List of over 70 English television stations I get with antenna, north part of TV.

View Poll Results: How do you watch Televisions?
I don't watch television. 0 0%
I only use an antenna (outside, attic, or in the home). 0 0%
I only use cable. 1 16.67%
I only use free streaming. 0 0%
I use free and paid streaming. 1 16.67%
I use an antenna and cable. 0 0%
I use an antenna and free streaming. 1 16.67%
I use an antenna, free and paid streaming. 3 50.00%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 07-11-2023, 01:43 PM

I've checked antennaweb.com for my address near 466a and it did not predict very good results. Are you using an antenna extension on your roof? We are not allowed to put antenna's on the roof in our area restrictions. Just wondering!
Old 07-11-2023, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJBeck View Post
I've checked antennaweb.com for my address near 466a and it did not predict very good results. Are you using an antenna extension on your roof? We are not allowed to put antenna's on the roof in our area restrictions. Just wondering!
Actually, antenna.org is extremely pessimistic and only shows three stations for my location, all in different directions.
DTV Reception Maps | Federal Communications Commission
Is a lot better as it shows 25 stations, some in different directions.
Neither one gives sub-channels. You can look at the first post to get an indication of the number of sub-channels.
Old 07-11-2023, 10:26 PM
Default Antenna.

I have an antenna mounted on a pole outside from the ground up I think it's 20 feet? Unfortunately the coax needs to be replaced. I'm using a Firestick and the Kodi app and get TV stations from around the globe. In Boston I had a yagi quad Similar to the antenna in the link below installed on my roof and could pull in stations from CT on a good day, and parts of VT, Northern NH, RI and Maine.

Yagi, quad array, 15 dBd, black anodized, quad, 380-400 MHz
– Sinclair Technologies
Old 07-12-2023, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu4206 View Post
I have an antenna mounted on a pole outside from the ground up I think it's 20 feet? Unfortunately the coax needs to be replaced. I'm using a Firestick and the Kodi app and get TV stations from around the globe. In Boston I had a yagi quad Similar to the antenna in the link below installed on my roof and could pull in stations from CT on a good day, and parts of VT, Northern NH, RI and Maine.

Yagi, quad array, 15 dBd, black anodized, quad, 380-400 MHz
– Sinclair Technologies
A quad yagi television antenna is interesting & not very common.

I assume because you could only find something "similar", your antenna has horizontal elements not vertical. Correct? Also, the similar antenna is only UHF. Most television stations in our market use UHF but some like 2.1 WESH (NBC), 2.2 MeTv, and 2.3 Story, use high VHF and should be different to pickup with an UHF only antenna.

The antenna I'm using has 8 UHF antennas. I wasn't too interested at first because it did not have high VHF. However after seeing this antenna in action & reviews explaining why it also works for hi-VHF, I decided to get it.
Old 07-12-2023, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVillages View Post

I assume because you could only find something "similar", your antenna has horizontal elements not vertical. Correct? Also, the similar antenna is only UHF. Most television stations in our market use UHF but some like 2.1 WESH (NBC), 2.2 MeTv, and 2.3 Story, use high VHF and should be different to pickup with an UHF only antenna.

The antenna I'm using has 8 UHF antennas. I wasn't too interested at first because it did not have high VHF. However after seeing this antenna in action & reviews explaining why it also works for hi-VHF, I decided to get it.
My UHF Yagi pulls in Channel 2 with no problem. It is consistently 4 out of 5 bars on my TV's signal strength indicator. I did have issues back when I was trying to get a Low VHF channel (6) when I lived outside of Philly. Nothing I did would get that to come in.

And yes, Antenna Web doesn't even find my address. I can just put in the zip code, however, and it will show what is available. I always set it for "Antenna will be 30 feet". Mine is only about 10 feet, in the attic, and I get all of the channels they note at 30 feet. It helps that Florida is flat as a pancake.

Of course, your mileage may vary, as TV signals are finicky things.
Old 07-12-2023, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJBeck View Post
I've checked antennaweb.com for my address near 466a and it did not predict very goodresults. Are you using an antenna extension on your roof? We are not allowed to put antenna's on the roof in our area restrictions. Just wondering!
Read your dead restrictions again. Mine basically say antennas are banned to the extent the law allows them to be banned. Federal law states other governments, dead restrictions, and any entity other than federal law CANNOT FORBID or even require pre-approval of television antennas. Federal law has the only say for outdoor televisions antennas

You should have no problem following the federal television antenna law.

