have taken his business away from him for non performance. We cannot compete with the corporate dollars for a legal fight. Any assistance on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated. Please respond to......
jimlupo77@yahoo.com
Old 03-24-2015, 09:05 AM
Sage

Is there a Legal Aid office in the community or nearby.? It would be worth a call to them to see if they might assist.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMLUPO77 View Post
I am a 5 year full time resident of the villages.
My son, in new york, and i need legal advice / help. My son was disabled while performing his job related duties. The corporate offices have taken his business away from him for non performance. We cannot compete with the corporate dollars for a legal fight. Any assistance on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated. Please respond to......
jimlupo77@yahoo.com
Can he apply for Workman's Compensation?
Old 03-24-2015, 10:23 AM

Yes. But that does not address the value of the business he is losing.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:32 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Check to see if there are law school clinics near him. Great way to get good legal advice and help at discounted rates.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-24-2015, 04:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

From the local Fl TV seems to be a lot of lawyers that will take accident cases on a contingency basis. I assume the same is true of NY.You could call the NY bar and ask for help in locating several firms to interview.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:01 AM

Thank you . I will contact local law schools on long island. To be honest............. I was hoping to get the attention of a retired lawyer living here in the villages, who has time on his/her hands, who could guide me through the process.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:37 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMLUPO77 View Post
Thank you . I will contact local law schools on long island. To be honest............. I was hoping to get the attention of a retired lawyer living here in the villages, who has time on his/her hands, who could guide me through the process.
The problem with getting a local attorney is they may not know NY laws. It sounds like a lot of issues in this case. You're talking workers' comp, employment law, contract law and possibly business litigation for your son's business. Hope you can find someone to help.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-25-2015, 08:15 PM
Sage

You have not provided much information to work with. I assume your son was not an employee and this is a franchise agreement in which contract provides for dissolution of agreement based on franchisee lack of performance? If so, your best hope might be a temporary restraining order (would require filing in any state they did business in) claiming that the business must be halted until dispute can be settled by arbitration. If he can't afford an attorney to get that, then go after the company the way the government would: tax issues! Does your son have any knowledge of earnings from another state that were not disclosed in their tax filings? Any sales tax not paid on supplies purchased on the internet? If so, call them up and let them know you are the one reporting them to the state tax departments, wish them luck and ask them to remove you from their Christmas card list!

I think the question needs to be asked; If your son is unable to perform successfully as a franchisee, what would you hope to gain from any of this fight?
Old 04-06-2015, 01:32 PM

You are correct.they have taken the route because of lack of performance. Due to my son's injury , our only course of action was to sell the route. In the interm ( 8 months) the distributor has been operating the route with 100% of the profits. The issue is when we requested information ( production numbers) necessary to supply to a purchaser. The distributor started the dissolution process. He blocked me from selling the route.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.