Lifelong Learning Center

Closed Thread
Old 12-02-2016, 10:32 AM

Wow what a sad day. The Lifelong Learning Center has provided not only classes but outside tours and trips at a reasonable price to The Village residences. Now many of our residents will not only miss the opportunity to take a wide variety of classes but the chance to go on some trips outside The Villages😒
Old 12-02-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teryl1949 View Post
So once again the selfish, greedy demands of a few result in punishment of the rest of us! As we age there are of course things we are no longer able to participate in. My back problems prevent me from playing more than 9 holes of golf. Maybe I should sue because of this. I am entitled to 18 holes because that's how many there are damnit. Screw those who brought this action. Someone list who they are!
SCHWARZ v. THE VILLAGES CHARTER SCHOOL, INC. | Case No. 5:12-cv-177-Oc-34PRL. | Leagle.com
Old 12-02-2016, 10:35 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You cannot fight the force of the Federal Government and lobbyists. I am so angry. I saw this coming just from posts on this Forum. In my opinion, this is an example of an agency that has overstepped it's goals and in this case thrown the baby out with the bath water. I am so mad at the ADA right now. And the people who brought this suit. Anyone who knows me well know what my priorities are but this is just BS, in MY very humble opinion. The needs of MANY older people have been ignored for someone's narrow campaign.
you might want to reread what you wrote....every american is entitled to be included in all aspects of life....even in TV.

The ADA is enforcing that. TV will just have to come up with a way to make this work for everyone...not just for some.....they will remedy this....i'm sure of it.... the lawsuit just lit a fire under there butts....
Old 12-02-2016, 10:38 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Just read this on the front page of The Sun ........... I am so angry that if I say anything it could get me into big trouble. What a dreadful loss for TV. If you read the article it states that TV have been trying to placate these people for 8 years and NOTHING was enough.

Note to me : get off this computer before you put into writing something you will regret!
Here's who you can complain to:
Plaintiffs are Louis Schwarz, Doris Schwarz, Janice Hickey, Thomas Hickey, Bernie Brown, Elizabeth Holst, Stephen Holst, Joanna Langlais, Francis Langlais, Robert Smart, Richard McElwain, Byron Zimmerman, Shirley Zimmerman, John Wilson, Charles Martin, Randall Walker, Evelyn Walker, Maureen Osgood, Carole Paul, Mary Kay Pickering, Andrew St. John, Karen Russell, Clarence Russell, Richard Woods, Linda Woods, Robert McDevitt, Lynn Stirling, Kathleen McElwain, Herbert Pickering, Barbara Achin, Ronald Achin, Diane St. John, Kenny Hynes, and Mary Wilson. See Third Amended Complaint at 1-2 (Doc. 93).
Old 12-02-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalGranny View Post
How horrible for the rest of us!. Some people cannot be placated, no matter what.
But things like this closing will just embolden people to file more lawsuits. Sad!. Now we have achieved more of the aim of liberals everywhere -- shared misery!
When we moved here in '08 there were herds of buffalo all over TheVillages. One day a grandpa gave his grandchild an apple to feed to a buffalo..the buffalo bit the child and grandpa sued the developer...no mo buffalo...same deal here
Old 12-02-2016, 10:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,784 Times in 1,387 Posts

How is this such a surprise to so many?

Of all the issues that are in TV, good or bad or just informative, how did this one sneak under the radar of knowledgeable residents and management? (if it did that is).

How did this major element of TV life style process toward demise with no clamor along the way to closure?
Old 12-02-2016, 10:58 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeagle65 View Post
Someone please publish the names of those responsible for the legal action and killing of a wonderful resource for their own spiteful reasons so the Villagers may 'thank' them.
Plaintiffs are Louis Schwarz, Doris Schwarz, Janice Hickey, Thomas Hickey, Bernie Brown, Elizabeth Holst, Stephen Holst, Joanna Langlais, Francis Langlais, Robert Smart, Richard McElwain, Byron Zimmerman, Shirley Zimmerman, John Wilson, Charles Martin, Randall Walker, Evelyn Walker, Maureen Osgood, Carole Paul, Mary Kay Pickering, Andrew St. John, Karen Russell, Clarence Russell, Richard Woods, Linda Woods, Robert McDevitt, Lynn Stirling, Kathleen McElwain, Herbert Pickering, Barbara Achin, Ronald Achin, Diane St. John, Kenny Hynes, and Mary Wilson. See Third Amended Complaint at 1-2 (Doc. 93).
Old 12-02-2016, 11:08 AM

The details of the suit and the list of plaintiffs (neighbors) can be googled by searching "suit against the villages lifelong learning college." Not a friendly gesture in Florida's Friendliest Hometown!
Old 12-02-2016, 11:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,237 Times in 2,281 Posts

HenryK, you beat me to the list, thank you.

