The Lifestyle? What protects its future?

Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2010, 09:30 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
This may be the first time that somebody has hijacked their own thread.
Oh dear! Oh my! Please forgive me for being so rude. I truly thought that we had met. Please allow me to introduce myself. Hello, TH, my name is Boomer.

(Oh dear! Oh my! I sure hope TH does not throw me out. I have another post coming that is on the topic. -- sort of. Oh dear! Oh my! -- Actually, I think a little hijacking is somewhat Shakespearean in nature. I sure hope nobody tells Mr. Tony that.)
Old 02-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman911 View Post
I have lived in a housing development governed by a Community Association for over 30 years. When the developer was the majority voting interest for several years until build out. At that point, the residents were in total control of the Community Association. The transition was smooth as the developer also owned the shopping center and commercial office building in the development (no golf course, only bike/walking trails, city owns the parks). Over time, the developer sold the commercial property but the occupancy and types of vendors did not change significantly. The new owners did cut down a lot of the nice trees on their property due to the liability and trimming cost. Over the years the maintenance of the common areas has degraded significantly. This is primarily due to the Community Associations reluctance to raise the monthly fee. We only pay $300 per year. I would rather raise the fee and maintain the common areas to the level they were when we purchased our home. The truth is that a lot of residents do not agree (either do not care or can not afford). In the end, the appearance of the common areas does affect the value of your home and the prestiege of the community. This is one of my fears about TV after build out. Will the residents agree to raise the maintenance fees the level necessary to fund proper maintenance? Again, some may not be able to afford the increase in fees. Will some villages be better maintained than others? One of the large expenses our Community Association has is repair of damage and vandalism to sprinkler systems, trees, walls, etc. Most all of that is caused by kids (some of whom do not live in our development but just like TV have access because the streets are city owned) so it should not be as large of an expense in TV. One of the things we lost when the developer stepped away was the deep pocket for legal fees to enforce the rules (for those homeowners who think they are exempt). That all said, I still think TV is the place to retire but we must all work to ensure that the very standards that attracted us to TV are maintained and funded.
Hi Batman,

The kind of thing that you have been dealing with is the kind of thing that happens way too often. I have spent some time lately trying to steer someone away from buying in a community where I think I can see a mess coming, like the one you are talking about in your post. (They asked me.)

- - - - - - -

TV is the only retirement community that we are considering. The size and momentum of TV and the business savvy and the awareness of the big picture that residents have should serve TV's future well. I sure hope so anyway. Whether we end up there or not, I want TV to continue to be good for the residents.

I have watched TV's market for many years. Since long before I retired. I am fascinated by the concept. And I am seeing more pros than cons.

The Lifestyle. TV's niche.

Buying near the ocean means you've still got the ocean if things do not work out. But buying near the ocean means that you have a house by the ocean -- and all those associated costs and risks. I think that it might be kind of nice to have the best of both worlds. We could buy in TV and easily visit the ocean. It's not that far away.

With me it is not really analysis-paralysis, although it might look that way. It is more of a sometimes seemingly cursed ability to not let emotion enter into real estate decisions. And though that has helped me in the past, this go-round, it might be in the way.

(Well, actually this miserable Ohio winter is starting to come through to me, talking to me loud and clear. And I think it is telling me that I am an idiot and I just think I can figure stuff out, and I spend way too much time thinking.)

Also -- and this might sound a little strange -- I find it encouraging to read here that others have felt the same way, looked into the issues closely, weighed the possibility for things to maybe not work out, and decided to go ahead. I am not the Lone Ranger.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 02-07-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:10 AM
Administrator

The Lone Ranger with a degree in English, maybe.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Gold member
Default Build out

I agree with Boomer. The size of the develop will affect the ultimate success or failure (bigger is better). Election of competent association officers and participation by residents will improve the odds of success significantly. A little free labor from the residents to invest in their community also helps. We are looking forward to enjoying TV and all the good things in the community. From the post I read on TOTV, there appears to be no shortage of concerned residents who will support their community and give back a little to keep it as it was when they were attracted to it. Sure recipe for success.

Does anyone have a feel for how many TV residents had lived in an organized development prior to moving to TV?
Old 02-07-2010, 04:17 PM

34 posts, 4 pages talking about,

“When the developer is finished, is there a plan for the music to continue in the squares every night? For the landscaping to still be so beautifully maintained? Will the Lifelong Learning College go on? And all that other great stuff you have there? TV is about so much more than just the golf courses and swimming pools. Those are wonderful, but it is the other stuff that makes TV so special.”

