Lifelong Learning Center

Closed Thread
Old 03-15-2017, 02:30 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
A more relevant question might be, "Does the ADA REQUIRE certified interpreters?"
No, it does not require certified interpreters if there are aids or other services that will accommodate the hearing impaired in specific situations..

If certified interpreters are the only service that will accommodate the hearing impaired in specific situations, then they have to be provided. But if the provider (ie the LLC in this case) does not like having to pay for them, then they would have to prove an undue financial hardship and/or prove that there are more economical ways that will accommodate just as well..
Old 03-15-2017, 03:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,914 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
No, it does not require certified interpreters if there are aids or other services that will accommodate the hearing impaired in specific situations..

If certified interpreters are the only service that will accommodate the hearing impaired in specific situations, then they have to be provided. But if the provider (ie the LLC in this case) does not like having to pay for them, then they would have to prove an undue financial hardship and/or prove that there are more economical ways that will accommodate just as well..
which only goes to prove post #915
Old 03-15-2017, 03:37 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
which only goes to prove post #915
Correct!
Old 03-15-2017, 05:56 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavy Chips View Post
My guess is that the structure or organization or sponsorship of the new LLC will fall outside of any ADA requirements or oversight.

Is it a fact there will be "a new LLC?" I must have missed that.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavy Chips View Post
My guess is that the structure or organization or sponsorship of the new LLC will fall outside of any ADA requirements or oversight.
This is my guess too.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
And yet the lawsuit says all the plaintiffs are deaf. I don't buy that for one second.
All the plaintiffs are hearing impaired, some more than others. In fact some can even use phones although probably not well with strangers.

The more militant Deaf do not appreciate being called hearing impaired because they do not consider their deafness to be a condition but a culture.

Last edited by EPutnam1863; 03-19-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:43 AM
Platinum member

Has there been any development with respect to the new LLC? I haven't seen anything.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
Has there been any development with respect to the new LLC? I haven't seen anything.
The latest I have heard is in the January issue of the POA bulletin.

The trial is still ongoing.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
A more relevant question might be, "Does the ADA REQUIRE certified interpreters?"
No unless it is the only reasonable accommodation that will meet the deaf's needs and/or wants.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,914 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:
No unless it is the only reasonable accommodation that will meet the deaf's needs and/or wants.
NEEDS and WANTS are two vastly different things, don't you agree?
Old 03-20-2017, 05:47 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
NEEDS and WANTS are two vastly different things, don't you agree?
Oh yes, definitely! If I were the lawyer for the plaintiffs, that would be how I would argue them into not requesting certified ASL interpreters for those classes they don't really need.

For example, one plaintiff wanted to take that class in History of WW II. He could have used the computer or gone to the library instead. A class addressing medical issues may be different.

No interpreting would be necessary in some art classes as long as the teacher would be willing to spend just a few minutes face-to-face with the deaf student who after all has to keep his eyes on the paper. That is what my college instructors did with me back in those days when there was no such thing as interpreting in classes.

It takes both sides to compromise. That would have been my mantra all along...compromise, compromise, compromise.

However under the ADA the deaf has the right to request such services in a "fun" class if they are offered to anyone else.

If I lived in TV, I would have requested a volunteer position as an ombudsperson between the LLC and the deaf students. This is where TV made its mistake - not having an ombudsperson. Randy McDaniel and Janet Tutt might have meant well, but they had no expertise in this area.

Last edited by EPutnam1863; 03-20-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:13 PM
Veteran member

Today the Plaintiffs filed a motion for extension of time so to have more time to prepare documents justifying their request that the Defendants pay approximately $3M for attorneys' fees, etc. The Judge granted the motion.

Later today the Defendants filed a motion for judgement as a matter of law. They also filed a motion to have a new trial if their first motion should be denied.

For more information, see Login to PacerMonitor
Old 03-23-2017, 08:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Today the Plaintiffs filed a motion for extension of time so to have more time to prepare documents justifying their request that the Defendants pay approximately $3M for attorneys' fees, etc. The Judge granted the motion.

Later today the Defendants filed a motion for judgement as a matter of law. They also filed a motion to have a new trial if their first motion should be denied.
According to Google:

Judgment as a matter of law (JMOL) is a motion made by a party, during trial, claiming the opposing party has insufficient evidence to reasonably support its case. JMOL is also known as a directed verdict, which it has replaced in American federal courts.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
According to Google:

Judgment as a matter of law (JMOL) is a motion made by a party, during trial, claiming the opposing party has insufficient evidence to reasonably support its case. JMOL is also known as a directed verdict, which it has replaced in American federal courts.
Thank you for the definition of judgment as a matter of law (JMOL).

While I support the plaintiffs' rights to reasonable accommodations under law, I support the defendants' theory that there is insufficient evidence presented by the plaintiffs on most of the issues.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

For more information, see Login to PacerMonitor
This strikes me as a pretty effective summary of what this has been all about.

Tags
center, learning, lifelong

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.