It is too bad that there was no middle ground on this, for example, having a few sign language personnel available for classes IF REQUESTED, or something similar. I know my wife is very disappointed as she had just signed up for the second and third classes for some art classes. I had looked at several classes, and was considering teaching 1 or 2 classes, OH WELL.

I am hoping that a solution can be found, and that this does not impact all of the clubs and other events in TV. The possible implications of this could be very bad foe TV.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:19 AM
Platinum member

from my reading of the legal document. they initially went after the Resident Lifestyle Groups....but it appears the case was not as strong, so then they went after the LLC because although the filing states many of the plaintiffs have never enrolled the case would be more easily made. All the things tried were not acceptable to them. they said the text to speech wasn't always 100% accurate, transcripts that were provided had typos. they could have brought their own interpreter who could take the class free of charge. one of the things asked for was injunctive relief which is: injunctive relief is a court order for the defendant to stop a specified act or behavior. Well, they got it.
If I felt people were deliberately being discriminated against, I would applaud them. But this looks like a calculated move to get money and when one avenue was closed down (against the deep pockets of the developer with the RLGs) they looked around and found somewhere else to sue.
I will miss the LLC and I feel sorry for the instructors (whether they are paid well or not--I suspect you make more if you have full classes) but I'm kind of glad they stood up to it. I'm sure they thought the fear of having to close LLC would be a strong card to use in settlement talks. well, now that is off the table.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:23 AM
Default Let cool heads prevail

Yes, this totally sux. It's gonna get a lot uglier before this is all over, but please, let's not turn this into an ugly linch-mob mentality. There's enough of that going on in this country already.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
I hope these 32 people are happy with themselves that their actions resulted in affecting 18,000 (number quoted in the Daily Sun this morning) residents that were signed up for the next session of classes and trips at the Lifelong Learning Center.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:29 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
from my reading of the legal document. they initially went after the Resident Lifestyle Groups....but it appears the case was not as strong, so then they went after the LLC because although the filing states many of the plaintiffs have never enrolled the case would be more easily made. All the things tried were not acceptable to them. they said the text to speech wasn't always 100% accurate, transcripts that were provided had typos. they could have brought their own interpreter who could take the class free of charge. one of the things asked for was injunctive relief which is: injunctive relief is a court order for the defendant to stop a specified act or behavior. Well, they got it.
If I felt people were deliberately being discriminated against, I would applaud them. But this looks like a calculated move to get money and when one avenue was closed down (against the deep pockets of the developer with the RLGs) they looked around and found somewhere else to sue.
I will miss the LLC and I feel sorry for the instructors (whether they are paid well or not--I suspect you make more if you have full classes) but I'm kind of glad they stood up to it. I'm sure they thought the fear of having to close LLC would be a strong card to use in settlement talks. well, now that is off the table.
Speech-to-text is often garbled on television, too. Maybe the jerks can sue the networks, too.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
won't take long--they'll move
They may move, but the damage to the rest of us is already done. I sure hope the attorneys who represented them send them a LARGE bill for their services.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:33 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmurray View Post

If you are really interested in what happened here, the above link is a very interesting and long read. Before any more veiled threats are made to "Thank" the named plaintiffs in this case, it might be a good idea to educate yourself on what really happened here.

While it's a long read, the facts are there. The plaintiffs only won on 1 complaint in this suit and that was that the LLC declined to provide interpreters because it was too cost prohibitive. They also sited a lack of certified interpreters in this area. It was stated in depositions that adding the cost to supply the services to the all students tuition, would cause a large drop in enrollment. It was deemed therefore that it was not a viable solution.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Closed Thread

Tags
center, learning, lifelong

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.