Legal Help for roof insurance claim rejection

Old 03-12-2024, 07:13 PM
Platinum member

One thing you might run into is the “three tab vs four tab” shingles. Apparently the building codes now require four tab shingles. If you have an older roof with three tab shingles it cannot be repaired. I agree with the other responders, it sounds like you have an a roof that has reached the end of its life span.The insurance company will not pay and you will be hard press to find a company that will insure you with the current condition of your roof.
Old 03-12-2024, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by len84pa View Post
I am currently insured with Farmers, which to my understanding is leaving the Florida area. I had 3 different roofing companies inspect my roof and they all indicated my roof needed replaced because of lifted shingles, creased shingles, loss of "grit" and end tabs broken .

The adjuster from Farmers inspected the roof and indicated that with the exception of a few shingles being creased (20) the roof was in good shape.

I have absolutly no leverage since Farmers is leaving FL and my policy expires in August 2024.

I'm asking for advice, legal help, to appeal the claim rejection with Farmers.
If your roof is under 10 years old, it could be a manufacturers issue. In that case, your roof is still under warranty. Insurance won’t cover it, but the manufacturer will on a prorated basis. You will have to pay part of it and the manufacturer will pay the other. Have a couple of reputable roofing companies give you estimates for total cost. Submit the findings to the manufacturer.
Old 03-12-2024, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
///
Exactly!
Old 03-12-2024, 08:17 PM

Quote:
///
\\\\\
Old 03-12-2024, 08:48 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

If you believe that your roof is covered by the terms of your policy and the weight of the evidence supports this but Farmers is, in effect, blowing you off then you should complain to the state board of insurance.

They will not ignore an inquiry from them.

I have done this myself, it does keep insurors in check.

If, however, you are not the OP and you think you know more about this guy's roof than he does you are wasting your time posting a reply.
Old 03-12-2024, 10:04 PM
Thanked 1,120 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:
I am currently insured with Farmers, which to my understanding is leaving the Florida area. I had 3 different roofing companies inspect my roof and they all indicated my roof needed replaced because of lifted shingles, creased shingles, loss of "grit" and end tabs broken .

The adjuster from Farmers inspected the roof and indicated that with the exception of a few shingles being creased (20) the roof was in good shape.

I have absolutly no leverage since Farmers is leaving FL and my policy expires in August 2024.

I have a car that needs replaced but I don't think my insurance company will buy me a new one. Of course some roofing companies told you your roof should be replaced (and you believe them?)
Old 03-13-2024, 04:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Agree with the above comments, your home insurance does NOT cover normal wear and tear on a roof, so you are out of luck. This is where the whole insurance scam started, homeowners were tricked into signing 'assignment of benefits' forms, and then the "roofing companies" sued the insurance companies to get a new roof. You can start looking for a new insurer and see if they agree with roof being in good shape (with minor repairs), then go with them and pay for the repairs. If none of the insurance companies will cover you, then you will need to replace the roof at your cost.
Amen. Unscrupulous roofing companies rely on greedy homeowners looking for a free ride to perpetrate these insurance scams.
Old 03-13-2024, 04:25 AM
Default Roof

Quote:

Try cohen law group
Old 03-13-2024, 05:08 AM
Veteran member

Ien....I also have Farmers and they also said I only need some shingles replaced. I hired Secure Roofing and they got Farmers to pay for a new roof ( done in January). It took a good 5 months for Secured and their arbitration department to get it approved. I only had to pay my deductible. My policy expires July 1. Excellent job by Secured.
Old 03-13-2024, 06:29 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Roof Worn

If the shingles bent, the roof has reached its end of life. The shingles aren’t as thick as first installed and lower winds can’t flex them. We haven’t had hurricane winds here in at least a year and a half.

Be honest, don’t cheat the system. Just pay to have your roof changed out. Be proud of yourself and the sound feeling of doing the right thing. Best of luck!

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 03-13-2024, 06:44 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Agree with the above comments, your home insurance does NOT cover normal wear and tear on a roof, so you are out of luck. This is where the whole insurance scam started, homeowners were tricked into signing 'assignment of benefits' forms, and then the "roofing companies" sued the insurance companies to get a new roof. You can start looking for a new insurer and see if they agree with roof being in good shape (with minor repairs), then go with them and pay for the repairs. If none of the insurance companies will cover you, then you will need to replace the roof at your cost.
Absolutely correct. And, take it one step further: Since the OP filed a claim with his present insurer, that information goes into the national database used by all insurance companies. When he applies for coverage with a new company, this claim will show up during the underwriting phase. It is possible the homeowner may have shot himself in the foot.
Old 03-13-2024, 07:06 AM

Monica Sablon Law office.
she was great for me. couldn'd get anywhere on a claim for a long time until I called her.
She gor me paid for all the damges that the poor rooof caused , such as leaks oin my house and screen damages to my screen room. and repairs to my ceiling. most important shealso got me the money to replace my roof.
This is her specialty area
Old 03-13-2024, 07:36 AM

Good on Farmers not to pay for a new roof because it simply aged and needs replacing. Why should they?
Old 03-13-2024, 08:22 AM
Question 3 ///

Quote:
///
What is the meaning of /// ???
Old 03-13-2024, 08:34 AM
Default Ask Farmers again...

Quote:

My wife and I also had Farmers. Early in 2023 we received notice that they would be dropping us when our policy ended. We shopped several places and did not find any satisfying offers; we were a bit worried.

Suddenly, in comes a letter from Farmers about how we can renew with them. The price was less than what we were finding elsewhere ???

You may do well to call them and speak to a person. Florida insurance companies were quickly floating out to sea, but it appears that the tide has turned and some are coming back. Citizen was absorbing more policies than they probably should have written as most of the state had gone to them. Insurance providers seem to be coming back. I would suggest that you speak with an underwriter from Farmers directly. You may be pleasantly surprised. I hope so for your sake!

Tags
roof, farmers, shingles, creased, leaving

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.