Links to federal antenna law:
Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule | Federal Communications Commission
Installing Consumer-Owned Antennas and Satellite Dishes | Federal Communications Commission

Last edited by MikeVillages; 07-12-2023 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Update
Old 07-12-2023, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Read your dead restrictions again. Mine basically say antennas are banned to the extent the law allows them to be banned. Federal law states other governments, dead restrictions, and any entity other than federal law CANNOT FORBID or even require pre-approval of television antennas. Federal law has the only say for outdoor televisions antennas

You should have no problem following the federal television antenna law.

Links to federal antenna law:
Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule | Federal Communications Commission
Installing Consumer-Owned Antennas and Satellite Dishes | Federal Communications Commission
All true. That said, I chose to go the attic route because it gets everything and no one can see it. Also, no need for a tall pole/roof mount, and it is protected from wind and rain.

While most outdoor antennas here look fine (to me) there is one visible on the third hole of LowLands course. Looks like the leaning tower of Pisa, at least the last time I played there.
Old 07-12-2023, 11:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

When I lived up north we had a antenna tower like this with a rotor on it.
I've never seen them here around the villages.

American Tower Amerite AME 25-T 9 Foot Top Section (AME25T)
Old 07-12-2023, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
When I lived up north we had a antenna tower like this with a rotor on it.
I've never seen them here around the villages.

American Tower Amerite AME 25-T 9 Foot Top Section (AME25T)
In the Villages, you should not need a rotor. There isn't anything in Ocala that you can't get out of Orlando. For me, AntennaWeb puts me on an azimuth of about 110 degrees towards Orlando/Melbourne. Set it, and locked it down. Done.
Old 07-12-2023, 06:52 PM

Do you lose signal during rain storms?
Old 07-13-2023, 02:23 AM

Quote:

My situation was very uncommon. I worked for a TV station in Boston I was the Cheif Engineers assistant, not an engineer myself but I did learn alot and did things I wasn't really supposed to do.

He set up the yagi and installed it at my house. It was a lot bigger than the example I posted. It did get UHF and VHF signals.

The reason he set it up at my house was the headends would call me instead of him at 3am saying we were off the air. I'd turn on the yaggi TV tell them nope it's on your end! I forget the name of the company in Cambride or Somerville. But they would take our OTA signal and send it via fiber to the headends. Yes at the time people were paying for an OTA signal the could get for free until they finaly brought the fiber to the transmitter site in Newton.
Old 07-13-2023, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2022 View Post
Not yet. Once it became pixelated for about a second. It was sunny outside. My "Florida Storm" app showed heavy rain between me at the stations transmitters which are about 62.5 miles away.

I have the antenna connected directly to one television. I also have my SiliconDust HDHomeRun 4K connected to the antenna & my router so I can watch on smart televisions, tablets, computers, etc over my local network including wifi. This device has a single meter PC utility. The strength and quality are at or near 100%.

https://youtu.be/P9hGipgLtng
https://youtu.be/ManEvz6ADvA
I don't have the audio issues he had with the Next Gen ATSC 3.0 stations in the first video. I downloaded a 99 cent app to solve the issue.
Old 07-13-2023, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2022 View Post
I never lose signal for any length of time. Some pixilation if there is a heavy storm between me and the transmitters, but not much/for long.

You bring up another good point to have an antenna. Should you lose internet or cable, you have no TV. With an antenna, as long as you have power, you have TV.

Last edited by Battlebasset; 07-13-2023 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 07-13-2023, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu4206 View Post
My situation was very uncommon. I worked for a TV station in Boston I was the Cheif Engineers assistant, not an engineer myself but I did learn alot and did things I wasn't really supposed to do.

He set up the yagi and installed it at my house. It was a lot bigger than the example I posted. It did get UHF and VHF signals.

The reason he set it up at my house was the headends would call me instead of him at 3am saying we were off the air. I'd turn on the yaggi TV tell them nope it's on your end! I forget the name of the company in Cambride or Somerville. But they would take our OTA signal and send it via fiber to the headends. Yes at the time people were paying for an OTA signal the could get for free until they finaly brought the fiber to the transmitter site in Newton.
Thank you for the information. Boston's antenna farm is in Newton. Are you saying a Boston OTA (Over The Air) station was unable to transmit OTA? If so, what station and about when was that?
Old 07-13-2023, 08:09 AM

. . . . . . I can see it now...........
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Grandma will fix it.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	99251  
Closed Thread

Tags
atsc, version, gen, christian, pbs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.