Let's talk driveways

Old 04-19-2024, 09:32 AM

I went with Hand Designs. Beautiful, great quality, and very professional. Highly recommend if they have a style you like.
Old 04-19-2024, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,942 Times in 1,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana2Teddy View Post
Not the case down here in the south where reclaimed water is used for irrigation. Everywhere the water sprays it leaves a brown-ish rusty looking stain. The unpainted driveways down here are an eyesore. We’ll do ours eventually, but not until after we’ve redone our landscaping.
I’ve sold a lot of homes in Florida including 5 in the villages , no one ever said to me oh your home is lovely but your driveway has a brown spot so we won’t be buying , I always have nice landscaping, I don’t even notice the driveway being any different then the expensive customized ones , I also don’t care about the garage floor or insulating it , ,I don’t live in it ,I’m just passing through to my beautiful decorated home

Last edited by charlieo1126@gmail.com; 04-19-2024 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-19-2024, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Not my driveway because I never clean my plain concrete driveway. It gets cleaned when it rains.
You must be Larry who is always on the ************* with useless, nasty comments.
Old 04-19-2024, 10:50 AM
Default Excuse Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherflippinpicker View Post
As I'm driving through TV, I see so many gorgeous driveways, from stone, stamped concrete, painted, etc ... For those of you with a fancy driveway, could you share the cost, type and maintenance?

Could you provide the company that did your driveway?

Thank you so much!
I apologize for this post because it is completely off-topic. Can anyone tell me how I go about posting something on TOTV? I've looked the site over and have been unsuccessful in finding any instructions to post a question. If you'd like to send me a PM, that would be great, but then I'll need to jump through the hoops to locate the message. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2024, 11:28 AM
Default Look at your options

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherflippinpicker View Post
As I'm driving through TV, I see so many gorgeous driveways, from stone, stamped concrete, painted, etc ... For those of you with a fancy driveway, could you share the cost, type and maintenance?

Could you provide the company that did your driveway?

Thank you so much!
My research on TOTV led me to get quotes from:
- Edison ConCreations (352)406-8775 multiple reccos, great reviews
- DECORATIVE CONCRETE OF CENTRAL FLORIDA, INC., Cliff, (352) 620-9561 or 352-220-8766 multi reccos
- B&D Driveway Designs 352-455-9614 multi reccos

On the design, we spent several months (riding our bikes through the neighborhoods) looking at other driveways, deciding which ones we liked and what we thought would look good with our house colors. We did not care for the matte finish ones, but did ensure that although ours is slightly shiny it has good traction when wet. We opted for a design that was not really 'artistic', so it blends with the house instead of drawing attention to itself - personal preference, and the result of a LOT of looking and discussing.

We found that the companies that gave bids all had binders of examples and could pretty much do most of the patterns we saw. Our job wasn't just the driveway/front walk; we also had a birdcage that had been badly painted and was peeling which needed to be ground off then treated, plus a large concrete patio.

Our bids ranged from $3k to $5k, and I think any of the three would have done a great job. I suspect it would have been higher if it had been a complicated and artistic depiction.
Old 04-19-2024, 11:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,775 Times in 5,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie1 View Post
I apologize for this post because it is completely off-topic. Can anyone tell me how I go about posting something on TOTV? I've looked the site over and have been unsuccessful in finding any instructions to post a question. If you'd like to send me a PM, that would be great, but then I'll need to jump through the hoops to locate the message. Thanks.
Go to "forum", and then "all forums home". Select a forum topic and then click on "post a new thread".
Old 04-19-2024, 11:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Painted/stained driveway, Driveways by Jay, around 10 years ago, no maintenance except for an occasional power wash, NO sealing. At the time was around $2/sq ft and there were several others done in the same block, all still looking great.
You don't have to seal it occasionally? Has it faded?
Old 04-19-2024, 11:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,775 Times in 5,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraines View Post
You must be Larry who is always on the ************* with useless, nasty comments.
I'm not Larry, and I don't think my post was nasty, just truthful. I don't clean my concrete driveway.
Old 04-19-2024, 11:45 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Not my driveway because I never clean my plain concrete driveway. It gets cleaned when it rains.
Kinda like an (acid) rain wash!
Old 04-19-2024, 01:09 PM
Veteran member

Before moving from the North (Michigan) to the South (North Carolina), I had never heard of the concept of fancy driveways. I could not see what the point of them was or how they could be worth the cost. When we retired and moved to The Villages, I saw lots of them but it didn't change my mind. After three years of living happily without one, we moved to a different (and rather nicer) house in a different neighborhood. After all, aren't we required to own 3 or more houses during our stays here? Anyway, the new one has a painted driveway that extends right into the garage and the birdcage has a matching finish. We love it and can't imagine having boring, grey concrete slabs for our driveway, garage or birdcage. As for maintenance, I am clueless and will be following this thread to see what we're going to be needing to do in the future to keep these looking good.
Old 04-19-2024, 01:12 PM
Default Driveways by Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Painted/stained driveway, Driveways by Jay, around 10 years ago, no maintenance except for an occasional power wash, NO sealing. At the time was around $2/sq ft and there were several others done in the same block, all still looking great.
Do you have his number? I tried to google but no luck.
Old 04-19-2024, 04:12 PM

I has H-D Hand Design and am very happy with the results. It cost $4200 but I do have a driveway that is wider and deeper than most.

I'm very happy with results and would recommend them to anyone. They are usually about 6 months out but came on the day they
estimated and worked hard to get it done in two days.
Old 04-19-2024, 08:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,689 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Waste of money…….
I enjoy mine every day. Mrs. Laker and I are very happy with the result we got when we had our driveway done. We spent money on it, got a result we love.

We don't feel like that money was wasted any more than we would feel money spent on a nice meal is wasted. We could have stayed home, eaten rice and beans and been just as well nourished, yet we went out, spent many times more than the rice and beans would have cost us, and still, somehow, didn't feel the money was wasted.

Go figure.
Old 04-19-2024, 08:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,195 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedChariot View Post
You don't have to seal it occasionally? Has it faded?
Original installer (Jay) came back after several years and indicated that they no longer recommend sealing their work apparently due to the possibility of the sealer becoming cloudy their recommendation was to wash with DAWN, then power wash.
Old 04-19-2024, 08:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,195 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strom View Post
Do you have his number? I tried to google but no luck.
Jay is contacted through Hometown services, I will need to find the paperwork if you cannot find a phone number, let me know.

Tags
driveways, driveway, type, fancy, share

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.