Lime Deposit???

Closed Thread
Old 12-22-2013, 03:30 PM
Default Lime Deposit???

We have a pre-owned home - 10 years old. Since moving in 3 years ago, I have blamed my dishwasher for a lousy job cleaning glasses. I have seen what I think are lime deposits on the glass walls of our shower and even in our dog's water dish.
Glasses come out of the dishwasher with a foggy film and if we keep a glass in the bathroom for longer than 5 days, there is a deposit of "something white" on the bottom.
So, my question is simple - have others experienced this and how did you solve it?
Thanks... I'm willing to spend the money on a filtration system, but wanted some feedback from the TV experts.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

we have found the water here in TV to be the hardest water of anywhere we have ever lived.

And yes the lime content literally makes it's mark on everything.

I haven't been convinced yet that just putting a filter in will solve the problem.

A water softner is not an option for us because of the salt content and we do not care for the "never" really rinsed feel.

So we wait.

Good luck.

btk
Old 12-22-2013, 04:09 PM
Sage

You're waiting for the water to become miraculously softer.
Good luck.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 12-22-2013, 06:21 PM
Location: Village of Hillsborough. (Past) Gilbertsvile, PA and Philadelphia, PA

We had the same problem up North. I brought my glassware here with me and our new diswasher states to use an afresh tablet once a month. My glasses look like new. Apparently the new detergents do not have phosphates and that is why there is a build up. I would try it a couple of times first before the expense of water filtration
Old 12-22-2013, 06:26 PM
Veteran member

We have the same problem in PA. It was solved with a water softener. We also found we didn't have nearly as many calls to the plumber with the damage done by the hard water.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:49 PM
Platinum member

Run your dishwasher empty with some white vinegar or if you can find the old product Tang run that through. Must be done periodically.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:52 PM
Sage
For the dishes, switch to Finish Powertabs if you're using a different product and add a dash of Lemi-Shine each time you wash dishes. This inexpensive solution improved my dishes and glasses 100%.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

I just installed a Sears water softer, and a Sears whole house water filter, the results were fantastic. A note for billethkid, I bought a kit to test for salt, and there is NONE in the water. So now we have wonderful water, and NO film build up in the glasses or crystal from the dishwasher, and we have run out of the Jet Dry stuff.
After 2 weeks, is tested the water in the house, no chlorine, no hardness, neutral Ph, and no salt. Total cost, less than $1500, including $600 for plumber to install system, and the drain field for the 2 devices.

Hope this info helps.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I just installed a Sears water softer, and a Sears whole house water filter, the results were fantastic. A note for billethkid, I bought a kit to test for salt, and there is NONE in the water. So now we have wonderful water, and NO film build up in the glasses or crystal from the dishwasher, and we have run out of the Jet Dry stuff.
After 2 weeks, is tested the water in the house, no chlorine, no hardness, neutral Ph, and no salt. Total cost, less than $1500, including $600 for plumber to install system, and the drain field for the 2 devices.

Hope this info helps.
We installed a Sears too and tested as well with the same results. We're very pleased.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
For the dishes, switch to Finish Powertabs if you're using a different product and add a dash of Lemi-Shine each time you wash dishes. This inexpensive solution improved my dishes and glasses 100%.
Agree. But we use Lemi-Shine in the rinse resevoir. It is better than Jet Dry and doesn't leave a taste on the glasses and cups. I get Lemi Shine at Walmart but think I have seen it Publix. We have a Pelican brand filtration system to remove the chlorine smell from our water. We are used to well water and the chlorine smell and taste in the water was not acceptable for us. It has some softening effect but is not a water softener since it does not use salt. That said, I don't have near the build up of lime deposits on the faucets. We don't have a problem with the glass block in the shower getting water spots as we use a squeegee to wipe the entire shower down after each use. Hope this helps.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

We have a water softener too. We've had one for 25 years and wouldn't live without one. We know the instant the softener runs out of salt--our skin feel immediately itchy. We don't have that never-rinsed feeling because we've learned to use less soap and shampoo.

Fixing the dishwasher problem will not solve the lime deposit problem on sinks and shower walls... or dingy clothes coming out of the washing machine. I think a filtration system or water softener (or both) is a good solution.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:15 PM

We're now using cascade rinse aid in the dishwasher and it seems to be keeping the film off the dishes...after I first removed the film by hand washing with about a cup of vinegar in a couple gallons of water in the sink. Be careful when using the lemi-shine powder in the dishwasher to take the film off the dishes. It made our dishes sparkle, but took the markings off a measuring cup.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:33 PM

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I see a water softener in our future. We had one in NH as our well water was awful... In the meantime, I'll check out the different rinses for our new dishwasher...
It's always something, isn't it?
Old 12-22-2013, 09:04 PM
Gold member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyisle View Post
we have a pre-owned home - 10 years old. Since moving in 3 years ago, i have blamed my dishwasher for a lousy job cleaning glasses. I have seen what i think are lime deposits on the glass walls of our shower and even in our dog's water dish.
Glasses come out of the dishwasher with a foggy film and if we keep a glass in the bathroom for longer than 5 days, there is a deposit of "something white" on the bottom.
So, my question is simple - have others experienced this and how did you solve it?
Thanks... I'm willing to spend the money on a filtration system, but wanted some feedback from the tv experts.
the problem started about three years ago when the epa banned the use of phosphate in the dish washer detergents. Aluminum pots and pans become pewter colored. A big part of the solution is to use and additive called lemi shine. This product is available at walmart and most other stores. I believe it will return the shine to your glasses.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:44 PM
Sage

You may want to get the real facts about water softeners, they still leave the chlorine and all other contaminants in water.

You're using dirty soft water

See here

Read this also for a better less expensive alternative.

The Villages Florida
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.