And not one word about the CDD’s being in deep do do with the IRS over the tax free bonds. Remember the developer is not in the wrong with the IRS it is the CDD’s the owners of the golf courses and swimming pools.

Will the golf courses and swimming pools be taken my the IRS?
Old 02-07-2010, 04:43 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman911 View Post
**snip**From the post I read on TOTV, there appears to be no shortage of concerned residents who will support their community and give back a little to keep it as it was when they were attracted to it. Sure recipe for success.
The problem (IMHO) is that the residents will continue to age, and will probably become less enamored with parting with dollars from their fixed and limited incomes for amenities that they use less frequently.
I hope The Villages continues forever to be the wonderful place that it was designed to be. But........
Suffering from TV envy
Old 02-07-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC View Post
The problem (IMHO) is that the residents will continue to age, and will probably become less enamored with parting with dollars from their fixed and limited incomes for amenities that they use less frequently.
I hope The Villages continues forever to be the wonderful place that it was designed to be. But........
You will continue to pay you amenity fees just like you will pay your property tax.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Default Irs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
34 posts, 4 pages talking about,

“When the developer is finished, is there a plan for the music to continue in the squares every night? For the landscaping to still be so beautifully maintained? Will the Lifelong Learning College go on? And all that other great stuff you have there? TV is about so much more than just the golf courses and swimming pools. Those are wonderful, but it is the other stuff that makes TV so special.”

And not one word about the CDD’s being in deep do do with the IRS over the tax free bonds. Remember the developer is not in the wrong with the IRS it is the CDD’s the owners of the golf courses and swimming pools.

Will the golf courses and swimming pools be taken my the IRS?
Shadow, any recent news on the IRS issue?
Old 02-07-2010, 10:40 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC View Post
The youngest baby boomers are still in their 40's. A long time to get fresh blood. About 16 years before the youngest boomer hit 62.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbaru View Post
Shadow, any recent news on the IRS issue?
To my knowledge the last thing to come out of the IRS was an offer to settle, if the CDD did not except the offer the investigation would be expanded. It was expanded. I think that was about last May. I have been waiting for the other shoe to drop for months, still nothing.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Sage

There was a recent update article from Janet Tutt, CDD manager, on the IRS issue. I don't recall if it was in a Thur Rec News "Our Place" column, the Daily Sun, or the VHA newsletter.

Anyway, the gist was that the issue has been elevated within the IRS. The original investigating agent has been moved to another position and a new employee has been assigned to this case. Ms Tutt implied that negotiations could be more reasonable with the thorny agent out of the picture (my words, not hers) and indicated that The Villages still feels the IRS will rule in our (TV) favor. She predicted (as I recall) a resolution within a reasonable period of time.

Personally, I don't see this as a major deal breaker for existing or potential residents, but, to each his own on your opinion.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
To my knowledge the last thing to come out of the IRS was an offer to settle, if the CDD did not except the offer the investigation would be expanded. It was expanded. I think that was about last May. I have been waiting for the other shoe to drop for months, still nothing.
Being a newbie here in the villages(5 months) I've heard little snippets about problems with the IRS.Could someone tell me more about the case.In order to not hijack the thread you could send me a personal message with a recap of the specifics..Thanks!!
Old 02-08-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
Being a newbie here in the villages(5 months) I've heard little snippets about problems with the IRS.Could someone tell me more about the case.In order to not hijack the thread you could send me a personal message with a recap of the specifics..Thanks!!
IRS vs VCDD Bonds
Old 02-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Default Be afraid, Be very afraid

That's what I was told by a rep. showing me Summer Glen. She said to avoid CDDs and developer ameneties like the plague. When the dev. moves on he will force the homeowners to buy all the ameneties or close them down. Of course, she was trying to sell a home to me in Summer Glen. What worries me is I also heard a similar story from the people at On Top Of The World. Please say it ain't so.... I love what I've seen at TV and don't want to stress over this. What is your theory on this matter?
Old 02-08-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectreron View Post
That's what I was told by a rep. showing me Summer Glen. She said to avoid CDDs and developer ameneties like the plague. When the dev. moves on he will force the homeowners to buy all the ameneties or close them down. Of course, she was trying to sell a home to me in Summer Glen. What worries me is I also heard a similar story from the people at On Top Of The World. Please say it ain't so.... I love what I've seen at TV and don't want to stress over this. What is your theory on this matter?
“force the homeowners to buy all the ameneties”
That is bull. The CDD in question owns the amenities. The CDD sold tax free bonds to buy the amenities from the developer. That is why the IRS is involved.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.