Legal Help for roof insurance claim rejection

Old 03-13-2024, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by len84pa View Post
I am currently insured with Farmers, which to my understanding is leaving the Florida area. I had 3 different roofing companies inspect my roof and they all indicated my roof needed replaced because of lifted shingles, creased shingles, loss of "grit" and end tabs broken .

The adjuster from Farmers inspected the roof and indicated that with the exception of a few shingles being creased (20) the roof was in good shape.

I have absolutly no leverage since Farmers is leaving FL and my policy expires in August 2024.

I'm asking for advice, legal help, to appeal the claim rejection with Farmers.
I can't understand why a homeowners insurance company would cover replacement of a used roof???
Maybe the shingles manufacturers warranty would?
Old 03-13-2024, 08:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Part if the blame falls on then folks up in Tallahassee for not stopping the scammers……..

They are well paid for their service.. service to whom is question.
Old 03-13-2024, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Fr View Post
I can't understand why a homeowners insurance company would cover replacement of a used roof???
Well let’s see manufacturer paid for defects which hardly ever happens before storm damage. Insurance pays for storm damage, why we have need for it. If they wouldn’t pay for unforeseen damage there would be no need for it.

Insurance figured out 40 plus years ago to lobby and get pro rating roofs. I have yet to figure out how Florida was 50 years behind rest of states? But some state are known for fraudulent claims.
Old 03-13-2024, 08:57 AM

Sounds like normal wear. Why is it the responsibility of an insurance company? Everyone wants something for nothing in this world.
Old 03-13-2024, 08:59 AM

I'd also like to know.
Old 03-13-2024, 09:31 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Fr View Post
Has been the norm(at least in Florida) for at least 40+ years. In fact it applies to all parts of the house, including items like paint which also depreciate.
Old 03-13-2024, 11:35 AM

Don't bother the insurance companies. You've already tried to make a claim for what is likely normal wear and tear, that's now on your record!!! Bad move. When you switch insurance companies, they will see your claims history. IMO, find a reputable roofing company and pay for the worn-out roof yourself. Maybe do some damage control with your next insurance company and tell them some less credible roofers assured you it would be covered by insurance. However, having a more qualified independent assessment you now know it's normal wear and tear, and would like their recommendation on more trustworthy roofing companies for you to hire and replace at your cost so you can start out fresh with the new insurance company. IT DOES HURT TO FILE CLAIMS, at least in every state I've lived. IMO, unless the damage is more than you can afford after the deductible, just pay for it. Save the insurance rate increase or cancelation!!
Old 03-13-2024, 05:13 PM

Quote:
I am currently insured with Farmers, which to my understanding is leaving the Florida area. I had 3 different roofing companies inspect my roof and they all indicated my roof needed replaced because of lifted shingles, creased shingles, loss of "grit" and end tabs broken .

The adjuster from Farmers inspected the roof and indicated that with the exception of a few shingles being creased (20) the roof was in good shape.

I have absolutly no leverage since Farmers is leaving FL and my policy expires in August 2024.

I'm asking for advice, legal help, to appeal the claim rejection with Farmers.
I would suggest you contact a HAAG certified inspector. They have the highest level certification for inspecting roof damage and defects.
Old 03-13-2024, 05:30 PM

Use the shingle company that made the shingles. If it’s bad they have to cover the warranty.
Old 03-13-2024, 05:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by conman5652@aol.com View Post
Use the shingle company that made the shingles. If it’s bad they have to cover the warranty.
There are a lot of roofers in The Villages, but only a few types of shingles. Almost all shingles in The Villages are made by Certainteed. So, most likely, you will be buying Certainteed shingles. Selecting a good roofer is way more important than the type of shingle they install.
Old 03-13-2024, 07:02 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,323 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
I had 3 different roofing companies inspect my roof and they all indicated my roof needed replaced because of lifted shingles, creased shingles, loss of "grit" and end tabs broken.
I am not surprised that roofing companies told you that you needed a new roof.

However, what did they tell you caused the damage? And when was it damaged?

I had to replace my roof a few years ago but it was normal wear and tear. Not covered by insurance.
Old 03-13-2024, 07:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Part if the blame falls on then folks up in Tallahassee for not stopping the scammers……..
Far as scammers it is not just in Florida. We had a neighbor who was a retired cop.
Somehow he got a job as an insurance investigator. He always had great stories.
I recall one, I was into fishing at the time. A claim with receipts showed thousands of dollars worth of rods and reels were stolen. He went to the store. It was a bait store and they sold only cheap stuff.
Old 03-13-2024, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flsteve View Post
My wife and I also had Farmers. Early in 2023 we received notice that they would be dropping us when our policy ended. We shopped several places and did not find any satisfying offers; we were a bit worried.

Suddenly, in comes a letter from Farmers about how we can renew with them. The price was less than what we were finding elsewhere ???

You may do well to call them and speak to a person. Florida insurance companies were quickly floating out to sea, but it appears that the tide has turned and some are coming back. Citizen was absorbing more policies than they probably should have written as most of the state had gone to them. Insurance providers seem to be coming back. I would suggest that you speak with an underwriter from Farmers directly. You may be pleasantly surprised. I hope so for your sake!
It will be non renewed on next renewal. Our Governor put a hold on non renewals due to hurricane losses in late 2023. Policies with a cancellation date of April 25 or earlier had to be renewed another year. Cancellation effective date of 4/26/2024 forward will be processed.
Old 03-13-2024, 11:20 PM

It sounds like your roof is old and time to be replaced. When your car wears out and it’s time to replace it, would you expect your insurance company to buy you a new car? Of course not, when your paint wears off your house do you expect the insurance company to repaint your house? Of course not. Well roofs don’t last forever, if an insurance company was to replace a roof simply because it was worn out, would anyone in their right mind ever replace one at their own cost? Of course not, that’s why insurance companies insure your house for catastrophic damages, earthquakes, hurricanes, fires , not wear and tear. Insurance companies in Florida have been scammed into replacing worn out roofs and that is why they are leaving Florida. Your roof is old, buy a new one or get some buckets ready for the leaks that are coming shortly.
Old 03-14-2024, 04:37 AM

I am not sure if you had roofers come and look at your roof, or if you had an inspector do so. It’s the old story of, if you ask a surgeon, you will be told you need surgery, if you ask a chiropractor,they’ll say you need an adjustment, and on and on. As a REALTOR, I would recommend you ask an inspector that does a 4-point inspection. They will let you know if you need to replace or repair. Their report carries weight with the insurance companies. If it needs replacement, you may want to reach out to the shingles manufacturer and see what they say.

Tags
roof, farmers, shingles, creased, leaving

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.