Linai floor cracks within a year. Anyone had this happen?

Closed Thread
Old 07-19-2022, 09:42 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
We had a laminate wood flooring installed.
Pulled up the old carpeting and found one small crack approx. 7-8 feet long.

I ask the flooring installer about sealing those cracks to keep bugs out while it was exposed,
and he said they lay a plastic sheathing down before pouring the concrete slab.

Anyone know that for sure??
Yes they do:
Time stamp 12:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDO3ft_N6g8
It's required by code.
Old 07-19-2022, 11:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ SLIM View Post
We are purchasing another house in TV. We are considering painting or putting tile in the Lanai right away. Someone told us this will void the warranty so if you develop bad cracks, they won't repair it. Has anyone had bad cracks in their lanai floor within 1 yr of closing?
I've heard the same thing. These homes are built on a slab as the home settles cracks are possible. Your lanai will be painted in the as delivered home. Why not just wait a year or so?
Our home is now 9 years old. First year we had a small crack in the garage wall patched by the builder no further problems.
Old 07-19-2022, 03:30 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,353 Times in 1,450 Posts

We had The Floor Shoppe put porcelain tile on our lanai 90 days after it was poured, they used the membrane under it and we never had a problem, not even with the grout, it's been over 5 years now and all is well.
Old 07-19-2022, 04:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,747 Times in 5,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.R.I.T.S. View Post
We've been here 17 years. When we bought our new home, we were told that cracks in concrete were "cosmetic" and common in FL. Since we have not had problems with concrete, I don't know if there's a threshold as to size of cracks; i.e., if large cracks would be considered foundational problems that I believe are covered for 10 years. When we had flooring replaced in 2020, the contractor did not find any concrete cracks. Definitely contact the Warranty Department if your home is still under the year warranty to be sure whatever work is performed does not impact the warranty. Additional advice: as you approach your end of the warranty period, hire a home inspector. We did in 2006, and the few items the inspector found were repaired immediately by the builder. We've always allowed ourselves an extended period of time to in live in a new home before making major changes. Same goes for landscaping.
There are definitely thresholds for the size of cracks in various concrete parts of your house. These are clearly described on pages 14 and 15 in the "2-10 Home Buyers Warranty" booklet that you received when you purchased your house. In the booklet, most concrete crack defects are only covered for one year. I would recommend that anyone buying a new house should read the booklet and measure and photograph any concrete cracks that they observe in their house during the first year of ownership.
Old 07-20-2022, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
We had a laminate wood flooring installed.
Pulled up the old carpeting and found one small crack approx. 7-8 feet long.

I ask the flooring installer about sealing those cracks to keep bugs out while it was exposed,
and he said they lay a plastic sheathing down before pouring the concrete slab.

Anyone know that for sure??
Yes
Old 07-20-2022, 01:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick B View Post
Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
Yes they do:
Time stamp 12:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDO3ft_N6g8
It's required by code.
WOW, my dad always told me your never too old to learn.

Thanks for taking the time and post the U-tube video, question answered.
Old 07-22-2022, 01:00 AM
Default Response from warranty dept

I asked the warranty dept about upgrading the Lanai floor. Here is what they said.

"Any aftermarket changes made to the lanai/home will void the warranty in that area, if there are damages caused by the aftermarket changes those would not be under warranty."
Closed Thread

Tags
cracks, lanai, floor, bad, warranty

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.