Lightning Protection Systems

Closed Thread
Old 06-26-2022, 04:22 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
My Lightning Tracker is a good app for monitoring lightning strikes all around the world in close to real-time.

My Lightning Tracker | jRustonApps
Thanks to all who helped. I'll give them a try.
Old 06-27-2022, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sounding View Post
I used A-1 and am very satisfied with them. If you attend one of Len Hathaway's "lightning" talks he lists the local vendors which follow standard procedures -- and A-1 is one of them.
We went with Triangle because Bobby the owner of the company has an incredible amount of experience and knowledge with LPS. For those who know a lot about LPS he's really interesting to talk to. He also goes over the rest of your electrical system reviewing and giving you information about surge protectors and other devices to protect your home. Good lightning protection is a layered system and he will explain how it works so you are protected. They also do a lot of commercial work which has to be done to exact standards. They installed the LPS systems in Brownwood. I hear Danny at A-1 is also very good as well. You can't go wrong with either company.

The only difference that i can tell between the installation of A1 vs Triangle is A1 drills a hole in the roof into the soffit to run the ground wire to the side of the house where Triangle goes over the gutter avoiding these extral holes. Both methods are fine and i'm sure A1 seals everything well but in my opinion less holes in the roof the better. Also some day when your roof needs to be replaced it's easier to re-connect the system using the method that Triangle uses.

The one big thing is make sure no matter who you get is to request that a grounding test be done with your job. There usually isn't a problem with the soil and the ground rods here in the villages But you don't know if it's not tested.

Once installed you can have your LPS system inspeced every 3-5 years to insure that the grounding and the rest of the systems is in good working order. There is also a web site by Frank Criste with lots of Lightning information. Go to lightningprotectionthevillages.com Frank as with Len Hathaway are two experts here in the Villages on Lightning. They will explain the topic in easy to understand terms and will give you the facts. From there you can decide if you want to make the small investment in a LPS to maybe save your home and life some day. We are lucky to have them here in the Villages.

Last edited by jrref; 06-27-2022 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-27-2022, 08:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post

The only difference that i can tell between the installation of A1 vs Triangle is A1 drills a hole in the roof into the soffit to run the ground wire to the side of the house where Triangle goes over the gutter avoiding these extral holes. Both methods are fine and i'm sure A1 seals everything well but in my opinion less holes in the roof the better. Also some day when your roof needs to be replaced it's easier to re-connect the system using the method that Triangle uses.

Agree, plus I wonder how a minimum bend radius is maintained running the cable through a hole?
Old 06-27-2022, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Agree, plus I wonder how a minimum bend radius is maintained running the cable through a hole?
Correct! It's interesting, when bike riding this morning i looked at a couple of homes with the ground cable going through the roof and the bend is almost 90 degrees when it goes into the fitting penetrating the roof which i believe is too tight.

Last edited by jrref; 06-27-2022 at 11:43 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
lightning, installed, system, lps, roof

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.