Lifelong Learning Center

Closed Thread
Old 12-02-2016, 11:33 AM

It is just called GREED, I feel the parties were just in it to see how much money they could pocket.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

Everyone should read the court record, all of it. The court specifically held that the ADA did NOT apply in this case, rather it decided that the "section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act ("RA"), 29 U.S.C. § 794, et seq." was the law which may or may not apply in this case.

The court very specifically rejected all claims that the clubs and rec centers etc are subject to the issues raised by the plaintiffs.

In fact the case revolves over the use of Federal Dollars by the Charter School Corporation in its operations. The use of the Federal Dollars makes it subject to Federal regulations. The court left for a jury to decide whether the cost of sign language interpreters was an undue financial burden for the Lifelong Learning College.

Quote:
McDaniel testified that providing sign language interpreters would not be sustainable because it was cost prohibitive for the LLC and that there was not adequate availability of certified sign language interpreters. McDaniel Dep. at 50-51. As such, the Charter School Corporation has never provided certified sign language interpreters for LLC courses
They did try using a speech to text Dragon program but it produced a useless output.

The court held that it was up to a jury to decide

Quote:
The Charter School Corporation's burden is to produce sufficient evidence that a reasonable juror could conclude that providing sign language interpreters would constitute an undue hardship

And contradicting the claim in the paper that they did everything they could to accommodate the needs of the deaf

Quote:
Plaintiffs further assert that the Charter School Corporation had other flexible options which it refused to explore, including
(i) cost spreading over the Defendant's 500 courses or over 22,000 enrollments at a nominal amount; (ii) charging a small one time registration/user fee over all of its enrollments; (iii) applying for federal, state and private grants[;] (iv) reducing expenses[;] (v) utilizing tax breaks given for providing accommodations[;] or (vi) seeking contributions from alternate sources of funding.
And that the cost to provide interpreters according to the defense would be

Quote:
the Charter School Corporation asserts that this would amount to a loss of $63,334.40 per year for courses filled to capacity at 12 students and $50,188.80 per year for courses half filled at six students
Did the developer get $64,000/yr of benefit by being able to advertise the LLC as a selling point for The Villages? Could the LLC charge the Developer a $64,000 per year fee for using the name and description of that program and then redirect that advertising income to handicapped services? Seems to me like a tiny additional expense for the Morse empire and a significant loss of a marketing tool.

So there it is. Apparently the Charter School Corporation decided not to go to trial and attempt to win the case but rather closed the LLC. I don't know from the record whether that means the plaintiffs are dismissing their suit or intend to go forward seeking damages for their case. It would seem unlikely they would drop the case as then the LLC could simply reopen under the same conditions, unless of course there was also a cash settlement [speculation]
Old 12-02-2016, 12:09 PM
Default Llc

I have attended classes at LLC. What a horrible self centered cause to shut down something that is enjoyed by so very many. My daughter has SEVERE crohns disease and a colostomy. Perhaps we need to have receptacles for her to empty her bag! Can you tell I am PO'd?
Old 12-02-2016, 12:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

I am horrified but not surprised at the general response to this situation. The law for very good reason requires that public agencies provide services to all citizens in a manner that reasonably allows their participation

These neighbors of ours were unable to utilize the Lifelong Learning College because of a common problem around here, hearing loss. All they asked was that the LLC provide them with a way to learn along side those of us who do not yet have hearing loss, at a reasonable cost to the Charter School which apparently directly or indirectly gets Federal tax dollars as part of its financing.

If the numbers in the paper of 18,000 students a year are correct, for a mere $4 per person they could have covered the cost of interpreters as needed to help our hearing impaired neighbors. That so many on this forum suggest shunning or actively driving these people away because they just wanted to enjoy the same amenities as I can enjoy is so deplorable it needs to be called out. That it took a lawsuit to even attempt to get sign language interpreters in this situation evidences that the defendants preferred to fight rather than accommodate. I am certain that they spent many many years of the cost of providing the service of interpreters on their legal team.

It would have been so much easier, and reflect a concern for the well being of the hard of hearing had the Rohan, Tutt, et al team when first made aware that deaf Villagers wanted to take courses at the LLC had simply said, yes we will get that done. They seem to have installed handicapped lifts in many of the pools so we know that trying to help all of us can sometimes be a goal that is accomplished.

