Let's Talk Termites

Closed Thread
Old 02-19-2021, 06:23 PM

I decided to put the bait (canisters) system around the house. I use Massey and you can negotiate a price. With the liquid treatment, it needs to be done every 10 years. With the canisters, its one and done. With both ways, you still need the termite yearly insurance plan. Also the cost of the canisters was only about $100 bucks more. Plus I'm not a big fan of treated the soil with pesticides. I have 3 dogs. Figured it would be safer for them and saves money in the long run.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:12 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
Where do you purchase your chemical to do the treatment?
Starr's or Amazon
Old 02-19-2021, 07:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
The problem with a DIY, is you don't get the damage repair bond . Also for resale, I would not consider a home that did not have a current inspection and an active repair bond.
Buyers are allowed to have a termite inspection, if there are signs of termites I'm sure they will walk repair bond or not. If there are no signs of termites very few will walk because there is no warranty on the home, they can easily get it after they close. The will all take on new customers because it is so profitable for them.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:12 PM

We have friends that had to replace an entire wall in their house from termites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
In my observation there is only a very small probability of termites in TV, but because the developer so carefully prepares the soil including drenching it for termites, personally I like the warranty Dean’s gives. To me it’s a bit like car insurance, I hope never to have to use it but I pay for it every year.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow8IA View Post
We have friends that had to replace an entire wall in their house from termites.
What village did your friends live in, what type of termites where they and when did it happen?
Old 02-25-2021, 08:45 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Has anyone ever noticed any houses between 466 and 466A, getting the 'whole house tent' treatment for termites? If so, do you recall which village(s)?
Old 02-25-2021, 08:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
Has anyone ever noticed any houses between 466 and 466A, getting the 'whole house tent' treatment for termites? If so, do you recall which village(s)?
The whole house tent treatment would not be for subterranean termites, which is the most common type, and the only kind that the builder routinely treats for in new houses.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:29 PM

My Massey guy does go into the attic. But, having lived in South Florida for 28 years, it was not uncommon to occasionally see a tented house. I've never seen a tented house in TV, leading me to believe termites are not a problem here. But, like many of us, as we age, we are willing to spend for peace of mind even if it's not the best investment.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:55 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacRI View Post
Agreed. Massey termite inspection is a joke. As far as the inspection of the ground stations, those were examined if they could find them. Missed some if mine when he came out. Lowes and HD sell do it yourself kits for ground stations.
We've used them for years, just got new set for perimeter last week. Honestly, have always wondered if it is even worth it, but about $49 for an entire kit, so, we just do it ! Who knows ! ?
Closed Thread

Tags
kill, termites”, stuff, contract, termites

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.