Let's Talk Termites

Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2021, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

I do wonder. I've never seen any of the people applying insecticides around here wearing proper protection. They spray this stuff all day long.
Chlordane was the stuff that they used to use but, it has been taken off the market by ??? epa???? It was supposed to be permanent, whatever that means. Our previous home, not in Florida, was treated with Chlordane before we bought it.
I was growing organic vegetables in my backyard. Surely that is the reason I keep getting older every year.
Old 02-18-2021, 10:35 AM

Agreed. Massey termite inspection is a joke. As far as the inspection of the ground stations, those were examined if they could find them. Missed some if mine when he came out. Lowes and HD sell do it yourself kits for ground stations.
Old 02-18-2021, 10:49 AM
Veteran member

We're going to have a patio poured, the contractor said the site had to have a termite professional treat the area.
Old 02-18-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
OK,,,so I'm a new homeowner trying to get my ducks in a row. Had a couple of exterminators over to hear their termite plan.
I'm looking at the contract and contract includes “Subterranean Termites” and “Formosan Termites”, excludes "Drywood termites", "powederpost beetles" and "old house borers".

I'm embarrassed to admit that I have no idea if excluding those last three organisms puts me at great risk. Why would they exclude them? It seems to me that if it's a CYA clause, it must mean that they present a risk they can't deal with, so why should I pay money for them to kill the easy stuff and I might still get attacked by the hard to kill stuff.

If they aren't abundant, and don't pose a threat, why would they exclude them. Anybody out there researched this? I'd love some input.

Thanks
When a new homeowner moves into The Villages, neighbors, friends, and particularly pest control companies put the fear of God into them. They all tell you that you MUST have protection from all these "critters," when in fact, you need to do nothing unless you have a problem. You will not have to worry about any type of termite for (probably) more years than you will be alive. Yes -- I am not kidding!

Do this . . . move in and wait to see how many bugs you actually find in your house. I will guarantee that you won't find enough (maybe a couple???) to warrant any kind of service. Buy a can of Raid and keep in handy in the event that you do see a (one?) bug!

Instead of poisoning the environment play the wait and see game. I am sure you will not have a problem. In the event you do have a problem, treat the problem when it happens and not on an ongoing basis, paying some company for their "service." Think of the money you will save and Mother Earth will smile down on you!
Old 02-18-2021, 11:17 AM

I've had Massey for over 22 years and at inspection time, I get a thorough interior and attic inspection as well as an outside inspection and retreatment. I get a quarterly cleaning and treatment service and when I notice insects inside, at any time, a call to Massey is answered almost immediately and a service person shows up and treats the problem. Couldn't be more pleased.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Deans quotes everyone a different price and a different process when needed, if you average everyone at $100.00 per year times 140,000 homes that is $14,000,000 split mostly between deans and Massey, pretty good racket when you figure no one on here has ever stated that they had subterranean termites with a treatment program or without a treatment program. I do my permitter twice a year at a cost of $24.00 for two applications.
What type of treatment do you do on your perimeter?

NOTE: I just did my entire perimeter(dug around foundation myself) 6"x6" and applied Taurus SC(Amazon). I paid under $100, when Massey's wanted $400(plus annual fees).
Old 02-18-2021, 11:36 AM
Default Termite Info

Central Florida is "Downtown Central for Termites". Orlando and Tampa Bay are in the top 20 USA cities with termites. There are 3 types of termites: subterranean, dry wood, and wet wood. Termite treatment is by (1) chemicals or (2) traps. The basic Massey treatment only covers subterranean termites. Terminix does traps for subterranean and spray for dry wood termites (Terminix sales claims the risk from wet wood in The Village area is extremely small and is not covered). Orkin will protect for all 3 type of termites by ground treatment (the ground treatment may require drilling through the concrete surrounding a house -- a consideration if the concrete is painted with design) and spray. Be advised that attic spray procedure requires that items stored in the attic which are used by humans (holiday decorations, clothing, …) must be removed prior to application of attic spray. Attic items may be returned after a time period on the order of a day (check with the treatment company for exact time period). Terminix and Orkin both include monetary guarantees with their protection plans -- one is for unlimited cost and the other a large finite amount for termite damage. Both Terminix and Orkin require initial treatment cost followed by periodic payment annually or bi-annually. Dean's is another popular local treatment supplier in the area. We selected Terminix.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:40 AM

Not sure, but consider that the interior od the jouse is NOT wood, it is all metal studs. Base boards and moulding are wood. In maine i had a cape style house with a knee board and a full dormer. To my surprise termites invaded the knee boards. The devastation was unbelievable.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:42 PM

Where do you purchase your chemical to do the treatment?
Old 02-18-2021, 12:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
In my observation there is only a very small probability of termites in TV, but because the developer so carefully prepares the soil including drenching it for termites, personally I like the warranty Dean’s gives. To me it’s a bit like car insurance, I hope never to have to use it but I pay for it every year.
The builder no longer does soil poisoning. As a matter of fact, they stopped doing it before my home was built in 2011. Instead, they treat the framing to a height of about 36 inches above the slab, and that treatment is good for at least 5 years.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtisbwp View Post
Not sure, but consider that the interior od the jouse is NOT wood, it is all metal studs. Base boards and moulding are wood. In maine i had a cape style house with a knee board and a full dormer. To my surprise termites invaded the knee boards. The devastation was unbelievable.
That is not true at all. We're having a house built right now and although there are some metal studs in it, the vast majority of it is wood.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 02-18-2021, 12:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesGP View Post

NOTE: I just did my entire perimeter(dug around foundation myself) 6"x6" and applied Taurus SC(Amazon). I paid under $100, when Massey's wanted $400(plus annual fees).
The problem with a DIY, is you don't get the damage repair bond . Also for resale, I would not consider a home that did not have a current inspection and an active repair bond.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:35 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobob View Post
I think the termite threat is over blown, I have talked to many friends and neighbors and no one knows of any termite issues and most do not have the termite treatments.
I live in a concrete house with steel rod supports. Talk to some of my neighbors who have decided that they didn’t need termite protection. I guarantee that you will change your mind.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:43 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesGP View Post

I used to use Termidor now I use Bayer. $49.00 gives me enough for 4 applications, I do two a year.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:46 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaNi4os View Post
I live in a concrete house with steel rod supports. Talk to some of my neighbors who have decided that they didn’t need termite protection. I guarantee that you will change your mind.
If your neighbors live in TV anywhere south of 466 I would like to talk to them, I have asked on here multiple times if anyone has a proven case of subterranean termites south of 466 and not one person can come up with a case. I don't mean rumors, I mean actual subterranean termite cases.
Closed Thread

Tags
kill, termites”, stuff, contract, termites

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.