To list with The Villages or not?

Closed Thread
Old 05-14-2018, 06:31 AM
Default To list with The Villages or not?

My husband and I are thinking of moving to Fenney and have been speaking to several Village realtors. Their overall responsel is telling us what a great value a new home is as opposed to purchasing a resale. In fact, one of them stated that resales are overpriced because of upgrades that a buyer may, or may not be interested in. My take on all of this is why would I want to list my home with The Villages when all they are marketing in reality are the new homes? BTW I currently own a home in The Villages that I would need to sell prior to purchasing a new home.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:43 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Last year The Villages agents sold 2200 new homes and 2200 re-sales so they are not really marketing just new homes. I'm not sure how many re-sales were sold by MLS realtors last year but maybe someone who knows can reply.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,730 Times in 5,250 Posts

I would list my home with the Villages, and choose an experienced and high volume agent. The Villages listings just seem to get the most advertising exposure. And, all agents are going to try to sell your house, regardless of which company has the listing contract.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:28 AM
Gold member

This week we are listing our corner courtyard villa with pool with an outside realtor. Will see how it goes.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,730 Times in 5,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debfrommaine View Post
This week we are listing our corner courtyard villa with pool with an outside realtor. Will see how it goes.
A courtyard villa on my street was listed with an experienced agent of The Villages last week and it sold the same day.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:40 AM
Sage

I feel that if your home is priced right, not in a state of disrepair, and is presented clean an orderly it will sell as long as it is marketed correctly. A lot of homes are sold before they are even shown on the MLS and/or advertised. We used Beth Pope of The Villages realty, no nonsense, very experienced and doesn't waste yours or the buyers time, she knows what her buyers want and that what she shows them. Her team consists of herself, her husband Todd, and her daughter Kelly, all are Villages agents.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:40 AM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

If u list with the villages contact Dana Cruz she and her husband Toby are high producers. I bought and sold with them and it was a good experience. When I bought, Dana did not suggest buying new. We bought used
Old 05-14-2018, 07:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I think Jim McLaughlin is an awesome rep for The Villages, and Mary Grant is a hard working Realtor.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:52 AM
Sage

It's great that we all have our favorites, shows us how many hard working experienced agents TV has.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:08 AM

Our favorite is Alicia Ford.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:30 AM

Coming from somewhere with only a handful of brokers and being lucky to have sold my home in "only" 8 months, when I have seen and experienced how quickly desirable homes move here in TV, I would take a shot at trying to sell FSBO before listing with anyone. That's not a knock against VLS or MLS agents at all. But selling without a commission to pay leaves a lot more room for negotiation between you and the buyer. There is information and even tools to use here for FSBO so you don't have to be an expert as long as you take the time or make the effort to determine what the market value is for your home. If the FSBO thing doesn't work out over a short period of time, you aren't bound to any contracts and can always list with an agent at that point. Doing it the other way around is not so easy.

As far as what you were told, the agents were probably just telling you the facts as they see them. I'm sure they are more than happy to sell a brand new home or a pre-owned home that is listed on VLS. Of course a seller wants to get value for the investments they have made in a home. But they only have value to the buyer if they are changes and upgrades that the buyer wants, so it can be a challenge. It's usually a good deal when you can find a home that has been done already like you would want it. On the other hand, if things have been done that you want to change, you feel, as a buyer, that you are paying extra for things that you don't want and then have to spend even more money changing them. We kept tabs on pre-owned homes for months while we waited to sell our old house. Clearly, the homes that were "done right", came and went in the blink of an eye, while others that weren't done right or done at all continued to sit there. So, we faced a double challenge - first, find the right home for us and, second, being the first ones to get a chance to buy it. Ultimately we just went with a new home that we can do to our liking.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiots View Post
Coming from somewhere with only a handful of brokers and being lucky to have sold my home in "only" 8 months, when I have seen and experienced how quickly desirable homes move here in TV, I would take a shot at trying to sell FSBO before listing with anyone. That's not a knock against VLS or MLS agents at all. But selling without a commission to pay leaves a lot more room for negotiation between you and the buyer. There is information and even tools to use here for FSBO so you don't have to be an expert as long as you take the time or make the effort to determine what the market value is for your home. If the FSBO thing doesn't work out over a short period of time, you aren't bound to any contracts and can always list with an agent at that point. Doing it the other way around is not so easy.

As far as what you were told, the agents were probably just telling you the facts as they see them. I'm sure they are more than happy to sell a brand new home or a pre-owned home that is listed on VLS. Of course a seller wants to get value for the investments they have made in a home. But they only have value to the buyer if they are changes and upgrades that the buyer wants, so it can be a challenge. It's usually a good deal when you can find a home that has been done already like you would want it. On the other hand, if things have been done that you want to change, you feel, as a buyer, that you are paying extra for things that you don't want and then have to spend even more money changing them. We kept tabs on pre-owned homes for months while we waited to sell our old house. Clearly, the homes that were "done right", came and went in the blink of an eye, while others that weren't done right or done at all continued to sit there. So, we faced a double challenge - first, find the right home for us and, second, being the first ones to get a chance to buy it. Ultimately we just went with a new home that we can do to our liking.
We sold our first home here, without an agent.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:32 AM

Four years ago we listed our home with the Villages. 6 months later they had shown the place one time and after our insistence they had one open house. I think they were too busy selling new places to even show ours and were using it as a "you can buy a new house cheaper" example. So we cancelled our contract with them, re-listed it with Re-Max and it sold within 2 weeks. However we bought another used house and bought it from The Villages at a open house they were having.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:43 AM

Take it from someone who was recently searching and was doing a lot of looking while waiting for things to line up to be able to buy - if you have a desirable home for sale, people will see it and find it. I watched the FSBO, TV Homefinder, and the outside broker listings daily. Every single home that checked most of our boxes sold in no time and it didn't matter where it was listed. If I had a home that had maybe a "red flag" or two as far as location or show condition, I would consider going and looking for a professional sales person that could use their skills to help. But my 2 cents - I'd give my home a chance to sell itself first, even if just for a little while. It was obvious to me that I wasn't the only one out there watching closely and waiting for the chance to pounce.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:17 AM
Sage

From all my observations around Tamarind Grove, the houses lis with TV linger quite awhile--the houses listed with Sally Love are sold very quickly
Closed Thread

Tags
home, villages, purchasing, list, upgrades

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.