These 32 plaintiffs did NOT take the LLC away from you. They wanted to be with you. The decision to close the LLC lies entirely with the people who run it who could have easily, years ago, or now provide help to the deaf rather than shut the doors.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:10 PM

Another example of how US society has changed to a "minority rule" society. Instead of supporting services for the majority of people now any minority of something can make the majority cow tow to their wishes. Facts do not matter anymore nor do requirements and costs--it is all about the bathroom you can use, your skin color, religious preferences, everyone goes to college and now cancel classes/eliminate a school because one has trouble hearing. When do we wakeup and stop this extreme nonsense?
Old 12-02-2016, 12:11 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

I think it would be interesting to hear both sides to make an informed opinion. I also think that talking like vigilantes is not useful. Turn all that negative energy into finding out if there are alternate locations and options to continue the good work of the Life Long Learning College. 32 people coming together for a lawsuit may have some legitimacy in their complaints. For heaven sakes, I read on TOTV and Facebook when people write flipping their lids that the grass is brown on the golf courses. Or they do not have the department stores they love. Or that people park poorly. Or that there is not enough variety in restaurants. Or that there is too much music at a swimming pool. Or people are stealing seats in the square. Or they don't like the parking at the hospital. Or they didn't like their doctor. On and On. I do not know what these 32 people were thinking or going after, but they must have had a passion and belief for their issues. Maybe it is not monetary. How do you know? Instead of being threatening about what you would like to do with these plaintiffs, it would be interesting to have them interviewed and given a chance to express what their issues were to go to the extent they did. I would like to know before I form an opinion for or against them or The Villages. Don't take as the gospel everything you read in the newspaper controlled by The Villages, broaden your scope and get all the facts. Maybe The Villages are in the right, but maybe the plaintiffs have some rights as well that were violated. No one knows at this time. I am curious too but non judgemental until I hear the "other" side.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:15 PM

Everyone should take a good look at these names. Will clubs be the next target for these people?
Old 12-02-2016, 12:15 PM

Just noticed the reference information, so now is time to read/study/Understand(?)

Last edited by caseycasebeer; 12-02-2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:16 PM
Platinum member

I'm not sure the speech to text was useless. It just wasn't 100% perfect. Neither is my closed captioning on my TV. I don't always hear every word when I'm at public functions despite having hearing aids. I often use closed captioning at home. I don't expect perfection. To me the question is what is "reasonable" accommodations. It appears reasonable accommodations were presented but I'm sure the plaintiffs attorneys advised them to find fault with everything. I, too, read the entire motion including where they were seeking compensatory damages. why not just sue to have it corrected to their satisfaction and payment of their legal fees??? it's money.

although I will say, had I been given the opportunity to pay $4/yr. to provide the service and thus keep the LLC, I would have gladly done it. I wonder why that wasn't even presented to the community. Unless there's hope that outrage will allow them to put forth that fee without the populace complaining about it.

Last edited by Bonnevie; 12-02-2016 at 12:20 PM. Reason: add
Old 12-02-2016, 12:20 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
I am horrified but not surprised at the general response to this situation. accommodate.
These 32 plaintiffs did NOT take the LLC away from you. They wanted to be with you. The decision to close the LLC lies entirely with the people who run it who could have easily, years ago, or now provide help to the deaf rather than shut the doors.
I agree with you totally.....well said...
Old 12-02-2016, 12:24 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalier65 View Post
Another example of how US society has changed to a "minority rule" society. Instead of supporting services for the majority of people now any minority of something can make the majority cow tow to their wishes. Facts do not matter anymore nor do requirements and costs--it is all about the bathroom you can use, your skin color, religious preferences, everyone goes to college and now cancel classes/eliminate a school because one has trouble hearing. When do we wakeup and stop this extreme nonsense?
ever heard of no child left behind....
we are not all perfect....some have issues....but we must be all treated equally... and have all opportunities available to the many and not just the few....

Thats why I choose to live in America...
Old 12-02-2016, 12:51 PM
Sage

IMHO, these people don't give a rats behind about the ADA, they're on a money hunt--guess I'm the only person who cares about the 200 full time employees who are soon to be unemployed,this means they lose health insurance & their children can't TV charter schools
Old 12-02-2016, 01:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Just read this on the front page of The Sun ........... I am so angry that if I say anything it could get me into big trouble. What a dreadful loss for TV. If you read the article it states that TV have been trying to placate these people for 8 years and NOTHING was enough.

Note to me : get off this computer before you put into writing something you will regret!
Amen.

We have been taking classes there since we arrived in 2011. Devastated that so few can ruin something for so many. I hope they are happy. Now nobody has the college.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:08 PM
fw102807

Very sad that just because people can't get their own way they have to ruin it for everyone.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:12 PM
Send a message via AIM to Emmakrock@yahoo.com

This guy that started it! Big house on the golf Course!All the money in the world, Makes me so mad.the learning center was a draw for me . Why do these entitled people ruin it for all of us. My husband is mostly deaf, he deals with it he makes some accommodations. He doesn't make others miserable.

Last edited by Emmakrock@yahoo.com; 12-02-2016 at 01:19 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
center, learning, lifelong

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.